TIL Docking is 10x easier and a lot more fun in 3D

Androsynth

Hmmm good question. Maybe not unless the video is recorded in a specific format. My wife has the lg thrill, I think it's called...takes 3d pictures/video and has glasses free 3d screen. When I uploaded a video to youtube it was a different video format. Of course once the video was processed it gave different options for displaying it. Either in anaglyph, side by side (cross eye vision) and the different methods that 3dtvs offer.

I've got a 120hz monitor with the nVidia 3D built into it (came with the glasses and everything). I've tried the 3D in KSP, and I agree - it made docking MUCH cooler. The problem, however (at least with the nVidia 3D, I haven't tried anaglyph glasses), is that the game UI and star backdrop are NOT made for 3D. I don't just mean that the UI elements were at a different depth from everything else either - they were all rendered twice, making the whole experience rather dizzying. If there was better support for it, I'd be playing KSP in 3D all the time...because the actual 3D rendered objects looked AWESOME.

I've got a 120hz monitor with the nVidia 3D built into it (came with the glasses and everything). I've tried the 3D in KSP, and I agree - it made docking MUCH cooler. The problem, however (at least with the nVidia 3D, I haven't tried anaglyph glasses), is that the game UI and star backdrop are NOT made for 3D. I don't just mean that the UI elements were at a different depth from everything else either - they were all rendered twice, making the whole experience rather dizzying. If there was better support for it, I'd be playing KSP in 3D all the time...because the actual 3D rendered objects looked AWESOME.

Hopefully Squad gets this fixed upon release.

Reptile2001, I didn't have any issue with the GUI. Do you mean the in-flight GUI or the main menu?

Protip: the glasses filter out red and blue, but not green. If you want the image to have fewer artifacts, go into your monitor's RGB settings and turn Green down to 0. The way I figure, I'm already giving up color by going anaglyph, so I'd might as well do it right and go all the way. The screenshot I posted doesn't have green filtered out, only because MS Paint wouldn't let me do it.

I could possibly record a video, and I could upload it to youtube or wherever, and it would capture the 3d.. but not very well. I suspect that the compression I'd use to create a small enough file to upload would degrade the image, and Youtube et al would further compress and distort the image. Quality loss seems to really hurt the quality of the 3d, as you'll get a ton more artifacts. With green turned off, you wind up with a nearly perfect 3d image, better than some polarized glasses I've used, and FAR better than any anaglyph you've ever seen before. Ironically, KSP isn't even the best game to show this off with, because all your objects are either super close together or extremely far apart.. the depth becomes boring under those conditions. Docking is where it's at though, and it definitely has utility if you like to perform an unassisted visual dock. I'll never dock 2D again!

Edit: I just had my first ever collision between two objects in opposite Duna orbits. I wish I'd filmed that in 3d!! Tonight at 11, spacecraft slams into space station at 3.5km/s in stunning anaglyph ;D

Edited by Androsynth

I wonder how long till we can get monitors with polarising filters built in, so we don't need the multicolor glasses anymore. (ya know, what 3D movies do)

3D computer monitors already exist, and have for quite a while.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.