What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I sent Bob Kerman off to Duna in my minimalist science lander.

duna_flag.jpg

Honestly, I think Bob was just happy to get away from Jeb and Bill. They're off playing at my Mun base with another cosmonaut, which went up yesterday.

mun_flag1.jpg

mun_flag2.jpg

mun_flag3.jpg

Overall, everyone's happy with this arrangement.

I attempted to get to Pol but missed my Kerbin circ burn and ended up crashing in the ocean. Don't Alt+Tab KSP without pausing, kids, it doesn't end well.

I might try to get back there in a bit, just have to focus a bit more, heh.

Drove my munar rover around for quite a distance. Flipped it and had to reload so many times. My intention was and still is to get to the south pole of the Mun both i decided that i will just land a rocket there cause driving a rover there would take ages. During my exploring i visited Neil Armstrong memorial planted a flag there and also found a monolith where i planted another flag. Also delivered another 2 rovers to the Mun as i was not satisfied with the first one.

Pictures:

First remote control drone arriving to my humble Mun dwelling

KSP_2013_06_05_14_51_26_252.jpg

Jeb and Bob joyriding

KSP_2013_06_05_18_11_08_048.jpg

Checking out the memorial

KSP_2013_06_05_22_12_36_516.jpg

Not Good...

KSP_2013_06_05_23_16_55_624.jpg

Rover meeting

KSP_2013_06_07_00_22_15_453.jpg

Lonely explorers

KSP_2013_06_07_01_20_39_914.jpg

Hey we found a monolith in a middle of a crater

KSP_2013_06_07_01_34_53_582.jpg

I finally got my Shuttle Orbiter engines configured (see latest blog post for details) and got my flight characteristics sorted out! On that note, I am now continuing my Approach and Landing Tests with my (somewhat) authentic Nasa Shuttle :-)

Actually, come to think of it, I might as well stream my current tests LIVE on Twitch, Come watch if you want.

EVPit6yh.png

I attempted to build a manned Duna lander, a task I have severely neglected. I ended up with a monstrosity with over 17000m/s of delta-V.

As a sidenote, could anyone provide a rough approximation of the dV required for a Moho land-and-return?

Today i installed the second Deep Space Network Antenna near a huge mountain range 1/3 around Kerbin, eastwards. Now i have full view of any point in sky from at least one of the antennas or KSC. Now i am prepared for unmanned deep space exploration missions :)

AwzmACB.png

Ken8Mu5.png

1FXVlVD.png

uHGEmKP.png

I set up my first keostationary satellite network(3 evenly-ish spaced sats). I've landed on every body in the system, built helicopters, boats, cars, spaceplanes, submarines, crashed into the sun, acheived light speed, but have never set up a sat network. I guess I should download remotetech. :P This game is too awesome!

Superfast - Since Nov '12.

So I after my failed first attempt to start a space station around Duna (using the remote tech mod so I want a command station there) I decided to practice by putting it around the mun and sending the second piece that has a couple of landers to dock with it.

After successfully completing that stage I decided to take one of my landers down to see if I could land and then redock to the station.

And now comes the interesting bit (at least to me). I drove the rover around for a bit and upon attempting to dock it back to the lander it ended up stuck floating underneath, suspended by the magical docking force and the Muns gravity!

y2CCu5n.jpg

(Of course I had also forgotten to turn off the tiny fuel tank I have on the rover thats sole purpose is to lift the rover up to dock and so the landers engines used up that fuel without me knowing. -.-')

Had two failed and one successful mission today.

First failure was my Planet-1 mission to Moho. I got the probe and its booster stage into orbit just fine, and launched at what I thought were the optimum angles needed. Ejection burn occurred without problems, and I was able to perform a proper correction burn to put my probe in the same orbital inclination as Moho. That burn - and the time it took - told me two things:

1. My choice for Planet-1's booster engine (the LV-909) was a poor one. More thrust would be needed for faster (and hopefully more accurate) burns.

2. While I factored in enough fuel for Kerbin orbit ejection and Moho orbit capture, I didn't factor in the inclination orbit correction burn. I wasn't going to have enough fuel to complete the mission, leaving the probe to circle the sun for eternity.

I also think I missed the launch window by a small margin, meaning I would have needed more correction burns to get Planet-1 to its destination even if I had the fuel. Well, better luck next time.

My second failure was the first test launch of my Sigma-V Medium-Lift launch vehicle. While I think I have enough fuel for ascent and orbit, I had problems with control during ascent (rocket started to roll as soon as it cleared the launch clamps, and started to yaw a few kilometers up) and the six external boosters flexed on ascent. Solution: winglets on the boosters to control the roll and more struts to keep the boosters still. Sigma 4 will launch in a couple of game-days to test these improvements.

The success, though, was my Mun-1 orbital mission. The Mun-1 probe now sits in an 80 km polar orbit, instruments happily collecting scientific data for future Mun missions.

Not my best track record so far, but progress nonetheless :)

As i have just started, it is small steps. Put up satellites around Kerban, Mun, and Minmus on polar orbits to do kethane and Topo maps. Put up a station core up into 100km, and

did my first docking today.. on the third try. First try I accidentally gave wild thrust at a point when I wanted to us the MOD button and decided to de orbit. Second try i was within 20m and accidentally jettisoned my finally stage with main thruster and RCS pods. Finally got things lined up on the third try and docked... took me a moment to realize that my two ships just became one.

Now have a station core (Lander can 1 and 2, and multi coupler) along with a orbiter/return vessel for Jebidiah and Bob. on my station

IMHO docking has been the most challanging, as well as building stable boosters

Just finished a semi-botched landing on Eeloo. (came in too fast, engine blew up, forces separated the ASAS module with the landing legs from the lander-can)

It survived, nonetheless.

Not really today, since I don't do much that anyone else would consider interesting, but yesterday I performed my first successful interplanetary mission (landing Jeb on Duna), and followed it up by a mission to Jool with the same design. I aerobraked a bit to effectively, but I got the lander to land anyway..... on the surface of Jool.

Managed to design and build a new muti-planetary (hopefully) rover. Managed to land it on the Mun, unfortunately a girder was attached to the bottom with a mishap with decoupler placement. Meant it couldn't move...

Now that problems been resorted and waiting to launch it.

I spent the entire day sitting on Ike's north pole with a trio of asteroid grabbers, waiting for a certain glowing green object. Absolutely nothing. :(

Then I got frustrated and built a cool telescope, which works perfectly. So that's nice.