[Showcase] Post your "Genius" designs and actions.

I don't have pictures, but let's just say "That one time where you tried to build a shuttle and simply stuck wings on the top of a rocket instead of actually paying attention to it's integrity as a plane". Yeah, it didn't go so well.

This one's my favorite:

oDZlSJx.jpg

I was trying to make a cyclogyro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclogyro), but it ended up looking like a multiplane from 100 years ago. It can only perform hops 1 meter above the ground (needs more wings!).

I tried to make this:

720px-Cyclogyro.svg.png

But got this:

1907multiplane.jpg

Edited by Giggleplex777

I think my finest moment so far is landing a crossbow on Dres. The initial rocket came in just a little bit under 700 tons. After flying it all the way there and braking into orbit, I realized I had forgotten a decoupler between the lander and the crossbow itself.

I wan't simply going to give up though, so I had to lithobrake it off. I didn't save or record the final landing, but here is a screenshot from testing if such a thing could even work:

97VixBZ.png

The end results were pretty nice. Also my first landing on Dres.

IxU1Q1U.gif

Also I made sure to land it by the canyon.

HVPwapE.gif

mafTk9b.gif

I'm thinking about sending one to every planet, but only once .21 comes out. I'm also trying to cut down the weight, the crossbow itself is about 180 parts and 14 tons.

Edited by lucidLemon

I didn't think this spacecraft had enough delta-V to reach Jool. It didn't so I disconnected the first habitat and communications unit from the stack. The I realised that I could cheat and used infini-fuel [because damn do I not want to have to send up all those rovers again...] so I had to get the habitat and comm's back attached to the rocket. When I put it on the side dock, the centre of mass had changed too much for ASAS to hold course. So, I changed the activated NTRs from two that were opposite each other to two that were next to each other - in particular, the two that would make up for the imbalanced mass. It worked.

l8jCseN.png

I think my finest moment so far is landing a crossbow on Dres. The initial rocket came in just a little bit under 700 tons. After flying it all the way there and braking into orbit, I realized I had forgotten a decoupler between the lander and the crossbow itself.

I wan't simply going to give up though, so I had to lithobrake it off. I didn't save or record the final landing, but here is a screenshot from testing if such a thing could even work:

97VixBZ.png

The end results were pretty nice. Also my first landing on Dres.

IxU1Q1U.gif

Also I made sure to land it by the canyon.

HVPwapE.gif

mafTk9b.gif

I'm thinking about sending one to every planet, but only once .21 comes out. I'm also trying to cut down the weight, the crossbow itself is about 180 parts and 14 tons.

Cute flying Kerbal! :D

The Mosquito: (stock... Plus Mechjeb)

This ship was created using stock parts,and is the smallest thing I could build to get to the Mun and back. (you really have to watch for the first stage, to avoid burn-out)

screenshot2194.png

All Images

https://plus.google.com/photos/107877770903043236735/albums/5892770454902743601

Craft File

http://www.fragmentedpoe.com/KSP/2013/mosquito.zip

wasn`t this thread for bad designs?

Oh, my bad - thought it was for crazy ideas in general. Didn't get the sarcasm... Got it the quotes.... sorry guys

(also i can't seem to remove it, so to get back on track...)

When Struts Fail....

463638_593478934009147_224275538_o.jpg

Edited by monkeysee
Forum noob got the subject wrong... * face palm *

Tell me if this is brilliant, overkill, or otherwise just plain insane. I am about to start launching a bunch of modules up to my space docks that will assemble a big roving base+station that will go first to the Mun, then maybe minmus, then possibly Ike or another moon. Half of it is modules that land and make an on-the-ground kethane mining op and refinery, while the station houses porbes, tugs, skycranes, some refining equipment of it's own, fuel, kethane, power, crew, etc. Am I overdoing it?

P.S. I will edit this and add pics of the main fuel module (of which I may have two). To get it into orbit, I have rebuilt it with my own modded empty tanks to cut down on weight so it wasn't heavier than my standard heavy launcher. We shall see if I can get liftoff sometime tomorrow.

But, but, if it's got a booster stage it isn't single stage to orbit, tho... :confused:

Actually, since the SSTO only consists of 1 stage, it's an SSTO. It's the two-stage booster that has multiple stages, so the SSTO is still an SSTO while the booster, which has multiple stages, isn't an SSTO. Make sense now?

Not a "genius" design, but a "genius" action - I thought that my plane was flying slow and stable enough to let Jeb take a walk on it.

Turned out, not quite.

screenshot0.png

And while we're on the topic of planes and SSTOs...

screenshot91.png

Protip: the Mun has no air.

Actually, since the SSTO only consists of 1 stage, it's an SSTO. It's the two-stage booster that has multiple stages, so the SSTO is still an SSTO while the booster, which has multiple stages, isn't an SSTO. Make sense now?

If the craft needs a booster to get into orbit, no matter how many stages the booster or the craft have, then it's not an SSTO. Unless you mean a pusher stage, that is a 'booster' for orbital maneuvers or interplanetary transfer, that launches separately.

If the craft needs a booster to get into orbit, no matter how many stages the booster or the craft have, then it's not an SSTO. Unless you mean a pusher stage, that is a 'booster' for orbital maneuvers or interplanetary transfer, that launches separately.

Ooooh, oh, I see the confusion. Yeah, no, the SSTO gets into orbit all by itself by using the booster to take it into orbit, as opposed to having multiple stages itself. Hopefully that solves the confusion surrounding it.

Ooooh, oh, I see the confusion. Yeah, no, the SSTO gets into orbit all by itself by using the booster to take it into orbit, as opposed to having multiple stages itself. Hopefully that solves the confusion surrounding it.

You are an awesome troll, sir. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.