Duna Permanent Outpost Mission Architecture Challenge

yes it does, thanks. i was sure that we could resupply, just wasnt specifically in the rules. I will have a contingency plan for keeping the crew alive (at least some of them) in case my resupply vehicle doesnt make it. Still got a lot to do, but most of the main parts are together now, mainly working on realism/redundancy/contingency plans and integration into each stage of the mission.

Okay, so it took me a few days, but I have drafted up my plan. I think I'm going to do a video series about this mission, seeing as I have only done the planning stage, and haven't flown anything yet.

Project Fatum

Project Fatum is a two stage mission to set up an outpost on Duna by the end of this year. It will involve the orbital construction of two interplanetary tugs, which shall carry across enough housing and supplies for a manned mission on the red planet that will last indefinitely provided our funding can continue ;)

The first part of this mission will be to scout the red planet for a suitable location for our outpost, as well as scanning the planet for deposits of useful resources. For this purpose, we have designed Scout Probe Alpha. This small probe will be designed to fly to Duna and use its scanners to give an accurate map of the Duna surface, and correlate that map with a scan for minerals to select a suitable base location. Once that is completed, the probe will then detach a rover, which will deorbit and then land at the selected location to confirm its usefulness.

The second part of the mission will involve construction of the first interplanetary ship: Hinnus 1. This ship will be sent up in 4 parts (due to lifter restrictions discussed below), which will include a main body (with habitat for 5 kerbals for the duration of the transfer), 2 separate fuel tanks, and an engine block. This ship will run on a single NERVA engine.

Once the Hinnus 1 is completed, the first mission will require a further six launches before transferring to Duna. These launches will include a Command Centre for the base, a habitat unit, a supply storage unit, a Kethane refinery, as well as two vehicles: a short-range 1 man rover, and a prototype Kethane powered Jet. The goal of the first mission will be to scout the Duna surface surrounding the base, collect Kethane for production into fuel, and to test the prototype jet. If this jet proves useful, the design will be refined into an SSTO for tranfer of crew to and from orbiting ships.

Presuming all goes as planned, the first mission to Duna should arrive at the Red Planet on day 359 of this year. In the meantime, work on the second mission will begin, with the construction of a second interplanetary ship, the Hinnus 2. This ship will work in the exact same way as the Hinnus 1, and will be carrying similar parts to Duna including a lander ship, which will ferry crew and resources down to Duna, and then transfer the old crew back to Hinnus 1 once their mission time is complete.

1024x576.resizedimage

Scout Probe Alpha under construction.

1024x576.resizedimage

Hinnus 1 Core under construction.

Reentry

To protect craft from the heat of reentry, we have developed a heat shield (dubbed 'huskarl shield' by the workers) that will work by deflecting the heat from reentry away from the craft. This design is lightweight, and easy to implement on any craft that will require it. The shield also has attachment points that will allow it to connect together with other parts for transit. Once reentry has been performed these ports are unusable, but the shield is discarded after use anyway.

All base parts will be equipped with a Huskarl shield and a small engine for deorbiting.

1024x576.resizedimage

Huskarl Shield undergoing field tests.

The Lifter

The 'Showboat' class lifter is a manned, reusable lifter. It is crewed by 1 or 2 Kerbals, is equipped with a Huskarl Shield and is entirely reusable save the shield. The Showboat is only able to lift a 17t payload into orbit however, which has lead to some weight-shaving in terms of base parts.

1024x576.resizedimage

'Showboat' on launchpad

1024x576.resizedimage

1st Stage engines recovered at KSC

1024x576.resizedimage

2nd Stage engine before splashdown

1024x576.resizedimage

Final Stage before touchdown at KSC

Supply

The total time for each mission will be ~650 days including travel time. Base supplies will be 3000 units, and the Hinnus ships will carry an extra 1500. Projected requirements for supply are ~3900 for the entire mission, leaving 1100 units for emergency situations. These supplies will last a crew of 6 183 days. Each subsequent mission will carry the same amount of supply, so no mission will rely on another for its survival.

Fuel supplies will be replenished thanks to the refinery on Duna. This will allow the mission to continue indefinately with resupply runs every available window to keep crew alive.

