Getting interested in mods.

WhiteWeasel

I might do some mods now, but any really good ones? I no interest in mods for aircraft, so no B9, or changes the physics like deadly reentry. I kinda want mods that help with in-game things like mechjeb ir kerbal alarm clock. As well a few that add non OP parts. At the most I only want 4 or 5 mods in total. And I already copied my save and put it in a different folder just in case.

Mods I'm eying:

-Mechjeb

-Kethane

-KSPX

Edited by WhiteWeasel

Bac9's B9 Aerospace parts mod

Kerbal Attachment System

Crew manifest

Ioncross lifesupport

They are my core mods (along with engineer redux, kethane and kspx but you don't really need engineer if you use mechjeb)

Crew manifest is a must have. ISA mapping satellite is also great to have alongside MechJeb.

I also advise http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/docking-strut/ Docking struts. Allows you to connect strut nodes in flight, which is like what quantum struts do, but no absurd silly unrealistic glowy blue neon energy fields from Star Wars pod racers.

If you decide you want to range into gameplay content, try taking a look at Kethane and Extraplanetary Launch Centers as a pair. Also Kerbal Attachment System (KAS). Those are going to start getting away from what it sounds like you are looking for, but I think you will find them quite remarkable.

Subassembly is the only one I'm currently using; it does save a lot of headaches when it comes to putting the same booster on a bunch of different payloads (like what NASA has planned with the Space Launch System). A lot of folks like Mechjeb (though there are just as many that don't); haven't used that one myself so I probably shouldn't recommend it. Couldn't say much about the other mods.

I find that mods come in four major categories:

1) Part packs: KSPX, KW Rocketry, b9, H.O.M.E., etc

2) Assistants: Kerbal Alarm Clock, MechJeb, Engineer Redux, <ahem> Simple Part Organizer, RCS Build Aid, Crew Manifest, Subassembly Loader, Improved Maneuvering Nodes, etc

3) Mods that add realism: FAR, RemoteTech, Deadly Re-entry, Ioncross Life Support, etc

4) Mods that add capabilities: Kethane, KAS, ISA Mapsat, EVA Parachutes, Quantum Struts, Hooligan Airships, Extraplanetary Launchpads, Lazors, etc

- I'd recommend adding as many of category 2 as you can. These usually don't add parts or complexity; they just sort of fill in the gaps in the UI.

- For category 1, KSPX is considered by many to be essential. KW Rocketry is great for fairings and 3.75m parts. Lots of people like HOME for bases. The great thing about these mods is that you can just delete the folders for parts you don't want; so you can pick and choose.

- I'd recommend looking into category 3 when you're comfortable with the game and looking for something to do. I really like RemoteTech.

- Category 4 just unlocks your creativity: Kethane and ISA Mapsat are essentials for me, and while I don't use most of the Lazors mod, its docking cameras are, I think, a must have.

Kerbal attachment system or KAS for short is a great mod. For one it allows you to connect fuel lines between vessels which makes land-based refueling far less frustrating (land docking is very annoying to do), pretty useful if you're already using kethane. The crane parts are great as well, I built a rover crane which I used to assemble my Munbase out of separately launched modules.

Kethane is a pretty obvious recommendation. While scanning for kethane is a bit dull and slow kethane opens up new possibilities for missions. Want to simulate sample return automated (or not) mission? Add a drill and kethane tank and mine it full then return it to kerbin. In addition you can do in-situ fuel production for return missions like Mars Direct wanted. Also designing mining and refining rigs can be a bit of a challenge due to the power requirements, unless you're content with just using the kethane-powered electric generator (but even then you need more drills to fuel the converters and the generator).

Firespitter is a nice mod I recommend if you ever want to fly planes on oxygen-less atmospheric worlds as it adds electric propellers (in addition to helicopter rotors, VTOL propellers and other fun aircraft parts). Just remember, VTOL regardless if it's a helicopter or other VTOL aircraft, is hard.

Mods (plugins to be more specific) I use:

- MechJeb

- Kerbal Alarm Clock: set alarm for maneuver nodes, interplanetary windows, custom time etc.

- EditorTools: more options for symmetry and angle snap, vertical snap, changing symmetry mode (mirror/normal).

- Haystack: bit like tracking but it works in flight and allows player to set a target.

- Lazor Docking Cam: great for docking, especially if using inline docking port.

- RCSBuildAid: balancing RCS for docking.

So far I got mechjeb.

I seen KSPX and it's pretty cool.

Kethane is undecided

Two questions:

Any mods that add science and utility parts, since I like detailed rovers, landers, and satellites.

How much should I worry about these mods getting outdated when a new patch comes out, or even discontinued. Because steam auto updates I may never be able to use my save file again.

Edited by WhiteWeasel

It depends on whether you're going to want to expand the number of parts you have or the content of the game. "4 or 5" mods is really not a lot to work with, as most mods, especially content/functionality mods, are small little .dll files that take up nearly no space.

Butttttt... If you're out looking, here's my list of absolutely essential mods that I will ALWAYS try to have in my game, unless I want to play 100% stock...

-KW Rocketry

-KSPX

-Mechanical Jeb

-Kerbal Crew Manifest

-Procedural Wings

There's a good amount of other ones I use, but those are the absolute essentials. KW is an excellent choice for expanding your parts list. It's complete, it's well modeled, and the parts are balanced with the stock game. KSPX is also a good content mod, as the parts fit with the stock look. MechJeb REALLY helps with some more advanced things in-game and, in my opinion should be integral to the game, as the amount of stuff it can do for you is amazing. Crew Manifest is another one that is important to me, it lets you play with Kerbals in crew modules more easily, without needing EVA. Procedural wings is just a plugin that lets you make wings of any size or shape you need, as you need them. There are two models, one that fits with the stock style of wings, and one that fits better with B9 Aerospace parts. I know you don't want to look at B9 Aerospace, but I'd highly advise you to reconsider, as they're very high-quality parts.

Also, if you're looking for science/utility parts, the AIES Parts Pack may be for you. It features realistic-looking probe bodies, science instruments, and a wealth of dishes and antennas, as well as solar panels and some other really cool stuff. It has a few rockets and fuel tanks, but they're not quite as well made as some of KW Rocketry's stuff. I see this mod as the "Science and Probes" supplement to KW Rocketry, just like B9 is the Aerospace supplement in my eyes. Anyhow, it's still under heavy development and the descriptions are currently, to my knowledge, in need of some heavy English re-works, but my point stands, it's a GREAT mod if you're looking for more variety when building probes and stuff.

Edited by M5000

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.