[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Sorry if you've answered this already, but currently I can only resize up to 1.5 metres, even though I have 3.75 metre parts. It is slightly annoying. Could you please be a bit more specific how the tech limits the size?

...and I found just what I was looking for by reading common.cfg. Never mind me...

For some reason, the tweakable size bar for all of the bases, except for the interstage fairing adapter, is not showing up. And that one is giving me a bar that only goes up to 1.15

It looks like you have an old version of PF. Make sure you've updated and deleted the old one (there's no Keramzit folder anymore).

It might also be an issue with old KSPAPIExtensions.dll (used by Procedural Parts and other mods), you need to update those mods too if that's an issue.

It looks like you have an old version of PF. Make sure you've updated and deleted the old one (there's no Keramzit folder anymore).

It might also be an issue with old KSPAPIExtensions.dll (used by Procedural Parts and other mods), you need to update those mods too if that's an issue.

I'll look into KSPAPIExtensions.dll. Currently the fairings are affected by my aero tech, is this the correct behavior? All is well in that case.

That's troubling. I count three mods then that distribute the same dll in their own distribution folder. Two of which I use and the third that I'll most likely use if I get my computer issues sorted. And if any one of them is out of date it can cause issues with other mods? This is the sort of problem I feared when Module Manager was threatening to move to a system that required a separate dll in every mod's folder. How many other mods use it?

That's troubling. I count three mods then that distribute the same dll in their own distribution folder. Two of which I use and the third that I'll most likely use if I get my computer issues sorted. And if any one of them is out of date it can cause issues with other mods? This is the sort of problem I feared when Module Manager was threatening to move to a system that required a separate dll in every mod's folder. How many other mods use it?

Nope. There was a problem with old version of KSPAPIExtensions not working correctly with other versions of that DLL. If you still has that old version, it'll cause trouble. If you have a newer one (where the bug was fixed), it'll work correctly with multiple DLLs of different versions in different mods - it'll detect the latest version and will use it.

There's also a thread for mod devs using it so it'll be updated as necessary.

Ok, I think I nailed it down to sub-assemblies. In the first example image, the trusses, landing gear, RCS fuel, thrusters and decoupler were all one subassembly. When I attached it to my rover and tried putting a fairing base on the bottom the fairing would only cover a single truss(as show in the image). When I took off both trusses (just the trusses and attached landing gear) and rebuilt them with parts straight from the part catalog, when I attached the fairing base to the bottom it properly created a fairing to cover the entire craft (including the mirrored sub-assembly at the top I didn't touch).

Can you please send me (or post here) your .craft files, including sub-assembly one, so I can test it and fix that bug?

I've tried to re-create it from your pictures, but fairings always cover everything.

Career mode?
Yes. But this usually only happens when theres parts on the craft that are invalid (don't exist)

etePaWh.png

I replaced the old pfairings folder with the new one (although it was a bit hard to find because it was GameData\Keramzit\ProceduralFairings but in the rar there was only a pfairings folder.

Yes. But this usually only happens when theres parts on the craft that are invalid (don't exist)

http://i.imgur.com/etePaWh.png

I replaced the old pfairings folder with the new one (although it was a bit hard to find because it was GameData\Keramzit\ProceduralFairings but in the rar there was only a pfairings folder.

I just noticed my fairings have dissapeared, there are only the fairing bases.

http://i.imgur.com/etePaWh.png

Bulk copying from the Keramzit folder will do more harm than good and any time you think you need to do that, stop and look for an alternate solution.

The new version of PF contains all the old parts.

Now, that picture you posted says LOCKED or invalid parts. Locked means either not researched or researched but not not unlocked. Unlocking is not usually necessary but sometimes you have to go back to the research center and select the part there and unlock it. It is different from just researching and it happens if a part was not present in a category when that category was researched.

At this point you should delete your ProceduralFairings folder. Delete Keramzit folder if it still exists. Delete anything from that folder if any part of it exists anywhere in the GameData folder

Then reinstall the latest version of PF.

Resist any temptation to copy anything from Keramzit.

Don't tamper with it further. Load the game up and look for items to unlock in the research center.

Don't do that. Remove the old Keramzit folder and install new version in GameData/ProceduralFairings.

If you don't might waiting a few hours, I'll do a bugfixing release which fixes that too.

Or I can tell you how to fix it yourself.

Don't do that. Remove the old Keramzit folder and install new version in GameData/ProceduralFairings.

If you don't might waiting a few hours, I'll do a bugfixing release which fixes that too.

Or I can tell you how to fix it yourself.

Alright, I did have a few rockets I needed to build which required fairings but I'll wait a few hours.

And I'll put it in gamedata/proceduralfairings and delete the old folder, and see how that plays out.