Launch Schedule

010 ^ Hinnus 1 Core
036 ^ Hinnus 1 Fuel Tank
052 ^ Scout Probe Alpha
059 > SPA Transfer to Duna
078 ^ Hinnus 1 Fuel Tank
104 ^ Hinnus 1 Engine
125 ] SPA Duna Insertion and Orbit - Map then deorbit probe over 7-14 days
130 ^ Duna Base Command Centre
156 ^ Duna Base Housing/Supply
182 ^ Duna Base Supply Module
208 ^ Duna Base Kethane Refinery
234 ^ Kethane Jet prototype
260 ^ Short Range Surface Vehicle
290 > H1 Transfer to Duna
312 ^ Hinnus 2 Core
338 ^ Hinnus 2 Fuel Tank
359 ] H1 Duna Insertion and begin landing base over 3-7 days.
364 ^ Hinnus 2 Fuel Tank
390 ^ Hinnus 2 Engine
416 ^ Duna Base Supply
442 ^ Base Construction Parts
468 ^ Duna Base Housing/Supply
494 ^ Duna SSTO lander
520 > H2 Duna Transfer
596 ] H2 Duna Insertion
866 > H1 Kerban Transfer
938 ] H1 Kerban Insertion - Transfer crew to Ground.

All subsequent missions require two launches (1 for supply module, 1 for refueling Hinnus craft and transferring crew)

Summary

Overall, we expect a crew of 6 to arrive on Duna by day 359, which leaves 141 days with 6 kerbals on Duna.

By day 596 the second crew of 6 will have arrived, and until day 938 there will be 12 kerbals on Duna. Once the first crew leaves, there will be 6 kerbals until day 1000.

Projected Early Mission Score: 6 Kerbals x 141 days = 846

Projected Efficiency: 846 / (17 tonne payload x 19 launches) = 2.619

Projected Sustained Mission Score: 6 kerbals x 141 days + 12 Kerbals x 342 days + 6 Kerbals x 62 days = 5322

Projected Efficiency: 5322 / 17 tonne payload x 19 launches) = 16.477

I'll post a video of the actual mission later on this week I think :D Excellent challenge. Thoroughly enjoying this so far.

Edited by Syhrus

...I'll post a video of the actual mission later on this week I think :D Excellent challenge. Thoroughly enjoying this so far.

Glad you liked it! Have you completed the design of the rest of your modules / payloads? If you have you can it post it now so I can actually put your entry on the leaderboard - I can add the mission execution scores later once you have done the missions. Right now we have quite a few Work in Progress reports but not one completed entry on the leaderboard, which may have set some kind of record in the Challenges board considering the thread already have 10000 views and 78 replies.

Don't count me out yet. It's been a while since I've posted but this is still rattling around in my head.

My first plans were right out, but I'm working on some new ideas.

I'm still looking forward to see your plans.

This week has been extra busy with 4th of july party's and what not, hoping to get back to it next week. Redesigning my DDAV and changing the designs of the other ships I already have done, trying to find a happy medium of weight/extra supplies/extra dv.

I'm still working, but haven't been able to spend more than a couple hours a week on this, the garden is too busy in the summer. I won't be using the greenhouse, it's too heavy. Actually, having greenhouses or kethane drills on Duna isn't worth it since Ioncross doesn't include food or water. redesign in progress.

This is a great challenge, it's all I've done in KSP for a month and I have no regrets. ;)

Glad you liked it! Have you completed the design of the rest of your modules / payloads? If you have you can it post it now so I can actually put your entry on the leaderboard

Oh whoops, I was trying to keep my post from being picture heavy and I must have forgotten to add them.

Also on a side note I was forced to add a few SBR's to the lifter because I did my maths wrong for the lifting capacity. Fortunately it made little difference to the overall weight recovered, so I'm okay.

Here are links to my base parts:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158017360

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158017306

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158017243

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158017182

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158017115

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158017031

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158016873

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158016944

Oh whoops, I was trying to keep my post from being picture heavy and I must have forgotten to add them.

Also on a side note I was forced to add a few SBR's to the lifter because I did my maths wrong for the lifting capacity. Fortunately it made little difference to the overall weight recovered, so I'm okay.

