[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

http://s020.radikal.ru/i705/1406/bc/064510178be1t.jpg

Here Mk1 command pod is the root part, it has got an interstage adapter with Mk1 lander can attached to it. When I launch this vessel the lander can with the adapter fall on the lander can.

I did that once as well. I don't know the exact mechanism, but you need to have some side fairings there for it to hold shape. I guess some part of the procedural process isn't performed until you add the fairings.

It makes sense, after all. You can't expect it to hang in mid air, can you?

I've got a weird problem with this mod on Linux 64 bit. The part attached to the outer node of interstage adapter detaches from there when the craft is loaded at the launch pad. I've got another installation of KSP on Windows 7 with absolutely same mods and everything is running well here. I've got some crafts made in Windows KSP with this interstage adapter and they work fine in Linux KSP but only before I re-attach a part to the outer node of interstage adapter.

Example:

http://s020.radikal.ru/i705/1406/bc/064510178be1t.jpg

Here Mk1 command pod is the root part, it has got an interstage adapter with Mk1 lander can attached to it. When I launch this vessel the lander can with the adapter fall on the lander can.

It should detach immediately if you have no side fairings holding it at the topmost node. Or do you mean it detaches with side fairings still attached to the adapter?

The mouse re-sizing is no longer a thing. Instead, right-click on the base and use the tweak buttons to change the size - double-arrow buttons jump to the next standard part size, single-arrow buttons nudge the size slightly.

Procedural fairings doesn't provide alternate textures, but there are a few mods that provide alternative fairings with varying textures and shapes; KOSMOS is one such.

I have kosmos and it does not work with PF 3.x because it's looking for the dll in the old keramzit path! So what am I missing? I have been using PF 2.4.4 because 3.0.2 broke my existing ships and did not work with kosmos. I would like to update but I am to far into my current career game to have to kill all my existing ships or try to fix a huge peristent.sfs file.

If there is something to fix pre 3.x ships and make this work with kosmos I sure would appreciate it. I'd also think it would be worth linking up at the top of the post so folks don't have to hunt through 1953 forum posts.

Edited by ctbram

You don't understand how KSP deals with .dlls. KOSMOS is not "looking" for PF in any folder - it says "this part uses the ProceduralFairings module". KSP then links that part to the PF .dll that it had loaded previously.

We have already suggested several times that you upload a copy of one of your ship files somewhere and link to it so we can look at the file and suggest what the problem might be. Please do so! We can't help you until you do that.

You don't understand how KSP deals with .dlls. KOSMOS is not "looking" for PF in any folder - it says "this part uses the ProceduralFairings module". KSP then links that part to the PF .dll that it had loaded previously.

We have already suggested several times that you upload a copy of one of your ship files somewhere and link to it so we can look at the file and suggest what the problem might be. Please do so! We can't help you until you do that.

ah kk got it. and yeah that makes sense the dll gets loaded and then the kosmos app looks for the objects within the linked dll. Sorry I must have missed the earlier responses.

kosmos imply stopped working so I assumed it could not find the objects it was looking for in the new PF dll. I have a lot of mods and I am deep into a 0.23.5 run so I have a lot of ships that get greyed out in the vab and I just did not want to go through a complicated process to try and fix them all.

what do you want my persistant.sfs or all my broken craft files or both?

UPDATE: I installed 3.05 and my ships are no longer broken so (A) I installed 3.03 wrong or (B) 3.05 fixed whatever 3.03 was doing. If I had to guess I would choose (A). My friend updated after I warned him that things broke for me and nothing broke for him. I just was to lazy to go back and try it again. Once you start getting to mod overload you hate to change things.

Anyway it seems to be working fine now. I have PF 3.05, KOSMOS, and the blackhawk texture mods and everything seems to be stable.

Thanks for the feedback and sorry I missed a couple posts and was confused about how the dll objects worked.

Edited by ctbram

It should detach immediately if you have no side fairings holding it at the topmost node. Or do you mean it detaches with side fairings still attached to the adapter?

Sorry, I didn't know about this feature. It works fine with side fairings.

In 3.03 when I have the Thrust Plate Multi-Adapter in a stage above where I put my Fairing Base, the fairings only go up to the Thrust Plate, not all the way up to cover the top of the vessel. Is this a known bug or maybe even fixed in the later versions? Any workarounds available?

Thanks in advance.

Picture for clarification:

uPsJE8J.jpg

update: Hmm... rebuilding that top part with the Thrust Plate and the Service Compartment fixed that.... maybe it was just a glitch.

Edited by MrOnak

... I installed 3.05 and my ships are no longer broken ...

