Europa Report. Holy crap what a great movie.

Motokid600

Just watched it last night and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was for a 'low'ish-budget' indie film. Very little really comes across as being inaccurate either, but where they fit 3+km of cable for the drill on the lander I'll never know. The realism isn't hammered into your face but is left recognizable in the background to those looking for it. This allowed my friends, who aren't at all into KSP, to enjoy it as well. The movie mostly deals with the human aspect of 6 people in a cramped space for 2 years. The only disappointing point was when the marine-biologist goes EVA on the surface and becomes a typical horror-movie cliché.

If someone wanted to recreate the mission in KSP (Eeloo Report?), it should be fairly easy to do so.

An "interesting" movie, for sure. I went into it with very little expectations, and I was not disappointed. If anything, it could have been longer, with more detail given to the characters and the mission. It's almost as if the plot existed solely to rush towards the inevitable conclusion (which was about as surprising as the sun rising). I don't fully appreciate the scrambled chronology for this type of movie either - just play it front-to-back and it'd have been a better flick. That said, the set design was great, the attention to detail on the "space" stuff was really good, and Sharlto's performance was stellar - albeit far too short.

Recommended, but it's not the next sci-fi classic in my opinion.

Now this thread probably could go elsewhere, but this movie is so...kerbal it belongs right here. My favorite space movie was 2001/2010 up until now. A space movie that's about the exploration and discovery. Most movies add in some horror alien factor and I hate that. Not to mention are completely unrealistic.

The trailer made it seem like they added horror,what with the screaming and the blue light which seemed to have killed a woman who shone her flashlight at it.The last 20-ish seconds of the trailer give a clear horror vibe.

The trailer made it seem like they added horror,what with the screaming and the blue light which seemed to have killed a woman who shone her flashlight at it.The last 20-ish seconds of the trailer give a clear horror vibe.

Yea they do that to hook people. I will say the last 5min has the horror factor ( space travel in general is horrifying. ) but the trailer doesn't do it justice. It's a movie about space through and through. Funny someone should mention recreating it with a trip to Eeloo. I'm doing the very same. I have a return ship and a near identical lander. The whole thing is currently waiting in LKO for refuel before making the transfer burn. I'll try and document it.

I really loved teh movie. Masterfully crafted and made in a way I loved. The only thing I didn't get is when the guy with Hyrdazine covering him was thrown away from the ship, what caused it? Unless the airlock was on a rotating part of the ship (Which would be an accident waiting to happen). Other than that, I loved the movie and how it was made as though it was happening in modern times.

I really loved teh movie. Masterfully crafted and made in a way I loved. The only thing I didn't get is when the guy with Hyrdazine covering him was thrown away from the ship, what caused it? Unless the airlock was on a rotating part of the ship (Which would be an accident waiting to happen). Other than that, I loved the movie and how it was made as though it was happening in modern times.

If I'm not mistaken the guy with the cut was floating unconscious in front of him. He pushed him in and the reaction force pushed him away. Don't really understand why he sacrificed himself though. Hydrazine is poisonous, but it isn't VX nerve gas. They could've just re-pressurized the capsule and refuel their suits. Should've bought them a few hours to fix the suit and clean up the hydrazine. After that they could've vented the room to get rid of the hydrazine vapors and everyone would be alive. Maybe a few acid burns and a nasty cough, but it beats death.

I didn't really like the movie however. The space stuff was good but the alien felt a bit too monster-of-the-week generic.

If I'm not mistaken the guy with the cut was floating unconscious in front of him. He pushed him in and the reaction force pushed him away. Don't really understand why he sacrificed himself though. Hydrazine is poisonous, but it isn't VX nerve gas. They could've just re-pressurized the capsule and refuel their suits. Should've bought them a few hours to fix the suit and clean up the hydrazine. After that they could've vented the room to get rid of the hydrazine vapors and everyone would be alive. Maybe a few acid burns and a nasty cough, but it beats death.

I didn't really like the movie however. The space stuff was good but the alien felt a bit too monster-of-the-week generic.

I would have liked if he had actually tried to take his suit off within the two minutes. After all, he did have 20 minutes of oxygen, more than enough to pressurize and depressurize the airlock for him. Or even if someone else went out there to help him get inside with it off.

And the Europa-1? Yes the movie was great, a real 10/10 for such a minuscule budget. Aazing plot and I don't understand the hate towards the mysterious squid-like alien. It was theoretically one of the early life forms on Earth so why not on Europa? I mean it is better than a green man or something. I hope when the movie releases in theatres, it will gross as much as possible since no one really showed Europa in film before.

This thread needs to be moved or locked.

Yeah, it should be the off topic section...err whatever it's called "junk yard" i think, don't think it should be locked though.

Ok...I don't know how this got posted twice, but I can't seem to delete either one. Hmmm, maybe I'm just missing the delete option somehow lol

Edited by Sma

This thread needs to be moved or locked.

Yeah, it should be the off topic section...err whatever it's called "junk yard" i think, don't think it should be locked though.