Here are links to my base parts:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158017360

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158017306

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158017243

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158017182

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158017115

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158017031

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158016873

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158016944

Awesome. Now I can finally update the leader board! If I understood your plan correctly, your Hinnus 1 is going to be very long, with one engine section, two fuel sections, a core and 6(!) Duna base payloads serially connected, almost like a train. I'm really looking forward to see pictures of the space train.

Also please provide the following information when you got the time:

1. Achievement scores.

2. Mods used (currently I just listed Kethane mod for you).

3. Plan regarding the replacement of Crew 2. Your current plan does not include any launches from Kerbin from day 500 to day 1000, so when do you plan to launch Crew 3 that arrives before Crew 2 departs, to keep the Duna continuously occupied (as required by the challenge)?

I plan to send crew 3 once the Hinnus 1 returns to Kerbin. As it was, I could have built a Hinnus 3, but I'd run out of ideas for base parts by this point. I used Kethane, Engineer Redux and Crew manifest.

I tell myself I am holding out for (and looking forward too) 0.21 dropping, as it is likely to be save devouring.

The truth is I have spent very little time building hardware and playing kSP. The last month I have spent most of my gaming time learning astrodynamics instead of gaming. My understanding of transfer orbits has greatly improved. In my mission plan I am going to be using type I hohmann transfers and type II Bi-elliptic transfers. I am also hoping to include a few bizarre transfers in my mission plan. I am giving serious consideration to opening by sending my day 10 rocket on a Type I express transfer that would feature a a NERVA ejector rocket, staging long burn Ion drive, Eve gravity assist and Duna aerocapture to land my first Kerbals on day 53.

I have also been reading some really esoteric stuff too, like something called an Aero Gravity Assist (Basically you make your spacecraft capable of hypersonic flight and fly it upside-down through an atmosphere at solar orbit velocities to use the lifting forces to hug the planets atmosphere so the craft can change direction using the atmosphere while maximizing a gravity assist. I really hope they test some of these with a Venus-Earth-Saturn? mission, mostly because I would really like to see that!) Only way I think that could be topped would be by doing a Powered Aero Gravity Assist. Flying a plasma enveloped hypersonic craft through an atmosphere can only be made more awesome by shooting even more flames out the back of it. :cool:

I also stumbled across the most ridiculously 'over powered' rocket concept I have ever heard of, A Nuclear salt-water rocket. No way that is ever going to get tested in our atmosphere.

Edited by meyst

Great to see people are still thinking about this challenge. Please keep us updated on any progress! Also, I wouldn't suggest waiting for 0.21 - things could change significantly that make comparison with 0.19/0.20 difficult. Also the career mode could supersede some of my rules, such as the cost model.

Any thoughts on launch rules for using space planes for the challenge?

Also what would the rules be on a single stage to Duna Space plane?

Assume you meant using spaceplanes as the main cargo lift vehicle: if you use them to put payloads to low Kerbin orbit, then you'll use the exact same rules as everybody else - no special bonus beyond the current reusable launch vehicle bonus. But the current rules on launch frequency and mission cost would make no sense if you use an SSTO to deliver payloads all the way to Duna, and I can't think of any logical modification that doesn't give you either unfair advantage or disadvantage over more conventional approaches. In that case, you're welcome to submit your plan and it can be eligible as a complete entry, but I won't be able to compute your mission value and efficiency score.

But the current rules on launch frequency and mission cost would make no sense if you use an SSTO to deliver payloads all the way to Duna, and I can't think of any logical modification that doesn't give you either unfair advantage or disadvantage over more conventional approaches. In that case, you're welcome to submit your plan and it can be eligible as a complete entry, but I won't be able to compute your mission value and efficiency score.

My SSTO spaceplane is capable of a one-way trip to Duna with a 40tn Payload (mods: b9 and FAR). Having given this some thought now I think the launch frequency should match up with a none reuseable lifter as the lifter unless I have return one the spaceplanes to ksc.

As for mission scoring and mission efficiency, as soon as you add kethane it becomes relatively simple to get an enduring mission efficiency of infinite. Further more if I also use extraplantery space centres, after just two launches to setup the infrastructure the rest of the launches become just personnel transportation.