Updated to 3.04:

• Added fake parts to make tech upgrades visible in the tech tree.
  • Restored TechRequired for old parts to avoid issues with loading old designs in career mode.
  • Fixed bug that allowed to cheat tech limits in career mode.
  • Reduced default fairing ejection torque.

Updated to 3.04:

• Added fake parts to make tech upgrades visible in the tech tree.
  • Restored TechRequired for old parts to avoid issues with loading old designs in career mode.
  • Fixed bug that allowed to cheat tech limits in career mode.
  • Reduced default fairing ejection torque.

After update, fairings do an Angry Alligator on me.

To illustrate:

Fairings on this rocket is supposed to be jettisoned.

VShQ3iY.jpg

Payload - as you can see, it's a simple test weight:

4VzjWq7.jpg

Nothing was tweaked except base size.

This happens with all my designs - old, new, rebuilt. Fairings work as advertised only if there is nothing under them.

Hi, this mod is amazing. I like the fairings, but even more I like the thrust plate.

However, I think it might be improved a bit and perhaps another "procedural" addition might fit it very well. Here is the improvement proposal.

What about the possibility to set the allowed fuel crossfeed for the thrust plate?

The couple of tweaks "Allow top-to-down fuel crossfeed" and "Allow down-to-top fuel crossfeed" (if possible) looks like the best way to use it. If it could be used in flight, it would be even better (imagine using the plate as a compartment divider), but even having it just in the editor would be great.

Below I attached an image how I used the plate and what made me think of this feature.

What about having the possibility to change both top and down radius and the height of the thrust plate?

Alright, it stops being a thrust plate :D A more suitable name (procedural fuselage, perhaps?) might be used. Anyway, again the image below can explain what it might be good for.

And finally, what about making a radial version the procedural fuselage?

One of the big challenges, which I could not solve to my full satisfaction, is attaching larger (and heavier) parts radially. Maybe I miss something, but stock parts are quite limited, and neither KW Rocketry nor B9 offers much more in this direction. A radially attachable structural part, that would allow tweaking to work and look good with larger parts, would be a gift from heavens.

Now the promised image(s).

Here is my Kethane mining tower.

2qi3e41.jpg

I don't like much the bottom side of the plate and I wanted a thicker base plate, so I attached two together with bottom sides facing each other. Almost perfect, just without TAC Fuel Balancer (or ugly external fuel ducts) the top fuel tanks can't feed the engines on the feet of the tower. Here comes the crossfeed direction tweak.

With the procedural fuselage (with multiple attach points) it would be even simpler.

I believe there is almost no need to emphasize how much radial attachment ports are missing. But here is another example.

And finally, what about making a radial version the procedural fuselage?

One of the big challenges, which I could not solve to my full satisfaction, is attaching larger (and heavier) parts radially. Maybe I miss something, but stock parts are quite limited, and neither KW Rocketry nor B9 offers much more in this direction. A radially attachable structural part, that would allow tweaking to work and look good with larger parts, would be a gift from heavens.

I don't quite get it. Do you mean node attachment (with green balls in the VAB) on the sides of the part, like a stock station hub?

As for fuel crossfeed, it's easy to make it toggle-able, but changing up/down flow has issues with multi-adapters. You can install Procedural Parts, they have conical structural part you can use to cover the plate, as well as tanks.

Thanks for the fix!

A quick suggestion: can you make top radius for interstage adapter to be tweakable to 0, i.e. ability to make it a fairing base with invisible floating decoupler? Would be invaluable for some designs.

it occurred to me this would also be a good place to ask: has anyone successfully added heatshielding (for DREC) to these fairings and gotten them to work? Adding them isn't a big deal but I'm not sure how to configure them so that they actually protect parts behind them.

I don't quite get it. Do you mean node attachment (with green balls in the VAB) on the sides of the part, like a stock station hub?

As for fuel crossfeed, it's easy to make it toggle-able, but changing up/down flow has issues with multi-adapters. You can install Procedural Parts, they have conical structural part you can use to cover the plate, as well as tanks.

Changing the fuel crossfeed would be nice anyway. So I'm looking forward if it appears in the future. Regarding the Procedural Parts, I didn't know about that mod. I'll try it.

And the node attachment: well, everybody knows the stock BZ-52 Radial Attachment Point. It is fine, but small and not much firm. It would be great to have a procedural radial attachment point. So far clear, I hope.

Then I begun to mix more ideas in… and the result must have confused you :confused: What if the attachment point could have more nodes like the thrust plate has? Or what if it could have variable height (not only radius), so it could span further from the part which the point is attached to?

Anyway, you do good work and I'm looking forward to any news :) Thank you for that!