Solar System Ideas MEGATHREAD!

ShachonianX

Title says all. This is a megathread for people to post their own solar system/s. So, yeah. Here's one of mine.

mlf.png

This is the Issac solar system. These are the planets:

Issac 1: Closest planet to the sun.

Issac 2: Earth-sized planet with a ring of debris from a large impact.

Issac 3: Gas giant in the Goldilocks Zone, has an Earth-sized moon (Issac 3-A) with life on it.

So, what are your solar systems?

Here's a system I made in Universe Sandbox:

-The Garen System-

The Garen System is a small habitable system located in the Perseus Arm approximately 3200 parsecs from Terra.

SYSTEM STATS:

Stars: 1, Garen, K class

Planets: 3*

*Solid: 2, Tharei & Derod

*Gas: 1, Muan

Habitable: Yes

Life: Yes

Occupied by Intelligence: Yes

PLANETS:

Tharei

Universe%20Sandbox%20-%2020130623-124142%20-%2013973.png

Tharei is the closest planet to Garen and is 4880km in diameter. It orbits at 2.6 Million km

MN-6.jpg

Cernek & Pheren

Universe%20Sandbox%20-%2020130623-124307%20-%2016453.png

Two large asteroids that border Asteroid Belt A in the Garen system.

Derod

Universe%20Sandbox%20-%2020130623-124358%20-%2018664.png

Universe%20Sandbox%20-%2020130623-124407%20-%2019138.png

tideplanet.png

The jewel of the system, Derod is a tidally locked habitable planet. It is 13,703 km in diameter and is the home system to the Derodrians, a Type II civilization on the Kardashev scale. It orbits at 8.5 million km.

Muan

Universe%20Sandbox%20-%2020130623-124620%20-%2024675.png

Universe%20Sandbox%20-%2020130623-124556%20-%2023877.png

PT-GasBL1.jpg

Most of the Garen system past Derod is a wasteland of asteroids. The exception to that is Muan, the Garen system's only gas planet. It is 49248 km in diameter and orbits at 3.4 AU.

Notable Objects:

Garen-Fardrum Stargate:

Universe%20Sandbox%20-%2020130623-124719%20-%2026874.png

A 17km long wormhole generator, called a "Stargate" by many in the galaxy. This stargate bridges the 6 light-year distance between the Garen system and the Derodrian trade system of Fardrum.

I like it, but if it's a Type II would there be at least some planet scale megastructures? After all, to reach type II you need the equivalent of a dyson sphere.

I like it, but if it's a Type II would there be at least some planet scale megastructures? After all, to reach type II you need the equivalent of a dyson sphere.

Good point. Dyson spheres are kind of impractical so I'll go with a Dyson swarm instead. Sadly the system already lags enough as is so I don't think I'll be able to add one in Universe Sandbox. So just pretend there's one but the glare of the sun blocks it out.

I've been giving the idea a bit of thought.... this is probably mostly scientific nonsense, but here goes...

In the year 2456, humanity has come to inhabit this system, which has a Star a little more massive and brighter than our sun, but mostly similar, at the centre. I haven't thought of names for the planets so I will call them P[Number in order of distance from sun], moons will have M as a prefix.

P1 is a hot, volcanic planet with temperatures reaching about 400C. It is 6,000km across with a gravity level of 0.4G. It has a thickish atmosphere. Much of it's surface is seas of lava.

P2 is on the hot edge of the habitable zone. It is 15,000km in diameter and has a surface gravity of 1.1G. It has an atmosphere about 60% that of Earth and a somewhat weaker magnetic field. It has a rotation period of about 3 Earth days. It has a largeish ocean at the South pole, formed from a massive meteorite impact that is on average about 30-45 degrees celsius. There are some other smaller oceans near the North pole. The planet has only a minute axial tilt, so there are no seasons based on that, but the planet is in a slightly eccentric orbit which gives global seasons. Beyond the poles, the planet is scorching desert, much of the sand crystalised around the equator. There are not many dramatic surface features as the core is mostly solid and tectonics are minor. There are a few human colonies around the South pole. Atmosphere is breathable, though thin. There is also native DNA based life on P2, including many types of aquatic animals and some that live in the sand dunes, plus sparse, large autotrophs resembling Dragons blood trees with extensive root systems. P2 has 2 moons, one smaller and rich in minerals, about 600km in diameter with 0.06G gravity that circles rapidly only about 2,500km from the planet, and the other, a large, more distant, geologically active moon, 3,000km in diameter with a thin, partially acidic atmosphere and a surface gravity of 0.14G.