Anyway I thought I'd post the plan for my conventional approach. Unfortunately all screenshots and craft files were deleted... I spent a rather large amount of time planning this:

Also thank you for coming up with this. Really gave me a purpose to ksp rather than trying to build bigger and bigger stuff.

This is such a great challenge!*

I plan on setting up. Self sufficient colony using Ioncross life support and kethane.*

Setup

Phase 1: Advanced Scout. Completely self sustaining. Map duna and Ike find sutable locations for colonies

Phase 2: Infrastucture Setup. Interplantery transfer system, Kethane and oxygen infrastucture and space station.

Phase 3: Colony Deployment as many as desired.

Advanced Scout [Promethus]

Crew: 12

Primary Mission: Scout Duna System for resources, points of interest and optimal colony locations

Sustained Mission: Ike mining base.

Sustained Mission Additional Equipment: Supply craft and Large Rover

Space Station:

Crew: 2+2

Primary Mission: Duna spaceport, everything emterimg the system passes through the space station. Oversee colony construction. Fuel and supply depot

Sustained Mission: Resupply IP transfer ships and transfer crew between Ike, Duna and Kerbin

Haven Colony:

Crew: 18-24

Vessels:*

Work rig

* * With mini rover

2 Habs

Large Rover

Crew Transfer vehicle

Primary Mission: Scientific and Geologic Analysis of Duna

Sustain Mission: Same as Primary Mission

Serenity Colony:

Crew: 18-24

Vessels:

Work rig

* * With mini rover

3 Habs

Large Rover

Crew Transfer vehicle

Supply Craft

Primary Mission: Supply Space Station and Ike Mining facility with oxygen. Secondary mining facility

Sustained Mission: Industrial hub*

Crew Rotations

Total sustained manning levels: 64

High manning (100%): 148 days

Low manning period (66%): 80 days (42)

Standard stay: 604 days

Each transfer window there is a turnover 22*

Vessels:

1x Advanced Scout:*Exodus class 94tn

1x Fuel Depot:

2x IP - IP transfer vehicle

3x IPH - IP-habitation module/space station core 22tn

2x Work Rig: Ex - Multi-purpose exploration lander habit and rig. 33tn

3x CT- Crew transfer vehicle / sky crane 27tn

1x Sc- Supply craft

4x B - Static Base Hab 15tn

TBD 3x Rv - Large Rover x 3 25tn

Launch and Transfer Schedule*

Phase 1 Launches

L1 - Day 10 Advanced Scout and Fuel Depot (Oversized load)

Kerbin-Duna Transfer Day 55

Arrival Day 109

Departure day 55 direct to duna. Rocket powered capture at duna- no aerobraking.

Landed at a equatorial kethane deposit on Duna refilled oxygen supply for co2 in atmosphere. Returned to fuel depot most of the fuel was spent achieving orbit. Kethane mining on duna with the Endevore was not a success.

Transferred to Ike and landed at equatorial kethane deposit. Return transfer back to duna for raundevous with fuel depot.

Phase 2 Launches

L2 - Day 166 IP+IPH (Oversized Load)

L3 - Day 280 SC (Oversized Load)

DKT1 - 267

KDT1 - 283*

L4 - 394 IP + IPH (Oversized Load)

L5 - 508 IPH+CT

DKT2 - 495

KDT2 - *511 Transfer of relief crew - 14 Kerbals

Phase 3 Launches Colony One

L6 - 622 (Ex+Ct)

L7 - 736 (Bx3)

DKT3 - 723*

KDT3 - 739 *Transfer of Colony One crew (22 Kerbals)

Phase 3 Launches Colony One

L8 - 850 (Ex+Ct)

L9 - 964 ( B+Rvx3)

DKT4 - 951*

KDT4 - 967 Transfer of Colony One crew (22 Kerbals)

Subsequent transfer windows options:

A) Plus one colony supporting 24 kernels

B) 114tn of infrastructure*

Scoring:

Early bird:

My SSTO spaceplane is capable of a one-way trip to Duna with a 40tn Payload (mods: b9 and FAR). Having given this some thought now I think the launch frequency should match up with a none reuseable lifter as the lifter unless I have return one the spaceplanes to ksc.

As for mission scoring and mission efficiency, as soon as you add kethane it becomes relatively simple to get an enduring mission efficiency of infinite. Further more if I also use extraplantery space centres, after just two launches to setup the infrastructure the rest of the launches become just personnel transportation.

