[WIP] KerbTown v0.13 Beta - Place static buildings, cities, launch sites & more!

Razchek

Lookin' good rasheed. What's the actual scale of your city? :)

I forgot to mention earlier I published an update for KerbTown (v0.07 beta)

Just fixes the hallucination bug.

Also, I've updated the KerbTown content pack - just to move the beta testers' Easter Egg to a new location - still at the north pole if you're looking. :wink:

It won't be visible until you're at least within 10,000 meters. Is that too mean? lol

Its kinda outta scale (too small) im keeping it like that to make building easier and it will be scaled up when its finished.

UPDATE:NLy7qnW.png

Added slope to the roads, residental block added, made jeb's house (far right)

I am wondering if there is some way to take ship modules and make them "deploy" with appropriate animations then change from a vessel into a static structure.

I am thinking specifically of some of the HOME modules, but first you would have to fix all the buggy animations and update the code since Bobcat does not support, fix bugs or provide updates for any of his mods.

I'm going to jump in and say probably not. What you could do is model the item as a static object then fly the ship version to the proper location, then deploy the static object. So far you can't interact with them exactly like they were a ship, can't "enter" them or dock to them properly yet but that could be changed

I am wondering if there is some way to take ship modules and make them "deploy" with appropriate animations then change from a vessel into a static structure.

I am thinking specifically of some of the HOME modules, but first you would have to fix all the buggy animations and update the code since Bobcat does not support, fix bugs or provide updates for any of his mods.

You must not follow his threads...Bobcat has stated he is working on all new line of DEMVs and HOMEgen2.....

it shouldn't be too difficult to allow for a part to have a module which takes the part's own model in it's current animation state, it's current position and orientation, deletes the part, and adds a static object to the world; KerbTown would have to offer an interface for modules to do this, and the whole ship would likely be destroyed, but perhaps the module could place all of the parts as statics. Just saiyan, it should be entirely possible.

it shouldn't be too difficult to allow for a part to have a module which takes the part's own model in it's current animation state, it's current position and orientation, deletes the part, and adds a static object to the world; KerbTown would have to offer an interface for modules to do this, and the whole ship would likely be destroyed, but perhaps the module could place all of the parts as statics. Just saiyan, it should be entirely possible.

Also it would be fun to have permanent "wreckage" like the crashed Mun rocket on the loading screen.

You must not follow his threads...Bobcat has stated he is working on all new line of DEMVs and HOMEgen2.....

Sorry that came across as a lot more negative than I intended. I love the Bobcat mods and use several in my game.

I do follow his threads and I saw where he posted his plans for the future, but as far as I know there is no ETA on the release for those second generation modules nor any plans to update/patch any of the existing mods in the mean time.

I am not trying to rush him, he has a life and it will be done when he has time to do it. Until then we have to wait.

Back to this topic however, the HOME mods I was talking about in particular have some animation problems that would need to be fixed before they could be used as static structures like I was suggesting. For all I know turning them into static structure might actually FIX the animation problems.

I don't think so. These static structures do not use the same animation modules as parts do. KerbTown has its own modules. Razchek has included a really good tutorial .pdf with the plugin download. It would be possible to make something static that functions close to the same, but I think taking the actual HOME parts and getting them to work like that is not possible. Not with the plugin as is anyway.

How long is KSC runway?? I know this seems off topic, but its not, I promise =)

I don't think so. These static structures do not use the same animation modules as parts do. KerbTown has its own modules. Razchek has included a really good tutorial .pdf with the plugin download. It would be possible to make something static that functions close to the same, but I think taking the actual HOME parts and getting them to work like that is not possible. Not with the plugin as is anyway.

I do not know the answer to your question, but if you are looking for launch capability type mods to draw ideas form.

I recommend Extraplanetary Launchpads and Hooligan Labs (once updated to .21.1)

They do not use the same animation modules, that's true. But they both utilize animations! :)

The parts would need to be modified though - to add a switch/button.

Although the idea of converting a vessel into a static object is very straight forward. It could still be awkward.

For example: if I created a part that you attached to the part you wanted converted - it could do so and then remain attached as a button on the static object.

But then that button would only serve one generic purpose as I haven't implemented context menus.

The 'button' would be able to play only one animation.. Unless I added more native modules to cycle through them.

Is there anyone who would want this sort of feature?

--

Should I add a little house with KerbTown written on it somewhere at the main menu screen? :D

--

Well, 0.08 beta is now available.

In this release I've added support for module variables.

Supported variable types:

string, sbyte, short, int, long, byte, ushort, uint, ulong, float, double, decimal, char, bool, Vector2[d], Vector3[d], Vector4[d], Quaternion[D], Color[32], Enums

E.g.

MODULE
{
namespace = Reflective
name = StaticReflectiveShaderModule
// Previously, the next two lines would have been ignored. From this point on they are parsed as normal.
MeshesToChange = all
ShaderName = Reflective/Bumped Diffuse
}

--

I've also updated my ReflectiveShader Plugin mod and post so that people can use it with KerbTown if they want. :)

The source code and binaries for the ReflectiveShader Plugin is now public domain.

Although the idea of converting a vessel into a static object is very straight forward. It could still be awkward.

