[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

This works great for me and is slowly replacing all my existing craft's fairings. Keep up the great work.

One thing I wouldn't mind is some sort of payload stabilisation/support for loads at the top. Once payloads get past a certain length they start to become very wobbly (particularly when using mechJeb to launch ;) ). It would be cool if there could be some added support inside the fairings to counter this - like space age bubblewrap?

This works great for me and is slowly replacing all my existing craft's fairings. Keep up the great work.

One thing I wouldn't mind is some sort of payload stabilisation/support for loads at the top. Once payloads get past a certain length they start to become very wobbly (particularly when using mechJeb to launch ;) ). It would be cool if there could be some added support inside the fairings to counter this - like space age bubblewrap?

If you play around with the camera to see inside the fairing, you can place struts inside that keep the fairings stable and eliminate the wobble.

mtkLfuc.jpg

1ajZP3M.jpg

I made this thing to be as wobbly as possible on purpose. If I try to launch it without the fairings, it falls apart as soon as it leaves the pad:

wN18ezH.jpg

If I try to launch it WITH fairings, the payload just clips through them and it falls apart:

U45qFCX.jpg

but when I place struts like in the picture it becomes rock-solid and flies straight as an arrow!

F3P8FNi.jpg

It would be nice if the fairings could act like struts on their own or automatically place struts between themselves and whatever is contained within.

Edited by Awaras

OMG that is so outrageous it's awesome!! I must try it!

I've found with previous fairings (like KW) I can't attach struts so had just assumed the same. This makes it easier.

I would certainly love auto-struts if it's possible though. Maybe rather than struts perhaps disks that extend inwards from the fairings to the first thing in their way. (makes sense to me anyway)

Fantastic update! Thanks for a great mod!

I've noticed something that may not be apparent, when creating double ended fairings with different sized end plates the end you attach the fairing part to defines the shape of the fairing. Attach it to the large end and you get a large cylinder with a blunt taper at the small end. Attach the part to the smaller plate and you get a more conical effect. This is great for customising your rockets. You can see the effect in the screen shot below.

http://sdrv.ms/13o9mny

You can also adjust radius to get similar effects with the other base. Radius affects cone placement too.

A tiny problem I noticed just now: the fairings work great when I first place them, but when I return from the launch pad to the VAB or I load a ship with procedural fairings, I get this:

It's easy to fix, you just pick up the fairings, place them again and all is great, just thought I should report it.

Could you post the .craft file for this?

Adding auto-struts is easy, it's removing them where most problems are. You don't want them stuck forever to the payload, and there are many corner cases like decoupling/undocking/RUD that should cut struts.

Adding auto-struts is easy, it's removing them where most problems are. You don't want them stuck forever to the payload, and there are many corner cases like decoupling/undocking/RUD that should cut struts.

Hey, don't get me wrong, if you don't change a thing in this mod will still be one of the best KSP mods EVER in my book. I am fine with placing the struts manually. I understand that automatically placing struts to the payload could cause problems and glitches. What if it 'lands' on an undeployed solar panel or landing leg? The strut 'stub' would just float there and look weird... How about if the automatic struts were made to connect the top of the fairing to the fairing base above? The fairings remain unconnected to the top base at the moment and can sometime start to wobble strangely.w In-line interstage fairings need structural strenght the most anyway... OR, if there is no fairing base on top (the fairing is the nose cone) then the auto-struts connect the fairings to each other to reduce wobble. And, of course, the struts break once you decouple the fairing...

Edited by Awaras

Wow. Again, amazing work.

Would there be any way to make the number of sections (I.E. there are currently 3; out, up, and in) on the fairings configurable? I really like how it is now, but with some more complex payloads it can be inefficient.

