Potenional Scam

hotmailcompany52

So, while I was looking at some videos on you tube this suspicious message and it said some thing like "your browser has some serious bugs. Please update Google Chrome". It came from this website: LINK REMOVED and i think it is a scam because it doesn't come from an official Google website.

Edited by Capt'n Skunky
Link removed.

Most likely some kind of scam. One thing is for certain though, it's not legit. I get the same message about Chrome bugs when I click that link but I use Firefox. I don't even HAVE Chrome on this PC.

A quick virus scan might be in order. As said above, while its likely you didn't get anything, it's still a possibility.

It's also probably best that you take the hyperlink down and just say the name of the website, so people know what to look for without actually being directed there.

EDIT: As long as I'm here; It's worth noting I've seen some phony Java update alerts going around. I'd recommend always updating through your computer's existing updater or the official website.

Edited by Astrobug

In 999 out of a 1000 cases my scanner picks up threads before they can do any harm. But I agree, there is still a small chance something might have gone through.

And since I had a scan scheduled for later today I am manually scanning right now. Found nothing so far.

Edit: Scan complete: clean!

(N.B. That does NOT mean the link itself is clean! Just that I did not get infected.)

Edited by Tex_NL

Microsoft security essentials.

And be careful with that Norton, those kind of effectively-advert-for-itself antiviruses are extremely hard to uninstall completely, and having multiple antivirii active can result in various issues.

Microsoft security essentials.

And be careful with that Norton, those kind of effectively-advert-for-itself antiviruses are extremely hard to uninstall completely, and having multiple antivirii active can result in various issues.

That is exactly why I recommend not using anything that says "real time protection" or anything that installs processes that run on start up and stay open in the background. You probably payed hard earned money for your pc. Why eat up valuable resources with software that is not needed. The best way to keep your machine virus free is to stay away from bad sites. Experience and research is all that's needed. In the case you think you may have come across something bad, Malwarebytes or super-antispyware or something similar is all that's needed, along with your windows firewall. These only run when you tell them, and are very effective.

That is exactly why I recommend not using anything that says "real time protection" or anything that installs processes that run on start up and stay open in the background. You probably payed hard earned money for your pc. Why eat up valuable resources with software that is not needed. The best way to keep your machine virus free is to stay away from bad sites. Experience and research is all that's needed. In the case you think you may have come across something bad, Malwarebytes or super-antispyware or something similar is all that's needed, along with your windows firewall. These only run when you tell them, and are very effective.

This is awful, terrible advice.

I use avast. I also hear things like avg are good.

When you've had as many people come to you with "why is my computer so slow?" as I've had,and then you find a machine choked with malware and AVG installed then you can say that it's terrible advice. Every single time, the malware has been easier to remove than AVG. AVG is the absolute worst in my opinion. I don't have anything against Avast, but do a simple search through this forum and you can find numerous cases of Avast interfering with KSP. Once again, it comes down to research. You should educate yourself as to why Facebook snookers so many people with work at home scams, "free" offers, etc. This is where bad things come from. Facebook in of itself is not bad, but some people who use it are. This is just one example. Just because you choose to install a resource bleeding antivirus doesn't mean you are protected. Also, I am not recommending absolutely no maintenance at all. I am recommending that you do it yourself, by manually running a tool such as malwarebytes on a regular basis. This helps you identify exactly where bad things come from so that you can avoid them in the future. Have a nice day.:)

This is awful, terrible advice.

indeed, worst ever.

Any quality AV system integrates with Windows Security Essentials, ensuring parts of the latter are selectively disabled to ensure no conflicting components are running.

If Norton doesn't do that, I'd not be surprised. But I know McAfee and Kaspersky (the latter much superior, and better customer support) certainly do and work well on blocking trojan websites like what OP linked as they actively hunt for them and block access to them (as well as disallowing and removing the stuff those sites try to trick onto your system).

I don't have time right now to refute all your claims, but I have to say you sound like a salesman. Read McAfee's Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McAfee

In particular,

On April 21, 2010, beginning at approximately 14:00 UTC, millions of computers worldwide running Windows XP Service Pack 3 were affected by an erroneous virus definition file update by McAfee, resulting in the removal of a Windows system file (svchost.exe) on those machines, causing machines to lose network access and, in some cases, enter a reboot loop.

I am suspicious of any large cooperation that tries to trick you with "free security scans" and attaching their software to java updates. They are out for their bottom line, not your security. I understand your fears and maybe it is best for new users to have a security blanket. I am simply trying to point out that your behavior online is the largest factor in determining the security of your pc, not a pre-installed, pay later or we discontinue your service piece of crap software. Kapersky may be a good solution, I don't know. I haven't done the research, but will later.

Edited by Otis
spelling

I don't need no antivirus software because I don't run programs I don't trust*. I've been doing it that way for years and it's worked out pretty good so far.

Ok I run programs I don't trust sometimes, but usually in a sandbox, like Windows for example.

Seconded, Otis this is actually great advise.

Kaspersky is a rip-off, simple as.

nope

Kaspersky is a very high-quality anti-virus, usually worth the initial charge*.

*not that you should have to pay to keep your computer alive, but Kaspersky does such a good job of it.

(I can't even click on the bloody font size editor on an iPad. What the heck.)

After looking into Avira and Kapersky a little more, I would have to say that if I were to install another anti-virus, I would go with Avira.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avira

Kapersky is better than some of the others, but not without problems of its own, specifically this from its wikipedia page.

Internet censorship in Russia[edit]

Natalia Kaspersky, former CEO and co-majority shareholder of Kaspersky Lab, released a public statement[when?] supporting efforts by the president Putin to create a national firewall similar to the Great Firewall of China despite universal condemnation from human rights groups and internet freedom advocates, including Wikipedia, which recently shutdown its Russian-language site in protest of this legislation. It has been speculated that Kaspersky's support for this firewall is due to the fact that Kaspersky Lab would likely stand to profit from government contracts associated with developing and maintaining these new national filters.[35]

Kaspersky Lab itself has not commented on Kaspersky's remarks or its position on internet censorship in Russia and other countries.

Finally, as one last kick in the groin to McAfee, check out link #51 at the bottom of McAfee's wikipedia page, "how to uninstall McAfee antivirus" on you tube, by it's founder John McAfee. I almost had a heart attack from laughing so hard.

so you fell for the conspiracy theory that Kaspersky is a backdoor for the Russian government to shut down western computers...

Same can be said (and has been) about pretty much every other IT company and the government of the country they call home.

Been using their products for over a decade, works great, very low performance impact.

so you fell for the conspiracy theory that Kaspersky is a backdoor for the Russian government to shut down western computers...

Same can be said (and has been) about pretty much every other IT company and the government of the country they call home.

Been using their products for over a decade, works great, very low performance impact.

I haven't fell for anything. I merely quoted what's in Wikipedia. You can make your own assumptions. Off topic - I have studied my history. If anyone has the right to be suspicious of the motivations of other countries, it's Russia.

I'd say we can safely assume Kaspersky is not some kind of Russian plot. Because the FSB aren't stupid enough to assume an expensive program that does a service available at equivalent quality for free is going to get anywhere...

service available at equivalent quality for free is going to get anywhere...

Yeah, I think not. Free antiviruses (antivirii?) are decent enough, but Kaspersky is one of the strongest, user-friendliest, and safest antiviruses (my computer says it's "antiviruses" so there you go) that has ever been invented. Free programs like PandaCloud just do not compare.

Then again, I'm not the one paying for the license, so I'm kind of unbiased.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.