For example: if I created a part that you attached to the part you wanted converted - it could do so and then remain attached as a button on the static object.

But then that button would only serve one generic purpose as I haven't implemented context menus.

Is there anyone who would want this sort of feature?

Should I add a little house with KerbTown written on it somewhere at the main menu screen? :D

I was envisioning some sort of payload that would need to be dropped on site be it HOME-type module or whatever. Then you hit deploy and it folds out into your static cabin/habitat/powerplant/whatever. Someone was saying that the reason the HOME module animations are bugged is because of a limitation in Unity. Thread here

Basically what I am going for is needing to deliver the "structure" to the location via a courageous kerbal adventure.

Depending on how it is implemented it should not be too bothersome to have a "button" still attached to the structure somewhere-- by the way have you gotten it to work with KAS?

And yes, I would add a KerbTown structure to the main screen, but not a cabin- something more Munar.

Edited repeatedly because I am neurotic like that.

Edited by Smurfalot

I was envisioning some sort of payload that would need to be dropped on site be it HOME-type module or whatever. Then you hit deploy and it folds out into your static cabin/habitat/powerplant/whatever.

Basically what I am going for is needing to deliver the "structure" to the location via a courageous kerbal adventure.

I will start working on a part to do this in the near future then. :)

And yes, I would add a KerbTown structure to the main screen, but not a cabin- something more Munar.

Any suggestions? I can't think of anything off the top of my head right now.

Yeah a good example is the Admin Module from HOME--only the deployment of the tanks and ramp would be a 1 time thing (it already is because the animation is bugged)-- but using kerbtown it could start the animation as a part and then freeze into place as a structure when done.

I assume MODEL{} works in STATIC{}s, if so it'd be fairly trivial to add colliders onto existing models to act as buttons.

Unfortunately KerbTown does not parse MODEL {} nodes.

To be honest, I completely forgot they existed.

I had a quick look and this should be trivial to do. Added to the to-do list. :)

Btw Greys, I'll have a modification out hopefully in the next few days for Launch-Site Selections (KerbTown). I know you want this lol.

-

I thought about a Biodome.. It's a good idea.. maybe.

Did you have any other good ideas? :D

Edited by Razchek

I thought about a Biodome.. It's a good idea.. maybe.

Did you have any other good ideas? :D

I could totally picture Kerbals in a "structure" that resembles a inflatable bouncy castle.

Or for humorous effect (in keeping with my name) some sort of smurf-house shaped biodome inflatable bouncy thing would also be appropriate.

Edited by Smurfalot

Great ideas. :D

I will try with a standard biodome and see how that looks. :)

Also, good news for some:

Launch-site support for static objects is almost done. The code works, now it's time to fine tune end-user experience. :D

Watch the video below for an example of me changing the launch site to a cube nearby called "CubeSite".

Take note that I had launched a vessel off of it prior to filming, just to so you could see it acts like a normal launch site and clears the launch area. :wink:

Edited by Razchek

Launch-site support for static objects is almost done. The code works, now it's time to fine tune end-user experience. :D

Watch the video below for an example of me changing the launch site to a cube nearby called "CubeSite".

Take note that I had launched a vessel off of it prior to filming, just to so you could see it acts like a normal launch site and clears the launch area. :wink:

That was magical. I really enjoy everything you have done for the game.

This mod just gets better and better. Seriously, well done. The great thing about it is that all of the features are natural extensions of the existing game using the capabilities of the engine, unlike other mods that try to shoehorn realism or other goals into the game whilst having to fight the engine or the interface at every point (I am very guilty of that). You could almost say you are just "revealing" more aspects of the game, though I know a lot more work goes into it than that may seem to imply.

Now I want a runway to launch from on Laythe... *runs off to search for a good site*

Heh, we gonna be able to launch from KerbTown before we can from EPLP mod =) Thats so awesome!!! cant wait to build new launchplatform!

And no one knows the KSC runway dimensions? really?? Ohh this is gonna a pain in the tail to get right then...

Heh, we gonna be able to launch from KerbTown before we can from EPLP mod =) Thats so awesome!!! cant wait to build new launchplatform!

And no one knows the KSC runway dimensions? really?? Ohh this is gonna a pain in the tail to get right then...

Measure it by landing probes at 3 corners of the runway in an L formation, then looking at the distance that shows up on the screen for each one whilst the middle one (the one on the L's corner) is the active vessel.

Edit: What was I thinking - use rovers!

Edited by ZRM

@sirkut

Thank you, that's motivation for me right there. :)

@KhaosCorp

I think I may be able to suggest a way for it to work with EPLP but.. we'll see ... :wink:

@ZRM

Hah! Your measurement idea is very creative! Good job!! And thank you for the kind words. :) It feels more rewarding when playing KSP for me if the mods I make also feel like a part of the game.

I do admit though, the GUI for KerbTown does not feel natural - that will be something to change in the near future.

Measure it by landing probes at 3 corners of the runway in an L formation, then looking at the distance that shows up on the screen for each one whilst the middle one (the one on the L's corner) is the active vessel.

Edit: What was I thinking - use rovers!

Haha

And here I was about to try and construct a massive yardstick...this is a much better idea. Its not stupid or out of proportion at all =)

How did I get global messuring tape before I got rover...