First time seriously using Mechjeb

llamatoes

In before the storm.

Cheating in a single player game. That's pretty funny.

Winner winner chicken dinner. How many launches do I have to do by hand? If it becomes so tedious that I don't fell like playing because I have to launch something yet again for the 50th time, then what's the point?

I still dock myself, because it's still fun. I let MJ plot my planetary intercepts because the little maneuver node doofer is like hitting a fly with a sledgehammer. And I let MJ launch my rockets because I'm tired of it. And I'm certainly not going to stop because some random dude on the internet thinks I'm "cheating."

"I'm okay with this!"

MechJeb could be considered "cheating" if there were an official scoring or achievements system. Since there isn't, and this is a SANDBOX game (at present), there's no such thing as cheating. Even HyperEdit, which I would propose is about as close as one can come to the (non-existent) cheating concept, simply allows the player to skip the part they're bored or otherwise tired of, and get to the part they want to play with.

Basically my argument is that there's no such thing as cheating when a mod or feature lets the player experience the specific portions of the game that tickle their fancy at the moment without having to experience the drudgery portions every single time.

Case-in-point: I've played GTA San Andreas' story through to death, and now I have more fun just going in to cause extreme mayhem for the lulz. I don't necessarily keep my game saves between installations, so when I re-install it, I just drop in a trainer or codes to open up the whole world and basically set the game as if I'd played it through and won everything so I can go nuts with vehicles and weapons without having to play through the whole thing, dealing with timed missions, cut-scenes, the works all over again. The modifications to the game provide another aspect that allows the game to keep its place in my heart as thoroughly fun and enjoyable without lobbing in extra work to get to the part I actually enjoy now.

That's all MechJeb and HyperEdit do: they take the difficult or tedious portions of the game out of the equation for some players and let them just keep having fun with it.

Besides, mods like MechJeb can actually be teaching tools too. How many of us have actually had that proverbial light bulb go off over their head about interplanetary transfers after seeing how the automated system does it?

Too high.

VIDSNIP

That is only for Kerbal X, and anyways, its what i always do, and I was more worried about how Mechjeb was controlling the attitude of the craft in the same way as how I imagine a drunk person with the tremors would fly.

That is only for Kerbal X, and anyways, its what i always do, and I was more worried about how Mechjeb was controlling the attitude of the craft in the same way as how I imagine a drunk person with the tremors would fly.

LOL yeah it does seem a little tipsy sometimes. Sorry, it's sometimes hard to tell someones skill level from a couple forum posts.

But remember that there is a big difference between MechJeb and HyperEdit.

Because it's more "fair"? But what difference does it? There is no such thing as cheating usn't it? You just do what you want have fun and sandbox and you know. Assuming you build rocket whith enough fuel why not just place in at moho orbit. And even if not - its so tedious to sit and wait again while MJ fly to it. Not a fun. Just hyperedit it and have fun.

Edited by zzz

Because it's more "fair"? But what difference does it? But there is no such thing as cheating usn't it? You just do what you want have fun and sandbox and you know.
The difference is that Hyperedit removes the flight and the need to construct working crafts. And i'm not against using it i, just don't think it is needed.

Nasa not playing the game. It's already very simple in comparison with complexity of real spacecrafts. Simple rules, no consequences and even bricks can to orbit. But if flying is not intresing and you want to skip it then Hyperedit is much better and faster.

What you want to say to me by it?

NASA plays and uses Mechjeb.

I use Mechjeb because I can't deal with a lot of the hassle and precision sometimes. Hyperedit lets your rocket be anything, Mechjeb still needs the rocket.

The difference is that Hyperedit removes the flight and the need to construct working crafts. And i'm not against using it i, just don't think it is needed.

Sure, until you try to expand your experience with the game by introducing asteroids. At first it might be a fun challenge to try to launch those and see how far you can get with them, but what about beyond that point? What if you want to try experimenting with having your own asteroid belt to mess around in? Do you really want to be forced to launch a hundred or more asteroids out beyond Duna?

Again, HyperEdit is just another means to shortcut an aspect of the game that might be causing a dwindling interest, thereby helping to keep the game enjoyable in a player's eyes.

Do any of you understand that he might, just might, be joking?

Why would I joke about such a serious matter as how other people play a single-player game?

E: In an obvious troll thread, no less.

Sure, until you try to expand your experience with the game by introducing asteroids. At first it might be a fun challenge to try to launch those and see how far you can get with them, but what about beyond that point? What if you want to try experimenting with having your own asteroid belt to mess around in? Do you really want to be forced to launch a hundred or more asteroids out beyond Duna?

Again, HyperEdit is just another means to shortcut an aspect of the game that might be causing a dwindling interest, thereby helping to keep the game enjoyable in a player's eyes.

Sure in cases like this its different.

NASA plays and uses Mechjeb.

I use Mechjeb because I can't deal with a lot of the hassle and precision sometimes. Hyperedit lets your rocket be anything, Mechjeb still needs the rocket.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Different mods let the player shortcut different things that are otherwise tedious for a player. Shoot, even the parts packs are a similar thing, allowing the player to have these cool extra parts without having to go through all the work of learning how to develop and balance their own parts in the first place!

As an aside, I am honored to have been chosen for your sig line! :D <3

I should try to fix that. The gravity turn start is so violent it tears my rockets up, and its insistence of stopping the roll distracts it from flying straight.

I'm certainly not going to tell someone else how they should play this game, but if I got to the point where I was using MJ to do all my flying for me with ships I used Hyperedit to get to orbit, then personally I'd probably not bother to play the game.

If mechjeb tears up your rocket on gravity turn start it is your fault for telling it to do a too sudden change of direction. Try a lower start point or a steeper trajectory.

Also disable all gimbals except the one on your central engine.

Voila: launches smooth as a tasmanian baby devils butt.

Now please proceed with the " No mechjeb until marriage!!!1" Circlejerk.

So NASA, SpaceX, Copenhagen Suborbitals, RFSA, Many KSP Users, and more are cheating?

Apparently they're not really doing it right unless they're playing fast and loose with real lives as easily as we do with our Kerbals.

So NASA, SpaceX, Copenhagen Suborbitals, RFSA, Many KSP Users, and more are cheating?

It depends, when you have how over many million dollars worth of spaceship up there, you don't want to end up being crashed into the ground by a human, but I digress, I think mechjeb in game is spoiling, seeing as it removes all the piloting and fun from the game.

It depends, when you have how over many million dollars worth of spaceship up there, you don't want to end up being crashed into the ground by a human, but I digress, I think mechjeb in game is spoiling, seeing as it removes all the piloting and fun from the game.
If it takes the fun out of the game for you then do not use it :)

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Different mods let the player shortcut different things that are otherwise tedious for a player. Shoot, even the parts packs are a similar thing, allowing the player to have these cool extra parts without having to go through all the work of learning how to develop and balance their own parts in the first place!

As an aside, I am honored to have been chosen for your sig line! :D <3

Exactly. If you know you can do the maneuver it shouldn't be a big deal to have it done automatically. I love being able to leave my computer (especially during those long laggy liftoffs that I probably couldn't fly right anyways) and get a snack and come back to find my ship in orbit. I intend to enjoy the game, not fuss over tedious and repetitive actions.

Not to mention that my computer is fairly bad so Mechjeb can pilot those laggy ships to orbit, this expanding my ability to play.

Your welcome! It's out of context but I found it hilarious. Sometimes people get so serious about this game (like in this topic) and it's good to look at what we are really doing.

Edited by Xaiier

Well maybe people find the launches not fun, or they want to put a probe up in a consecutive orbit.