Anyway I thought I'd post the plan for my conventional approach. Unfortunately all screenshots and craft files were deleted... I spent a rather large amount of time planning this:

Also thank you for coming up with this. Really gave me a purpose to ksp rather than trying to build bigger and bigger stuff.

Indeed with ISRU and extraplanetary launch pad sustained missions becomes extremely cheap just like in (future) real world. Extraplanetary launch pad mod was yet to be released when I started the challenge, so I did not account for its affect on mission designs.

Glad you liked the challenge! Your plan looks very ambitious compared to the other proposal so far. Your "advanced scout" phase is already sending more Kerbals than many proposal's sustained phase, and by your Phase 3 it is starting to look more like full-fledged colony than a scientific outpost. Your mission value scores will likely be an order of magnitude higher than most existing proposals if you can pull it off. So I'm looking forward to see it!

Unfortunately I did pull it off a month or 2 ago didnt get round to posting it and now I can't find the screenshots or craft files. :-( I think there on my old machine so need to boot that up, I really hope I can find them. My advanced scout ship looked awesome!

I made fair amount of progress, then updated to the latest version on a clean install. I found it was easier to pick the mods I required from scratch specifically for this challenge rather than rewire the old version to suit my needs.

I've really bought into this challenge as it's given me the focus the game deserves. I've enjoyed slamming city size rockets into the influence of other celestial bodies with total disregard for any sort of realism, but it was losing it's lustre a little.

Progress overall since I threw my hat into the ring for this challenge has been vast. I now have an outpost and mission concept in place. I have a Launch Schedule developed for the first 700 odd days, and a common launch vehicle. The SSTO is still giving me grief, as is the name of my grand plan, but I will get there.

Testing has been extensive with each payload going through a number of design iterations to get it just right in terms of launch performance, reliability, redundancy etc. All I have to do now really is begin to execute the actual mission, and trust myself that as the concept develops so do my Hohmann transfer skills.

Without further ado, and for your viewing pleasure; a little bit in the way of Outpost and Mission concepts:

Outpost & Mission Concepts:

My common rocket is a 3 stage, 26 ton to 75km LKO. My launch profile starts off very similar to you sturmstiger in that I will be flicking over to Duna an initial supply dump and DAV in one package. I will also be making extensive use of IPT's throughout the mission plan. I am obligated by the DAKSCMDOCBSD to use hideously long acronyms for everything which I will get to later – it's actually caused some administrative problems in that no one is actually sure any more what stands for what, and when it should be launched.

After the initial DAV+IPT, each 26T lift is made up of two modules joined together ready for transport by an IPT. The mission will develop across two fronts: Duna surface, and Duna orbit. The idea is to simultaneously build up a large mobile surface base and a functional space port in operation around the planet. This plan should realise efficiencies in the long term in terms of crew mass transits, forward operating missions from Duna etc. as well as provide added redundancy and safety in general.

With that in mind each space station segment will either contain emergency 65 day supplies for the maximum occupancy, or a large supply tank with long term habitation in mind. Each ground based module is independently fully mobile with 4 wheel steering and massive articulation for rough ground. Each ground module also has individual levelling systems which can be used to make sure the Kermans enjoy a safe, stable place to live instead of walking around everywhere on a slant.

I will also be making use of spare launch slots for 'hole shot missions' (HSM). These use the superior lifting capability of the main launch vehicle to boost small packages straight to Duna without the need for an IPT. They can also be used to send supplies in a high energy off window mission in emergency.

As the resource shift grows within Duna's sphere of influence, the idea is to extend the mission plan long term, moving from infrastructure boosts, through population and supply and into ease of access for any Kerman to have a go. If the plan is successful then mirror missions to other bodies could be a consideration.

