[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

partModule rewrite is very close to release. I got maybe a day or two before I'm happy with releasing it. I might have the docking issue resolved but I will spend some time testing it.

The one thing I'd like to have is a way to center the 90 degree hinges like you can with the normal hinges. Press the circle and they go to the center (which would be the start position for the regulars) position, the arrow buttons for either side. This would keep me from having to judge the angle for things like extendable solar panel support arms by eye.

Other than that, I've got nothing in the way of ideas at the moment.

[Edit] Of course, no sooner than I say that...

A 45 degree (possibly 30 and 60 degree version too) piston that has the moving attachment node move at said angle from the root attachment. Basically these would move outward and up/down (or to the side... if you rotated them that way) instead of just outward, and still be able to easily keep a common vertical with the fore-aft axis of the craft.

Edited by VaporTrail

Create issues, feature requests etc at github: https://github.com/sirkut/InfernalRobotics/issues

Thanks, added a number of "issues" to the list :)

The one thing I'd like to have is a way to center the 90 degree hinges like you can with the normal hinges. Press the circle and they go to the center (which would be the start position for the regulars) position, the arrow buttons for either side. This would keep me from having to judge the angle for things like extendable solar panel support arms by eye.

I'd actually question this to be honest. I think it's important that the centre button always returns the parts back to their starting position, regardless of if it was off to one side. In most cases the start position will be the folded position of your craft, and if you've got a lot of joints in a group you don't want one to have differing behaviour.

A 45 degree (possibly 30 and 60 degree version too) piston that has the moving attachment node move at said angle from the root attachment. Basically these would move outward and up/down (or to the side... if you rotated them that way) instead of just outward, and still be able to easily keep a common vertical with the fore-aft axis of the craft.

I'm unsure what you would actually use such a part for in all seriousness. Maybe show a picture of a real-world contraption that employs it?

I posted a request a week or so ago, but it seems to have gotten lost. Can we get a solar sensing version of the docking washer? So it rotates itself and anything on the "active" side to face the sun?

I posted a request a week or so ago, but it seems to have gotten lost. Can we get a solar sensing version of the docking washer? So it rotates itself and anything on the "active" side to face the sun?

That seems rather specialized. I'll put it down as a request if I remember to submit it to my GitHub.

Sirkut, another thing that came to my mind:

Could it be possible to set the position of the part in the VAB/SPH?, using a tweakable maybe. This way, I could check the final position of a set of rails mounted on each other!

Sirkut, another thing that came to my mind:

Could it be possible to set the position of the part in the VAB/SPH?, using a tweakable maybe. This way, I could check the final position of a set of rails mounted on each other!

That's been suggested a few times but it's low on my list.

That's been suggested a few times but it's low on my list.

I added that as a long-term feature on Github. Given my recent experiments with TweakScale, which repositions attachment nodes etc, it's feasible to assume the same kind of technique could be applied to parts connected below a robotics joint.

I added that as a long-term feature on Github. Given my recent experiments with TweakScale, which repositions attachment nodes etc, it's feasible to assume the same kind of technique could be applied to parts connected below a robotics joint.

Sure it's feasible but you aren't the one that has to code it. :)

the washer is placed at the wrong side: it should be placed on the truck: when you turn, the truck pulls the trailer into the corner and enables the trailer to be steered into the corner aswell.

When you place the washer on the trailer, it will be pulled into the corner but it won't be steered into it.

Believe me that i know it: i'm a car mechanic.

it's true! Thansk you!

I liked the models for damned robotics more(closer to stock), and since it no longer works I hoped somebody with modding skills felt the same way.

Why would you want the old parts, when there's new parts on the horizon :wink:

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

I liked the models for damned robotics more(closer to stock), and since it no longer works I hoped somebody with modding skills felt the same way.

Have you tried the old parts with the Infernal Robotics plugin?

I made a craft using Extraplanetary Launchpads that deploys a larger pad using some hinges on an arm. I can't seem to figure out how to secure the arm/payload while we are in transit. any ideas?

I made a video so you can see what my craft looks like

I'm currently working on the new rewrite of the plugin. Things are going well but I wanted to address the concerns of the 2x symmetry issue. I did notice one user used the Industrial hinges to test and they were in fact inverted. Today I just remembered an important bit of information. The Industrial Hinge didn't have this in it's config file:

invertSymmetry = False

By default the value is true which is why it would invert the symmetry. Until I release a new set of parts add this to your Industrial Hinge and you will be set!

