Europa Report. Holy crap what a great movie.

Motokid600

Now this thread probably could go elsewhere, but this movie is so...kerbal it belongs right here. My favorite space movie was 2001/2010 up until now. A space movie that's about the exploration and discovery. Most movies add in some horror alien factor and I hate that. Not to mention are completely unrealistic. I didn't think anything could top 2001, but my god this movie did.

Now its not out in theatres yet. I have Comcast so it was a $10 "watch before it hits theatres" deal on demand. Worth.. every ...penny. The movie is simply about a mission to Europa. They get there they drill through the ice and ....o boy lol. I loved every second. The visuals are practically.. real. I felt as if i was truly along for the ride. There is a fear factor, but they do it very very well. That feeling of isolation. That "We are actually here" feeling. I highly recommend this movie KSP fans will feel right at home. And ..well let's just say I have a greater appreciation for the lives of my kerbals after watching this.

Go watch it. Right now. By any means possible. I need to get this on blu ray asap.

I like that sort of "realistic" space movies, I've even watched quite a few low budget TV series such as "Voyage to the Planets" and "Race to Mars".

This one indeed sounds interesting, I'll make sure to watch it.

Lol that would be the first thing I did. A snowball. But seeing is how the EVA's in the movie go horribly wrong id advise against it. It's really cool they depict Europa as alot more hostile then you'd think. All that moving ice causes a lot of earthquakes. Which I imagine is very accurate. That ice moves fast. Future explorers may find that to be an issue. Hell it might just be dangerous to land a craft on it in general. A fissure could open up at anytime and sink the craft.

Uhh... from the trailer though it just looks like a space horror movie. Exactly what you're saying its not by the looks of it? Quite sure there seemed to be some kind of aliens and such, which made me instantly think - 'nah not interested'

If instead the trailer approached it with more "oh wow, theres life here" rather than "OH NO LIFE HERE" then I probably would have had a more positive view set up of it.

Uhh... from the trailer though it just looks like a space horror movie. Exactly what you're saying its not by the looks of it? Quite sure there seemed to be some kind of aliens and such, which made me instantly think - 'nah not interested'

If instead the trailer approached it with more "oh wow, theres life here" rather than "OH NO LIFE HERE" then I probably would have had a more positive view set up of it.

Yeah, anybody here would appreciate it if the trailer approached it that way, but few people outside of this community would. If more people see an accurate and unsensationalized movie about space (assuming what the OP says about it is correct) because of an action-packed trailer, then that's a good thing I think. Although most would probably leave thinking they were mislead and not appreciate it. That's basically what happened to the movie "Moon." (Which is amazing, I may add).

No don't get me wrong there are aliens... but there the right kind of aliens. Its not a horror film as in Prometheus. I was fooled by the trailer too, but NO its not what it looks like at all. The actions scenes you see are more or less just.. accidents. For instance the part where the guy in the space suit is screaming... they were EVA when he ripped a hole in his suit and depressurized. That scene was of him regaining consciousness. As for the guy that saved him well... hes the one that's floating away. That scene was great I truly felt really sorry for the dude.

Theres only two things I don't agree on in the movie. One is the landing zone. they land about 100meters off course and somehow this chick threaded a needle to get this thing down into a valley of ice. The next thing is when the probe finally breaks through the ice... they show sunlight peeking through even though they show the probe being at like 800 meters before it breaks through. But other then that its a truly remarkable movie. And all it did was make me want to play KSP even more lol.

I hate movies that don't explain how they got into orbit around a solar body, or throw some stupid explanation like "Warp" or "Teleportation".

I always feel that when they do orbital capture/escape burns they do them wrong.

YOU DO NOT THRUST TOWARDS AN OBJECT TO GET TO IT!!!!!!11111One!!!!1Eleven.

People that don't understand space travel won't really enjoy this movie. Yeah, I mean they may like it a little, but I think the most appreciation will come from those who are educated in at least a small form of space travel.

I can see what you mean there....fortunately most of us here should know a little something... :)

People that don't understand space travel won't really enjoy this movie. Yeah, I mean they may like it a little, but I think the most appreciation will come from those who are educated in at least a small form of space travel.

Many would expect it to be some other "Space Fighter" style stuff where all the spacecrafts don't follow orbital mechanics...

I liked the film, although it'd be nice to have a movie without any disasters. Just seeing the epic landscapes would be enough.

I'm kind of afraid that the general public will start seeing manned space exploration in negative light after watching so many of these movies.

I liked the film, although it'd be nice to have a movie without any disasters. Just seeing the epic landscapes would be enough.

I'm kind of afraid that the general public will start seeing manned space exploration in negative light after watching so many of these movies.

You did see it? I do agree, but even 2001 had a disaster. That's why I liked 2010. Most of them actually made it back. It's nice that the disasters in this movie are practical though. More or less... for instance "The ice is thinner then we thought" And there always will be a unpredictable variable. Future explorers may indeed find the surface far more hostile then we thought. Like the earthquakes ( Europaquakes? ) from the shifting ice. That would be detrimental to a mission. A fissure could open up at anytime and sink the craft. I think sending people down to the surface of these moons in the future may not actually happen. Europa and especially Io might be far too active to send humans to the surface. I remember reading something like the topography of Io changes as fast as our weather does. So you never know there will always be that one variable. Like alien fish that can melt the ice lol.

Another thing I didn't understand was...what happened to the orbiter at the end?

Where and when is it being released? I can't seem to find any information on it's release. I live in Western Australia, I'm guessing since it's a low budget it will have a limited release and probably not here...

I hate movies that don't explain how they got into orbit around a solar body, or throw some stupid explanation like "Warp" or "Teleportation".

I always feel that when they do orbital capture/escape burns they do them wrong.

YOU DO NOT THRUST TOWARDS AN OBJECT TO GET TO IT!!!!!!11111One!!!!1Eleven.

You do if it's a brachistochrone transfer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.