I have a way to go yet, but in terms of equipment this is what I am working with thanks to an outrageous budget compared to GKP (Gross Kerbin Product):

The Lifter: 26 ton to 75km LKO. Fully reusable apart from the small upper stage. The small upper stage can also be used for hole shot missions one way to Duna.

screenshot241_zps6bd9d9df.png

IPTSP: Interplanetary Tug and Science Package:

Each fully reusable IPTSP contains enough delta v for the round trip plus off window redundancy. Each tug also delivers a small ion powered science package, or satellite, or wifi or whatever the Kermans demand.

screenshot156_zps40c7a33f.png

screenshot94_zps56fb4d1a.png

DAVSP: Duna Ascent and Supply Package:

A bog standard Duna Ascent Vehicle with initial supply package. A shameless rip off of sturmstiger.

screenshot153_zps63b6a7d8.png

HSM: Hole Shot Mission(s):

An example HSM below, but basically small individual packages sent direct to Duna without the need of an IPTSP, making use of those odd launch windows for a one way supply trip.

screenshot233_zps763eb83a.png

KDSSDEV: Kerbin Departure Space Station Descent Exploration Vehicle:

This provides the first module of both the ground and orbital bases. The space station provides emergency support should something go wrong with minimal infrastructure on the ground. The idea is that the initial 4 kermans can ride the DAV to dock with the space station and await the next IPT without long term mission rules being broken.

The ground based part of the mission supplies living room for 4 Kermans in a fully mobile four wheel base.

screenshot140_zpse68380b0.png

KDCMSSDEV: Kerbin Departure Cupola Module Science/Storage Descent Exploration Vehicle:

A Cupola module for the space station, because fights keep breaking out over the small portholes. For the ground based vehicle, a little storage, as well as a science bay and living bay for 2 further Kermans.

screenshot237_zps70f19491.png

KDCHLRDEV: Kerbin Departure Connection Hub Living Room Descent Exploration Vehicle:

A connectivity hub for future expansion of the space station (not pictured). For the ground a pointless living room with big shiny windows, and space for 4 more Kermans

screenshot238_zps459787e3.png

KDSSSMSDEV: Kerbin Departure Space Station Science Module Storage Descent Exploration Vehicle:

A science module and massive extension for the space station. For the ground room for a few more in the form of kitchen and living quarters with a bit of storage

(No Picture)

The four connected DEV modules providing a stable platform and plenty of room for Kermans to ignore each other in. Can effectively connect in any sequence as desired, and act as a Duna train. May make up the heart of base 2.0 when it is built in the years to come as part of the expansion program, or simply continue use as completely sealed (hopefully) exploration and habitation vehicle in complement to a stationary ground base:

screenshot230_zpse9059475.png

The four connected Space Station Modules providing emergency off planet redundancy, microgravity science platforms, and arrival and departure nodes. As this grows it will become a real staging post for traffic in and out of the system. Like the ground module it may be used as the heart of future construction for a larger platform, or more likely be de-orbited in favour of a larger more modern facility to cope with the burgeoning volume of traffic:

screenshot253_zps49442695.png

Well that's the update so far. I'm about ready after some final refinements before moving the crafts to a fresh save to begin from day one. I will probably go straight from here to creating a challenge report but I will be sure to post the link in this thread, and will continue to check in and update, and tell you just how badly I crash into the surface of Duna.

Cheers all!

The engineers at Death Engineering have been working round the clock (between annoyances like work and sleep) to lay the groundwork for the Duna Outpost Mission. A single main rocket design has been prototyped, tested and blown up.. all the necessary steps! Using the "Pretty Sure We Can Send You Supplies Later" (PSWCSYSL) philosophy with a nod to the "Someone Downstairs Had a Good Idea For a Return Vehicle" (SDHAGIFARV) design principles, the first 10 launches have been planned with the first three being completed by day 12.

Duna Outpost Mission Log 1 "Thinking about it is half the battle. Now please make me some coffee."

Hardware:

Antares Class Duna Lifter. Available in three configurations:

1. Alpha 1 - Single stage lifter for small payloads like crew vehicle launches and resupply missions to the Kerbin Orbiting Outpost. Incorporates the SASAFDS ("Share and Share Alike Fuel Distribution System") to allow the four LV-T30's and single Skipper to be fired on and off as needed during launch while ensuring that fuel for all five engines is burned evenly.
  2. Proton - Two stage lifter to carry the Kerbin Orbiting Station and other medium sized payloads into orbit using the Alpha 1 as the second stage. The Proton stage is recoverable.
  3. Neutron - Adds a lower stage to the Proton of 5 more Mainsails and 12 SRB's. All SRB's and the Neutron booster is recoverable. This is for lifting the Duna 2x2 and Duna 2x4 Duna bases into orbit before they are crewed and launch for Duna. Using the SMLIMMEW ("So Much Lag it Makes My Eyes Water") design, this is over 1000 parts on the pad!

