The "Dejah Thoris"

Tokay Gris

After the tedious work of refuelling the "Colin Campbell" I thought I'd go for something different for a change.

I decided to go look for the artifacts on Mun.

But after the first luckless try with the good old "Falcon", I realized the design had serious flaws.

screenshot5.png

First off: It doesn't have any lights. It has way too little delta-V, it can be used only once, because the descent stage is dropped shortly before touchdown. And the worst part: it fell over trying to touch down in the darkness (rescue mission was successful).

So I designed the "Falcon MK II", christened the first one off the production line "Dejah Thoris" and took her for a spin.

screenshot491.png

This beauty has a large footprint, so it is not likely to tip over, it comes equipped with a rover for two and it can easily take off again, make rendevous with the accompanying "Pollux MK 2", refuel and look some other place.

screenshot493.png

Once docked to the cruiser, it can then make the journey to Mun with ease. A bit wobbly during thrust, but nothing serious. This will be corrected in the next version.

The "Dejah Thoris" proved to be quite stable on descent and due to the large footprint sits firmly on the ground.

screenshot497.png

The data from the two mapsats around Mun is rather crude, so on the first landing site near Muns south pole didn't find any artifacts, contrary to the mapsat-data.

screenshot513.png

Or I just didn't find it.

screenshot506.png

A flag was planted anyway. I decided to test the rover on a more worthwhile spot, because I was not sure it could be reattched and even if it could be reattached, if the junior docking port could keep it in place during liftoff.

screenshot510.png

Refuelling was easy after I disabled the RCS thrusters on the rover.

screenshot522.png

The second landing was paydirt. Very shortly before actual touchdown I noticed I was almost on top of the artifact.

screenshot532.png

The rover was taken for a spin, which proved to be the literal truth. The space underneath the "Dejah Thoris" is quite narrow, one wheel got stuck on the nuclear engine and the rover lay flat on its back. A good thing it is pretty light and has RCS-thrusters, so I was able to turn it around again. It dawned on me at that time that the ASAS module was totally useless. There is nothing on the rover to give it any torque. This also will be corrected in the next version and the ASAS module replaced with an SAS module witch should be more use anyway.

screenshot534.png

Getting the rover underneath the "Dejah Thoris" again proved to be rather tricky. But I managed to do it in the end. One short burst of the RCS-thrusters and it was again firmly attached again.

screenshot538.png

Luckily the junior docking port that holds the rover in place was strong enough to hold it in place during takeoff.

Another orbital docking, this time to the still in orbit "Castor" support vessel.

screenshot545.png

Filled up again and ready for the next artifact!

After the experience on Mun, I am currently putting together a major operation together to go to Minimus.

Complete with two satelites, an orbiting research station, two orbital tugs, a reusable lander (a revised Falcon MK II, the "Zeb Carter") and a revised 2-kerbal-rover.

Pics on monday....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.