What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Redesigned the components of my Gilly science mission and launched them to orbit; everything made it up though the transfer stage was touch-and-go there towards the end. Needs moar struts if I decide I need to redesign that bit, which I'm considering since I missed a few of the experiments when I set up the action groups. As for the lander portion, a test run to Minmus might not go amiss.

Installed RSS and all the required/recommended mods.

Made it to orbit. Barely.

Burnt most of the craft up on reentry, the rest was destroyed when it hit the water.

Built a redstone-ish suborbital thing that I actually recovered.

RSS makes things hard! I love it!

I don't know how to explain what i did today without a wall of pics :P So here goes:

So this is my rocket i use to "train" Kerbs that have never flown before, a simple orbiter, with Bill as the teacher. Turns out, one of the Kerbanauts, Rodzor Kerman, was BadS like Jeb, so i decided to see how BadS he really is.

6lnRFhU.png

Derping around in orbit

brqnhW4.png

The two trainees, training

oPGrUdO.png

But then here came the test, how BadS was Rodzor really?

yfO2E3E.png

It's a shooting star, or a ship on reentry

CyklStw.png

Wait, that's no ship...

vHPWd4a.png

It's Rodzor! (he's still not scared)

BSdxNhL.png

FreeFalling

bZ1gUGw.png

Good thing i brought a chute

gE9mH8a.png

Chute Deployed

wZLCEXO.png

Almost there

XFygvub.png

Conclusion: Rodzor is very much BadS

l8enlhC.png

Now, his next test is to swim back to KSC. Nope

4gLXELF.png

Meanwhile, Bill and Chadbus are pretty upset now that their pod is offbalance

qWWoIqM.png

So thank Kod for KAS. That is what i have done today. Productive, hey :wink:

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Tried the rover-jump-into-nuclear-lander-exhaust thing - no go. Because there wasn't the fuel to fire the engines full blast, get out, get to the rover, build up speed for the jump and actually do it. Then went for a long drive in the rover to try to reach the distant (and only functioning) escape system, rolling the rover several times until all power generation was stripped off it.

3feuuu.png

The above is an image of Dozer and Harbus getting around the relative lack of seats and the imbalance from lost RTGs. Hope you didn't need those headlights either, guys.

Then set up a refuel mission and learned how to dock with landed structures on the fly (as it were). Link here for the full story and the return.

Could you post some pictures of that thing in action?

Sure. Basically the "bombs" are just used to collect science with out having to land or transmit the data.

qs6k7n9.jpg

wf81A6Y.jpg

That Vampire looks very much like the real thing! Could you post the craft file?

Here you go!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0tnwtn11fb9rf42/Vampire%20L89%20Science%20Bomber.craft

Action groups: '1' drops the extra fuel under the wings and '2' drops the "science bombs"

It could be better. Both the Vampire and Me 262 would look much better if we had '0.5m' jet engines.

In an attempt to fill a capability hole, I built a trio of transports capable of Mach 5+ and circumnavigation - SST-M, SST-L and SST-XL. These will be used to deploy and support science bases across Kerbin. During shakedown flights SST-M performed well above expectations leading to a derivative being built to perform a Shuttle/Space Station Support Vehicle role. The modifications have reduced the in-atmosphere range, however payload is unchanged.

SST-XL is one of the largest planes I've built (that actually fly, anyway...) and has a complicated gear system. The large body and heavy payload requires large landing gears - these gears aren't exactly easy to steer on the runway/taxiing so secondary steerable front gears can be extended and the main gear retracted allowing the craft to maneuver in a nose-down but manageable fashion. Landing using these secondary gears is prohibited due to the likelihood of doom and destruction.

Left to right - SST-L, SST-XL, SST-M

IKEXXacl.png

Some individual shots

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I made a science bomber -type thing a while back too, so I could get readings from all the biomes on the Africa-looking peninsula west of KSC without having to launch a bunch of separate planes. It looked stupid, unlike yours, so I didn't save it.

Today in KSP I did nothing because I had to work all day :C

Used my Gilly lander (designed to conduct the transfer from Eve to Gilly and come back to Eve) on test runs to Mun and Minmus for science. Snagged over 1800 science between the two missions - a very successful run indeed. Just have another nine techs to go unlock the entire tech tree (the ones that are left are the ones for large spaceplane and rover parts, and ion engines - and I'm not counting the extra one that KAS throws in there to unlock the Electromagnet).

I built a monster of a ship to go check out Dres and get the last 200 science I needed to finally finish career mode 0.23.

44 boosters... mmm.

4DB4D7CAA65B6D338458B542792F30EC3B65DF7A

It got to Dres, landed, SCIENCED, lifted off, got back into orbit.. but didn't quite have the oomph to come back home. Luckily, the transmitted science was enough. ^^

In my current game, the kethane distribution on Laythe is horrible, so I had a need to move large amounts of kethane from one of the few places where it's on land to the main spaceport on the equator. Thus, using Firespitter pontoons, I built a boat capable of moving a full 16,000-size kethane tank at about 55m/s (it will do about 90m/s empty). It burns some of the kethane en route but not enough to matter. And then I figured a way to get it off Kerbin and make it land on Laythe. Took most of the day to get this done. The hard part was making the thing balanced under thrust when pushed from behind despite its horrifically asymmetrical shape.

13021268165_234cfc07b1_b.jpg

13021662214_1cf213d44a_b.jpg

Oh wow, the struts must number in the hundreds!

And I succesfully got this into orbit:

screenshot1418_zpsbb9a04e0.png

It was close. My launcher is rated for 55 tons, and that fatass weighs about 59. The insertion stage just barely had enough fuel left to deorbit :rolleyes:

I landed a 2m nuclear reactor/generator on Minmus near the science lander that I had sent earlier.

I miscalculated the number of radiators that I would need, so I need to send a big radiator module...

No pictures, because I just recently updated my OS (skipped 3 versions!), and it appears that my screenshot button no longer works? I'll be looking into it.

I also set up a very simple automator workflow to back up my saves folder each time I boot up the game :)

I added a second renaming clause to add a seconds-from-midnight stamp after the date to prevent overwriting if I boot up the game more than once in a day.

It is currently sitting in my dock, skinned up with the Kerbal icon like the actual KSP app... I'll never forget to back up my saves ever again!

GENIUS

2014-03-08105012pm_zpse48726f2.png

1d12f925-8f0b-4008-8a11-ec80eae708d8_zps9345929b.png

Sure. Basically the "bombs" are just used to collect science with out having to land or transmit the data.

http://i.imgur.com/qs6k7n9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wf81A6Y.jpg

Here you go!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0tnwtn11fb9rf42/Vampire%20L89%20Science%20Bomber.craft

Action groups: '1' drops the extra fuel under the wings and '2' drops the "science bombs"

It could be better. Both the Vampire and Me 262 would look much better if we had '0.5m' jet engines.

Science bombs should be stock, name and everything