Glad to hear things are now working for you!

Installing mods in KSP can be tricky - we really need mod-authors to stick to a rigidly consistent format and for there to be a stock mod manager that we can just drag .zip files onto to install them.

I'd like the option to remove the fairing peices from staging. Sometimes I use staging, sometimes I don't and the times I don't they just clutter up the staging list. Is that possible through MM or will e-dog need to add it?

As for fuel crossfeed, it's easy to make it toggle-able, but changing up/down flow has issues with multi-adapters. You can install Procedural Parts, they have conical structural part you can use to cover the plate, as well as tanks.

I took your advice and installed Procedural Parts. They are really wonderful and enabled me to apply new ship designs :) Thank you for the hint once again. Nevertheless I still miss the fuel crossfeed toggle for the thrust plate. Even if the toggle allow to choose between full crossfeed and top-down crossfeed (and optionally no crossfeed as the third option), it would be great help – the plate is simply an excellent component with many uses where the unidirectional crossfeed is limiting.

Please, please, please – add the toggle in the next release :blush:

I'd like the option to remove the fairing peices from staging. Sometimes I use staging, sometimes I don't and the times I don't they just clutter up the staging list. Is that possible through MM or will e-dog need to add it?

TweakableEverything can do that with a simple MM patch.

I've spent some time in the VAB with PF and IR trying to make robotic fairings that open like this:

eb2890c4a8.jpg

Can anybody give me some advice as to how to go about it? The nodes on the fairing pieces wont attach to anything other than the nodes on the adapter. I'm guessing it could probably be done with a cfg edit, but would need to be told what to change.

It would involve setting the size of the fairing, then detaching the fairing installing a hinge and placing the pre-sized fairing piece to said hinge. Would this mess with the way the plugin works?

Oops never mind! Should have spent an extra 15 minutes wrapping my head around it. After some artistic thinking, finding that the fairing pieces had no problem attaching to the main stacks center node I used the thrust plates attached to the hinges to make the assembly. Here is the result:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Oops never mind! Should have spent an extra 15 minutes wrapping my head around it. After some artistic thinking, finding that the fairing pieces had no problem attaching to the main stacks center node I used the thrust plates attached to the hinges to make the assembly. Here is the result:

http://imgur.com/a/Rfvr5

Have you try'ed FASA mod as the very part your looking for all you would have to do is add the hinges.

So, i updated to latest version, started clean career mode and now parts just don't show up in VAB, what could be the problem? they show up in the tech tree though, i have no idea what is the problem.

So, i updated to latest version, started clean career mode and now parts just don't show up in VAB, what could be the problem? they show up in the tech tree though, i have no idea what is the problem.

I have no idea from your description too.

Did you research Flight Control? Are all the parts in that tech node marked as "purchased"?

I have no idea from your description too.

Did you research Flight Control? Are all the parts in that tech node marked as "purchased"?

Yes, i researched them and they are purchased. They just don't show up in VAB. I deleted all my mods (since i haven't updated them in a while) install them again and it worked, however i'm still curious how was that possible :D i didn't change a single mod except Procedural Fairings.

Parts over 6 meters in diameter still have absurdly large masses. As an example, a 10 x 5 interstage constructed with PF weighs 12.95 tonnes. A real-life Saturn V interstage of the same size weighted only 5.2 tonnes. Same with the thrust plate - once over 6 m in diamater, it becomes prohibitively (and implausibly) heavy.

Is mass still the cube rather than the square (or 2.5 power) of the radius? It'd take a bit of research to figure how interstages actually scale...while the skirting themselves are obviously based on the surface area, the framing...dunno.

Also, the N1's first-second stage interstage massed 13 tons btw. :) (And that was what, 8m diameter?)

In my VAB the only parts I'm getting is the 3 different parts but only in 1.25 m, I'm in sandbox. Whats going on?

They're all resizable now. Right-click on the part after attaching it and you'll see the sizing slider. I'm glad they did this as it cuts down on the VAB clutter. :)

Parts over 6 meters in diameter still have absurdly large masses. As an example, a 10 x 5 interstage constructed with PF weighs 12.95 tonnes. A real-life Saturn V interstage of the same size weighted only 5.2 tonnes. Same with the thrust plate - once over 6 m in diamater, it becomes prohibitively (and implausibly) heavy.

It looks okay to me since its only about x2 heavier, mostly in line with other KSP (stock) stuff. If you want it more realistic for RSS or something, you can adjust the specificMass parameter. The four numbers are the coefficients for cube of size, square of size, linear size, and constant respectively.