Way ahead of you fellas.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/38440-Europa-Report-Holy-crap-what-a-great-movie

I made this thread a few weeks backs after I saw it. Brilliant movie. Yea I don't understand the hate for the alien either. They did a good job with it. Besides. I bet the truth of whats really under all that ice is far greater then what any movie could depict. There was a few loop holes however. One was... what happened to the people on the orbiter? The movie ended after the lander sunk into the ice. And how they managed to fit a thousand meters of cable in the lander is beyond me. Idk why they used this thick cable in the movie.. I imagine it'd be as thin and light as possible in real life.

As for a KSP recreation.. I tried going to Eeloo. And.. well I failed. I managed to land, but the orbiter had to be used for the insertion burn. So.. didn't have enough to get back. I got three kerbals stranded on Eeloo now...

Merged the thread with Motokid600's, since they are really the same thing.

Please use the forum search function when creating new threads to see if it has already been discussed.

I rented it twice on iTunes. packed the living room full of friends. the non space-minded folks where easily board. However myself and those who've listened to me rant enough to appreciate the subtle touches that add to the realism in Europa Report. I highly recommend seeking out and watching this film. I mentioned this in another thread, but I think its important because of the tone of the trailer: this is not a Horror Movie.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just watched "Europa Report", and I'm still pretty much floored (or rather: iced. Haha!).

I'm a sucker for Hard Science Fiction, and boy, did this movie deliver. I don't think I've ever seen a more realistic depiction deep-space exploration since "A Space Odyssey".

Although there's a main cast of 6 (six!) full people, comparisons to "Moon" will be inevitable - but they'll be justified. The direction, atmosphere and performances are great, conveying the utter desolation and danger of space, but at the same time, ever so slightly, an ambiguous sense of discovery and adventure. Nevertheless, this is essentially a horror movie, but let that not discourage you, silly people who don't like horror movies. There is exactly zero bull**** in this movie, and absolutely no cheap jump scares.

My greatest problem with this movie is that I found the faux-documentary parts to be pretty much redundant, and at times anticlimactic. I would've very much prefered if the movie had actually ended on the last frame, without the Not-Tilda-Swinton CEO lady explaining why the last frame was so significant (not a spoiler, or so I hope). But those sections comprise about 5 out of 90 minutes, so it's a minor complaint.

Anyway: "Europa Report" is, in my humble opinion, the best Science Fiction movie since "Moon". You should watch it.

I was really disappointed by this movie, the story was very rushed and weird. There was no reason to cut the EVA catastrophe scene out of continuity. Before this scene the movie paraded to many times with a closed bunk on the background it completely killed the suspense. "Oh no I got goo on my suite". Yep, he's gonna die...

Also the characters where really 2 dimensional, the movie had a slow pace, there is nothing wrong with a slow pace but at least use it t build character. (the Russel T Davies Era of Doctor who had a slow pace in a lot of episodes but it was used to build some great characters... who doesn't love Wilfred).

In the trailers there where lots of shots of a beautifull Jupiter and a scary looking Europa. Even the (I believe it was) footage from the New horizons mission was used. But these shots where very rare and way t short. I loved the shot of Jupiter and it's moons. It could have cranked up the artistic part of the movie with more of these colourful shots.

As for the science, During the trip towards Europa I loved it. The educational videos. The artificial gravity. I loved the shot where the guy went from gravity to zero G. Untill the landing... I felt the landing was a bit rushed and to sci fi. The whole happening wasn't believable. Maybe Cordero should have used some inspiration from the Apollo 11 landing. Everyone on this forum has seen it (at least I hope so), and the suspense in the Apollo landing was better than the rushed landing in Europa. Less characters, more science. It would have boosted the hard science level and the suspense of the movie.

After the landing the movie had a very rushed feeling. This is inherent to movies, where you got only so little time to tell a tale. But this movie had a very slow pace in the journey towards Europa. Remember the astronaut that died had a kid. I feel the movie would not have suffered if the guy only had a girlfriend and no kid. It would open up some room in the movie for other stuff and it would loose nothing of the characters.

So far so good. I made some complaints but still enjoyed watching it. Until the submarine probe came in the mix. Why send a crew toward Europa to release a probe? It's the Space Shuttle all over again (why send both crew and a satellite in orbit ?)this started to kill the true science in the movie.

To come back to a point I made before. After the landing it was completely done with the cool spacey wacey shots. The shots of Europa through the window felt childish and rushed. I would have loved some cool exterior shots of europa. Also the EVA on Europa was weird to say the least. Way fabricate a suite, make an airlock in the lander and not having definite plans to have the crew go on EVA.

And then the part that annoyed the hell out of me (you know where I'm going). Florescent squids on Europa.

bth_Gob-Bluth.gif

For a movie, it is good enough. It is 90 minutes of entertainment. It does contain true science, but also kills this when the opportunity arrives. The trailer promised great shots. I felt betrayed by the trailer. Exiting parts in the mission(Liftoff, landing, EVA on Europa) where rushed and the time it freed was not used to it's full extend.

I agree with the first 4 words of the title of this topic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.