Uranus - Heavy Duty Lift Launch Vehicle [Image Heavy]

After days of fine tuning and roasting my PC, I present you the Uranus Heavy Duty Lift Launch Vehicle.

It is capable of Lifting a 400 ton payload into LKO, without using any of the Payloads Fuel.

Before I show all the pictures of Uranus I will quickly provide a table with all the data you need to know:

[table=width: 500, class: grid, align: center]

[tr]

[td]Total Weight[/td]

[td]2580.26 Tons[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Max Payload[/td]

[td]400 Tons[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Payload fraction[/td]

[td]15.50%[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Part Count[/td]

[td]1,103[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Thrust at lift off[/td]

[td]45,555 kN[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]LF/O[/td]

[td]187,380/229,020[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Monopropelant[/td]

[td]400[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

It also features an integrated Probe Body, Nuclear powered electric generation, as well as an fully Integrated RCS System to help maneuver in vacuum and to help deorbit Uranus after the Payload has been delivered.

Download:

Uranus

Uranus v2 features stronger links, as a tradeoff it has more parts:

Uranus V2

I really wanted to keep the Part Count as low as possible, but it kept falling apart, so I had to add more Struts. I estimate the Struts to be around 50% to 60% of the total Part Count.

But enough of me writing stuff, How about some Images:

Uranus standing on the launchpad. It would never work like this, since the high weight would crush the engines.

Tl3CMV7.jpg

View from the top. The Nose Cones are strutted heavily, so you are able to strut your Payload onto them.

kqcWW9u.jpg

Here is Uranus with the heaviest payload attached, that I was able to get into LKO. Or rather tested to get into LKO. Probably Uranus can get even more into Orbit.

LkxeVvj.jpg

This is the central Core of Uranus. A lot of struts, but I tried to hide them as best as I could. It also features a Probe Body and RCS to deorbit itself after delivering the Payload. The RCS is also very useful for maneuvering the Core Stage while the engines are inactive.

1vcayNw.jpg

And here a view at the clustered engines.

usTfYRz.jpg

The rest of the Images are smaller and show the different stages.

Stage one and two are separated without the use of Sepratrons, since you will drop then at around 2 km and 5 km height*. They will just drop straight down.

6YgspXll.jpgH8QGoZ7l.jpg

Stage three is not integrated in the Asparagus System and is used to boost the TWR while in lower atmosphere. It will be dropped at around 8 km height*.

uNr7Na8l.jpg

Stage four and five are attached to the outer Tanks of the Core and will be dropped at around 10 km and 15 km height*.

H4nvSxxl.jpgTIUhPEJl.jpg

Stage 6 is attached to the central Tank of the Core Stage and will be dropped at around 24 km height*. Then the Core Stage will do the rest of the work.

hRADLfAl.jpg

*The currently displayed heights are not correct, since Uranus has no Payload attached. The estimated heights may vary up to 10km.

Edited by Klajan
Craft improvments

Holy... !!!!!!!!! 1000+ Parts!!! For a launch stage? I suppose, however that would be excellent for lifting massive things into orbit, excellent work! :D

As for the Parts, yes it has over 1000 Parts, but I could not get it to work with less struts :(

I only added up to 3 struts after each failed launch, so I would keep the Part Count as low as as possible. Also it takes less time doing a 30 min launch (It takes this long for me) as it would take to dock two 200 ton vessels together in Orbit. At least for me :)

First Test Launch by Windchild:

7: Orange Fuel Tanks, Large RCS Tanks

6: Z-400 Batteries, Docking Ports, Jr. Docking Ports, Gigantor XL Solar Panels

2: Hitchhiker Storage Containers, Sr. Docking Ports

Crash

Why does it want to turn towards 50 degrees?

-snip-

I have no idea why it would turn that way, other than Parts falling apart. in the around 30 hours of test launches, that I have done with different payloads, it never turned to one direction, it either worked fine and had not enough DV or it failed horribly.

I've done some more strutting to see if it works for me, but it brings the part count of the total rocket to 1250...

Takes a little while to load (and I turned down how often physics is calculated to the minimum...

I've done 750 part launches on the maximum :)

Funny, at least for you the Uploaded version works...If i try to launch it my KSP crashes every time

Mhm, can you identify in which Stage this is happening and where the phantom struts are? I'll try to see if there could be struts missing.

I'm running this on an Alienware customized so it can handle HD Video...

And it takes around 15 seconds to load the VAB and 45 seconds to a minute to load physics.

The phantom struts are on most of the tanks, with a large number near the nose cone.

The breaking is in the row of tanks around the core stage, at the bottom.

It could be due to the decoupler placing...

They are in spots where it takes more force than it would take if they were higher.

Edit: another test shows that I fixed the first problem.... now to the decouplers :D

I did not know that, but in the first launches I had the decouplers placed higher and it was less stable.

I have lower load times for physics, but in the VAB it takes some time to load up.

Currently running on a custom build PC with a AMD quad core Overclocked to 4,3 GHz.

Ok, Did some test launches with insanely heavy payloads (like 600 tons) and the version with Improved StrutsTM did not have a single structural failure (just ran out of fuel) But it now has a higher Part Count.

Added this Version to the download, since it has a higher Part Count.

Yea, You will get problems if this craft is clipped into the ground. It is simply too heavy to be hold in place by the launch clamps and will then proceed to crash into the ground, when it starts to bounce. Maybe one could add some kind of separator to the bottom that is decoupled after the launch to prevent this issue

Ok, no more failed launches if the Craft is clipped into the VAB ground.*

Works only to 99%, misuse of our product will void warranty.

Edited by Klajan