I added that, put it in the same location in the cfg for the industrial hinge as it was in another hinges cfg file, and KSP decided it had no parts at all, except for a small number of Hooligan Labs airship pieces - so it deleted all the asteroids due to the potatoroid part missing. If the testing save had had anything in flight, it all would have been deleted too - everything except flags.

KSP .23 or .22 did the same thing when I tried the suspensatron cfg mod on one of the rotatrons, and also when I tried installing TT Multiwheels. Get just one cfg KSP doesn't like and it nukes itself instead of simply ignoring the one file and popping up an error message. :P

I had to do a clean setup of KSP and put all the mods in from scratch to get it working again. Good thing I still haven't tried my .23 saves in .23.5 yet.

I made a craft using Extraplanetary Launchpads that deploys a larger pad using some hinges on an arm. I can't seem to figure out how to secure the arm/payload while we are in transit. any ideas?

This was raised by Scott Manley a while ago. One idea I had for this was an exploding-bolt strut. You'd place it on your craft as normal, but then be able to right click on it and break it (or via action group). Once broken it could not be reconnected, but for applications such as yours that should be fine. Unfortunately neither myself or sirkut have the time to make such a part :( Anyone else fancy having a go? :sticktongue:

This was raised by Scott Manley a while ago. One idea I had for this was an exploding-bolt strut. You'd place it on your craft as normal, but then be able to right click on it and break it (or via action group). Once broken it could not be reconnected, but for applications such as yours that should be fine. Unfortunately neither myself or sirkut have the time to make such a part :( Anyone else fancy having a go? :sticktongue:

This is rather easy to make with excising modules. In fact I made this in a few minutes and it works just like that:

PART
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = strutDecoupler
module = StrutConnector
author = HarvesteR

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = Squad/Parts/Structural/strutConnector/model
scale = 0.1
specPower = 0.1
rimFalloff = 3
alphaCutoff = 0.0
iconCenter = -4.69147, 2.64656, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = generalConstruction
entryCost = 2800
cost = 250
category = Structural
subcategory = 0
title = EAS-4 Strut Connector Decoupler
manufacturer = Kerlington Model Rockets and Paper Products Inc.
description = The Strut Connector is highly regarded by many spacecraft engineers as they help in constructing more stable spacecraft. Once both sides are connected, a structural beam is created to link both ends, allowing for sturdier (and heavier) construction.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.05
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.02
minimum_drag = 0.02
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 12
maxTemp = 3600
explosionPotential = 0
fuelCrossFeed = False

// --- Strut Connector parameters ---

linearStrength = 150
angularStrength = 150
maxLength = 10

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnchoredDecoupler
anchorName = anchor
ejectionForce = 250
explosiveNodeID = srf
}

}

I added that, put it in the same location in the cfg for the industrial hinge as it was in another hinges cfg file, and KSP decided it had no parts at all, except for a small number of Hooligan Labs airship pieces - so it deleted all the asteroids due to the potatoroid part missing. If the testing save had had anything in flight, it all would have been deleted too - everything except flags.

KSP .23 or .22 did the same thing when I tried the suspensatron cfg mod on one of the rotatrons, and also when I tried installing TT Multiwheels. Get just one cfg KSP doesn't like and it nukes itself instead of simply ignoring the one file and popping up an error message. :P

I had to do a clean setup of KSP and put all the mods in from scratch to get it working again. Good thing I still haven't tried my .23 saves in .23.5 yet.

Something goofed. I am curious what the output_log looks like for that.

- - - Updated - - -

The servo control toolbar is not showing up when I launch. Help!!!!!!

Did you install the toolbar directory that was included? Do you have an output_log file to share?

This is rather easy to make with excising modules. In fact I made this in a few minutes and it works just like that:

Wow, thank you! I wasn't expecting it to be that straight forward. Any tips on how to model one, or change the texture at least?

Oh, and I think they need to come with the disclaimer "Do Not Move Robotics Parts When Struts Are Attached", either that or reduce the strength (which I'm trying now)

_b4605bb0247245508ea34bdf6a9f601e

_7d74c7a6df7543d2bc4b7fb11514797c

_dc7a0c742de242afb872840f3f3e7088

Edit: Reducing linear and angular stength doesn't appear to do anything. May need to look into some code on the MSI side that disables motor control if a child part has a strut attached to it (either connecting to or connecting from).

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

[sNIP]

I went the MacGyver route, rather than the coding route. I use radial decouplers as connection points for multiple struts... and use staging to break the strutting when I want.

You could use KAS struts, which are removable by Kerbals on EVA. Downside is you have to get a kerbal to link it all up before you launch, because you can't link the end points in the VAB.

Or I think Quantum Struts could do it? I don't use them, though.