Also, what method do you use for the fairing curves at the moment?

this mod is great, but maybe im wanting too much, but i wish we could adjust the shape a bit, somewhat like procedural wings, tried making a Saturn V clone using NP2 the fairings i have for that pack work but i was looking to see if i could get a more stable LEM fairing with this one, I have my LEM mounted between the 3.75m 3rd stage and my CM engine wanting a fairing that covers the very simple 2 man lander i have with out bulging out kinda like KWs hollow 3m-2m adapter/decoupler but a little taller, other than that issue, i love these fairings dont really use any of the others anymore

Edited by hellion13
Horrid grammar

Hey, don't get me wrong, if you don't change a thing in this mod will still be one of the best KSP mods EVER in my book. I am fine with placing the struts manually. I understand that automatically placing struts to the payload could cause problems and glitches. What if it 'lands' on an undeployed solar panel or landing leg? The strut 'stub' would just float there and look weird... How about if the automatic struts were made to connect the top of the fairing to the fairing base above? The fairings remain unconnected to the top base at the moment and can sometime start to wobble strangely.w In-line interstage fairings need structural strenght the most anyway... OR, if there is no fairing base on top (the fairing is the nose cone) then the auto-struts connect the fairings to each other to reduce wobble. And, of course, the struts break once you decouple the fairing...

What about something similar to the quantum struts mod? If you're not familiar here's part of the description from Spaceport:

"They’re small devices that when powered harness a form of quantum locking to create a ‘strut’ from one point to another, enabling your docked vessels to connect to each other as though they had physical struts connecting them.". Here's the spaceport link

It might be possible to embed something similar to this inside of the farings so that they are like virtual struts that disappear once ejected?

Only a thought!

this mod is great, but maybe im wanting too much, but i wish we could adjust the shape a bit, somewhat like procedural wings, tried making a Saturn V clone using NP2 the fairings i have for that pack work but i was looking to see if i could get a more stable LEM fairing with this one, I have my LEM mounted between the 3.75m 3rd stage and my CM engine wanting a fairing that covers the very simple 2 man lander i have with out bulging out kinda like KWs hollow 3m-2m adapter/decoupler but a little taller, other than that issue, i love these fairings dont really use any of the others anymore

You can do that. If you need to reshape, move your mouse over your bases while holding R. My LEM fairings (ignore the spam of struts)

Are the fairings purely cosmetic, or do they affect the aerodynamics?

My problem: I've made a huge permanent Eve base. It has its center of gravity spot on, yet the launch rocket slowly tips over, due to the drag being a bit off, making it un-launchable. I could fix it by trial and error and adding stuff until drag balance out, but that would take forever, especially since the entire vessel is so complex that it'll take at least two hours for each trial launch (yeah, I know, it's a bit much, but it's such a cool base that it'll be worth it...). So, if I put fairings covering the payload, would it solve the offset drag problems?

No, in the stock game the fairings are only cosmetic. However, if you install the Ferram Aerospace Research (FAR) mod then fairings will enclose the payload aerodynamically. (FAR also affects the aerodynamics of most of a rocket, so you have to fly them rather differently and may have to re-design them.)

I just had to pop in here and thank the author of this amazing mod! I downloaded it and started using it today, and simply love it!! Now my rockets look like rockets instead of looking like I strapped some bottle rockets onto the bottom of a hot wheels car. :) Fantastic mod!

I've been trying to launch some large and oddly-shaped objects recently, and I've noticed that the fairings, even when set on high, don't eject with enough force to clear the payload. Thus, I surface-attached some Separatrons, facing inwards, to them. However, I've noticed that this sometimes generates phantom forces (or something), which cause MechJeb to muck up flying it (and end up careening it into the ground), when, without the Separatrons, it could fly the exact same rocket perfectly.

The reason I say phantom forces is because it always seems to manifest itself as the prograde direction (and the rotation) veering slightly off what would otherwise be normal, and MechJeb then compensating, and compensating, and compensating, before going irretrievably off course and hitting the ground. Keep in mind that MechJeb is able to fly the rocket just fine without the Separatrons.

ive only had 1 issue with this update and thats with the quad fairing when i revert back to hanger and sometimes when i revert to launch either some fairings be missing or hvae reverted to here small triange shape

ive only had 1 issue with this update and thats with the quad fairing when i revert back to hanger and sometimes when i revert to launch either some fairings be missing or hvae reverted to here small triange shape

Can confirm this issue.

Sometimes when going back from a launch to the VAB/ loading up the craft, the interstage fairings with quad symmetry forget their shape and sometimes fail to appear at all.