P3 is a Gas giant 120,000km in diamter with a surface gravity of 1.8G. It lies a little beyond the edge of what would be the habitable zone for an Earth like planet. It has thick rings around it's centre and it bright blue and purple in colour, witha bit of red (why? I don't know). It has many small moons, but above 1,000km, it has 5.

P3M1, closest to the planet, is tidally locked, about 2,300km across and with 0.11G gravity. A rocky moon, it is a tidally locked, strongly volcanic moon on one side. This side has canyons and cracks and jutting mountains due to the plate tectonics and the pull of the planet P3, and is unusually. The dark side is mostly flat. and a dark grey with splashes of colour from the smaller number of volcanoes there. It has a weak atmosphere.

P3M2 is an almost entirely icy moon, 1,300km across with 0.5G gravity. It is cracked and cratered and has layers of liquid water beneath the surface.

P3M3 is a mostly rocky moon about 3,300km in diamter with a surface gravity of 0.15G. A massive impact in the past has left a massive crater on side of the moonalmost 1,200km across, giving it an axial tilt of 36 degrees and rotation speed of about 58 hours per rotation. The remnants of this impact have become nearby minor moons.

P3M4 is another rocky moon 3,800km in diameter with 0.22G gravity.

P3M5, the most distant of the major moons, is an unusual moon, as it started out as a planet on the edge of the habitable zone until it eventually became a moon of the P3 system. It is 8,200km in diameter and has a gravitational force of 0.64G. It also has large oceans on it's surface, deep and vast, and a thick atmosphere, 1.5 times that of Earth. It also rotates at about once every 26 hours (Was considerably faster before capture). It has an axial tilt of 12 degrees. Aided by surrounding moons, it's rotation speed and a molten core, P3M5 is very geologically active, with many thermal vents at the bottom of the oceans and island volcanoes scattered across the globe. There is one large continent just North of the equator (about 1,600km across and 700km high) and the rest of the planet is island scattered ocean. There are large ice caps at the poles, and equatorial temperature averages at a rather pleasant 12-20 Celsius on land. Because of it's thick atmosphere and complex tidal system, weather is very wild. Strong winds and storms are common. Tides rise and fall at unusual times, and quite strongly. Even the daily tides are rather intense because of P3. There are many human cities on the planet, and due to the tides, they live mostly on higher ground, usually near thermal springs where it is hottest. The atmosphere is not very toxic to humans, though there are high levels of some chemicals such as sulphur, and has been found to give many people illness, though there are simple ways to treat it. Oxygen is plentiful. It isn't just humans living on P3M5, though. It is supposed that the life on the moon originated from P2 and was perhaps brought over in the debris from the impact that made P2's Southern ocean. In addition to gelatinous invertebrates, vertebrate hexapods have appeared and become the most common form of life on the moon. Most of the life is aquatic, including massive 600m long monsters that lurk in the deeper oceans. There are some land dwelling hexapods as well, including, unbeknownst to humans at this time, amphibious creatures with 4 legs and 2 arms that are intelligent and have developed primitive tools and a religion based on the moons, sun and planet P3. Autotrophic life also exists, though much of the surface is too consistently erupting for thick vegetation. There are thick jungles on the big continent though. A unique feature, the moon has it's own submoon, which it retained from when it was a planet, although it is in a very irregular orbit and is being gradually lost to GE. It is a rocky, browny-red submoon about 150km across At it's closest approach, it is about 3,000km from the moon.

To be continued when I'm less tired of writing.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.