Reusable Interplanetary Transport vessel capable of automated Duna roundtrips for all Duna supply missions:

• Duna 2x2 Base: (2) 2-kerbal base units and 150 days supply for 4 kerbals and 4 SEV (Small Excursion Vehicles)
  • Duna 4x2 Base: (2) 2-kerbal base units and 300 days supply for 4 kerbals
  • Duna Large Excursion Vehicle: (2) 4-seater Duna Excursion Vehicles for long drives

Testing the Alpha 1 SASAFDS

2kdad.gif

Duna Outpost Mission 1 - The First 11 Days

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The First 10 Launches

1. Kerbin Orbiting Station
  2. Crew Return Vehicle to KOS (unkerballed)
  3. 150 days supply for 3 kerbals to KOS
  4. Duna 2x2 Base to Kerbin orbit
  5. Duna Large Excursion Vehicle to Kerbin orbit
  6. Duna Supply Mission 1 - 200 days supply for 4 kerbals
  7. Duna Supply Mission 2 - 200 days supply for 4 kerbals
  8. Crew Transit 1 (3 kerbals to KOS)
  9. Duna Crew Return Vehicle 1 to Kerbin orbit
  10. Duna Crew Return Vehicle 2 to Kerbin orbit

Edit: After a clarification of the rules, and the release of 0.21, the mission has been rethought and is documented in full here.

Edited by Death Engineering

Hnnnng .21 could have come at a better time. I'll have to rejig my designs a little now and start over on the mission (had just finished my fist interplanetary ship :mad:)

EDIT: Scrap that all my ships are dead now because KER was killed with the update. Back to the drawing board then... I think I could look at an alternate plan anyway.

Edited by Syhrus

I'm going through the initial design phases for the Duna Challenge myself, but I'm not going to do it in 0.21. I'm going to keep a copy of 0.20.2 just for this challenge I think. Right now the engineers are going through the planning process and design stage. Plan isn't finalized but incorporates Kethane for refueling (haven't decided whether to use ioncross yet. Never tried it before), and sends a probe/kethane miner first to fuel up an outpost until the crewed launch vehicle arrives.

One detail I've considered is to wait the launch delay time for the first mission, and to wait double time between missions, and say that the construction crews have doubled their work efforts. IE launch two ships at once, but with double the wait between launches. Managing two launch windows at the same time might be rather awkward (especially arriving at Duna) but could be helpful. One alternate is to have an initial launch for scanning/mining, then after that do double launches with double waits.

The initial design phase planned for a huge launch vehicle capable of lifting about 70tons to orbit each go... the design was a success but... well... it was so laggy even with half texturing and limiting to using very few mods with models that we had to scale things back. Current plan seems to lift approximately thirty tons to orbit, but the design is still undergoing testing and finalizing and the safe value may drop. It's fully reusable at present and two stage... though that may change.

Current plans are to do with without Mechjeb, but instead use Protractor and Kerbal Engineer. Since most of what I've used Mechjeb for in the past was the info screens (Yes, and precision landing! But I do landings myself too) I think this is doable... but I have been somewhat spoiled with Mechjeb. I just want to be able to prove I can manage something like this without that crutch.

One reason I'm doing this mission is, for some reason, I haven't done much with Duna. I think when I first started playing KSP I attempting a landing there, but I can't remember. I know I've flown by it and done orbits there, but certainly haven't landed there in a long time. Odd since I've done missions to most worlds except Eeloo and Dres. I did consider using the Extraplanetary Launch Pad mod as I've used it a lot in the past, but in the end decided against it. I almost decided against kethane but it does add an initial phase of scanning and mining and limits the profile to finding an appropriate landing site with both good surface conditions and kethane present so I went with it for challenge sake... plus it mirrors the current profile of making fuel onsite that NASA is going with.

Here's hoping I get a proper mission profile set up soon if I have enough time to hand!

Edited by Patupi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.