What do you do during long burns?

Pinduli

Go out for a smoke, make the cats chase laser pointers into walls at high speed, browse these forums or the Star Citizen forums, or watch TV. I'm on a Castle kick now, have the first 4 seasons and just started S02.

Make tea, tidy up around the office, or do research for writing projects. Otherwise I'm in imminent danger of being slept on by a cat.

actively burning? I'm at the controls.

I have the TV on... but if I'm doing a burn... I'm not clicking away or taking my eyes off the screen...

There aren't burns long enough ... that serve any real purpose... and no craft stable enough... for me to let it burn in this game.

The only thing I could imagine... would be an ion engine craft on an escape trajectory out of the system entirely where I'd just let it burn.

I don't use mechjeb. That may be the difference.

actively burning? I'm at the controls.

I have the TV on... but if I'm doing a burn... I'm not clicking away or taking my eyes off the screen...

There aren't burns long enough ... that serve any real purpose... and no craft stable enough... for me to let it burn in this game.

The only thing I could imagine... would be an ion engine craft on an escape trajectory out of the system entirely where I'd just let it burn.

I don't use mechjeb. That may be the difference.

For low-thrust engines, isn't it enough just to leave SAS on with RCS shut off to keep stability?

Even doing it manually, you can probably get away with leaving them for a while.

For low-thrust engines, isn't it enough just to leave SAS on with RCS shut off to keep stability?

Even doing it manually, you can probably get away with leaving them for a while.

Usually, such probes using low thrust engines are OK for SAS stability alone if you are able to easily reorient it using SAS control. Save your RCS fuel for other maneuvering.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.