What is this?

It's on the soyuz spacecraft. I don't know what purpose it serves, and I feel like I really need to, so i can accuratley draw it without having to perfect the proportions. Knowing what an object is helps me to figure out what it should be, and how to shade it in different scenarios, etc.

It's outlined in red.

mMNJZEP.jpg

Original

Soyuz_TMA.jpg

Well I'm sure BobCat could tell us, but I believe it is an umbilical package for carrying power from the service module to the orbital capsule.

Beat me to it. Yep, it's the Soyuz equivalent of that "bulge" by the side/aft of the Apollo Command Module, right next to the heat shield, which connects the CM to the service module (because you can't have the umbilicals passing THROUGH the CM's heat shield, of course).

It's an umbilical that carries power, data, and consumables between the orbital module and the service module. It's designed like this so that there are no hatches in the descent module heatshield or on the side.

And BTW, I think the little green thingy is a periscope. Right?

It's part of the Kurs automated docking system. Basically it point itself at a small cross near the docking hatch, and the craft adjusts itself so the cross stays on-centre.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.