Deadly Re-entry what angle to return safely? (SOLVED)

Hey all,

I posted this on another thread but no luck so far so imma ask again here:

I recently installed Deadly Re-entry (and i absolutely love it) but i am a bit stumped on how to get back. With my initial test re entry probe i followed someone's advice and set my periapsis to 60km, it worked like a charm and the heat shield only heated up to about a 1k degrees before cooling down.

When I launched Bob into orbit with a 1 man pod I tried the same thing; setting the periapsis at 60km, but unfortunately he didn't make it :(. For some reason the shield heated up more than it did in my first test. So after launching a few other test probes I have learned thus far that the re-entry angle depends greatly on what your apoapsis (and possibly your mass too but not quite sure) is. Is there anyway to calculate the angle?

The general "set PE to 60km" rule doesn't seem to work. I have a number of probes now stuck in permanent orbit since they "bounced" off.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Sleipnir

I usually set my PE at around 35-45 km, depending on my speed. It seems to work fine, even for returning from the Mun.

hmm, didnt work for me, i just tried it. AP 91km PE 41km, I burned up instantly. I used a small test probe again

Well, I honestly don't understand what the problem is. What version of deadly reentry are you using? Can you post a picture of your probe? Or the craft file?

Here is what happens to me:

From a stable 70 km orbit I set the AP to 36 km:

Reentry1.png

My craft drops to 32 km, slowing down without significant heating:

Reentry2.png

At an altitude below 28 km the heat shield starts to heat up:

Reentry3.png

The heat shield temperature rises to the maximum temperature of 5485 degrees at around 20 km altitude, then starts to cool down:

Reentry4.png

Reentry5.png

Parachutes opening, dumping heat shield:

Reentry6.png

Edited by Awaras

Hmm, your angle is much steeper than mine. I linked the craft file and a pic.

http://my.rapidshare.com/8leggedsleipnir/2357

I use the KSPX, Ferram and Deadly Re-entry mods for that ship.

I saw R4m0ns youtube vid about this mod and he posted on there that he uses a PE of about 35km himself with no problem which is really weird. I used 1.3 version of the mod

I tried your craft on the same descent profile as the one from my previous post and landed with no issues. It's probably something to do with ferram, since I don't use it (I don't fly spaceplanes much, and it makes it way too easy to launch rockets).

Also, I don't think that putting the heat shield directly onto a full fuel tank is a good idea. When the heat shield heats up it transfers heat to whatever it is connected to, and fuel tanks have lower heat tolerance than command pods (but strangely not lower than probe cores...).

Edited by Awaras

I tried your craft on the same descent profile as the one from my previous post and landed with no issues. It's probably something to do with ferram, since I don't use it (I don't fly spaceplanes much, and it makes it way too easy to launch rockets).

Also, I don't think that putting the heat shield directly onto a full fuel tank is a good idea. When the heat shield heats up it transfers heat to whatever it is connected to, and fuel tanks have lower heat tolerance than command pods (but strangely not lower than probe cores...).

oh ok, yeah I put the tank there to add more weight to simulate a command pod. thanks for the tips.

But that kinda sucks, i really like ferram, adds more realism.

Hmm so this means I have to find a more specific re-entry angle then since I am probably gonna leave ferram installed. Guess that makes it more realistic too then. Thanks for the advice tho.

It's certainly Ferram.

I believe it's the fact that the pod has less drag and thus can go faster in the atmosphere, yet the Deadly Reentry mod doesn't realize that there's less drag so still calculates a corresponding rise in heat.

It's one or the other, I'm sure those problems will be addressed eventually.

It's certainly Ferram.

I believe it's the fact that the pod has less drag and thus can go faster in the atmosphere, yet the Deadly Reentry mod doesn't realize that there's less drag so still calculates a corresponding rise in heat.

It's one or the other, I'm sure those problems will be addressed eventually.

Yeah, I just PM'ed R4m0n and asked him how I could edit his mod to work out this problem, I am gonna keep both mods tho, if he doesn't have a solution i might just raise the Max. Heat Shield Temp.

Once I got this worked out I will post the solution so others who run both mods can fix the problem too.

Deadly re-entry just goes by the intensity of squad's re-entry visuals and doesn't calculate anything itself.

ok, do you know if I can edit the re-entry visual settings? do they have a config file?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.