[WIP] KerbTown v0.13 Beta - Place static buildings, cities, launch sites & more!

Razchek

I've done some testing and I can get resources and KAS playing nicely with these objects but not fool proof. .

Also I've just finished fixing those bugs, need to test other celestial bodies one more time and then I'll push the update through.

It's time consuming because I have to fly to the other celestial bodies to test this, as loading the scene straight away has always worked fine. Otherwise the update would've been published a few hours ago haha

Edited by Razchek

I've done some testing and I can get resources and KAS playing nicely with these objects but not fool proof. .

Also I've just finished fixing those bugs, need to test other celestial bodies one more time and then I'll push the update through.

It's time consuming because I have to fly to the other celestial bodies to test this, as loading the scene straight away has always worked fine. Otherwise the update would've been published a few hours ago haha

How about just load a ship there, and then place statics?

Edit: occured to me since posting you were probably doing this already, lol.

Edited by Cheebsta

If it's possible to include resource modules on a static, is it maybe possible to include other modules like say the one used to make a part into an EPL spawn platform?

How about just load a ship there, and then place statics?

Edit: occured to me since posting you were probably doing this already, lol.

Yeah that always worked - it was when flying from body to body where it would cause issues.

If it's possible to include resource modules on a static, is it maybe possible to include other modules like say the one used to make a part into an EPL spawn platform?

Modules will be supported in a further update, whether they will work or not depends on how they function.

--

Update (V0.2)

Currently known bugs:
- Mesh Colliders will reactivate as soon as a static object is translated to another position.
-- Temporary work around: Create the instance of your object and then type into the "R Offset" field an altitude a bit higher than your current vessel altitude and click "Update ^" then reposition as per normal.

- Flying to another body doesn't update the ActiveVessel 'World Position' which prevents correct initial positioning of a created static object.
-- Temporary work around: Leave the flight scene (to Space Center for example) then reload your ship before creating instances of objects.

Bug fixes:
- Removed instances of static objects will now save correctly.
- Now reads all available assets regardless of whether the first is instanced.
- All static objects are now automatically set to the 'terrain' layer.
- Text fields will no longer update the position or calculate the typed value until either the update button or another translation button is pressed.

Misc:
- Added Body Name status label to the information window.

EDIT: If you want to have your name on a special object that will ship with KerbTown (from stable release onwards) please read the first post again. :)

Edited by Razchek

Models sent Raz!

Does anybody know exactly how tall a kerbal is? Im trying to come up with a default 'story' size for building to be properly scaled, and I realize I have no clue how tall the green dudes are.

I'm guessing since the EL pad functions with the same bit of code as the static pad at KSC that once Raz gets part modules working on these objects it should work no problem. Heh, though it will be a pain to place anything modled for that...it will spawn well under the ground.....sounds like fun =P

One thing I REALLY hope can be made to work is contextual menus on right click and animation control(like you get in a ship), it would add soooooo many cool possibility for bases and industrial installations.

Have an idea to create parts based 'pods' to use with building to increase functionality, but gonna wait till module implementation is done to see if its even needed.

Models sent Raz!

Does anybody know exactly how tall a kerbal is? Im trying to come up with a default 'story' size for building to be properly scaled, and I realize I have no clue how tall the green dudes are.

1 unit or 1 meter in blender. I think the helmet adds a bit of height as well. Make doorways 1.5m to be safe. :P

I'm guessing since the EL pad functions with the same bit of code as the static pad at KSC that once Raz gets part modules working on these objects it should work no problem.

One thing I REALLY hope can be made to work is contextual menus on right click and animation control(like you get in a ship), it would add soooooo many cool possibility for bases and industrial installations.

Have an idea to create parts based 'pods' to use with building to increase functionality, but gonna wait till module implementation is done to see if its even needed.

Module/Component support will be added first, then I will probably write a context menu template plugin that other modders can use to add context menus to their buildings.

I will provide default examples (toggle animations, play sounds) and then let it go from there.

I'll be working on fixing (or at least evaluating the situation of) those two known bugs tomorrow. For now I'm doing some modelling and scene design for the beloved Easter Eggs.. It's fun! :D

I will do some more testing on the module and resource code tomorrow after the known bugs are evaluated. I won't start on mouse-placement code until the celestial body positioning bug is fixed.

Please let me know of any other bugs that are found so I can fix them. :sticktongue:

Has anyone had issues placing items around 140meters long? Was trying to test a dock and it wont spawn inworld. It shows in 'existing items' window but it can not be seen. I got the same dock at 75meters to show up. Both configs look the same (different names of course). Wanted to see if anyone had dropped something as big as that, or had the same problem, before I run it through unity again.

Has anyone had issues placing items around 140meters long? Was trying to test a dock and it wont spawn inworld. It shows in 'existing items' window but it can not be seen. I got the same dock at 75meters to show up. Both configs look the same (different names of course). Wanted to see if anyone had dropped something as big as that, or had the same problem, before I run it through unity again.

Move it 140m and see if you're just standing inside it. You won't see the mesh from there because the faces only get rendered on one side.

Texture is a whopping 4 colors here, and mesh needs to be bigger maybe, but I can stand, drive on it, and it's taking a bit of shape. Lights shine on it and it receives shadows. Man do those little spotlights have some range to them. I had to drive 160m away to get it to stop washing everything out bright white...

This building is to serve as the "corporate command center" for my company, should I ever actually release any parts, lol.

Front: (Rover body also one I made)

screenshot41_zpsc4367083.png

Back:

screenshot43_zps6d2fcc7d.png

More than anything else, I want to distribute usable runways around Kerbin. How difficult would that be?

j6vLbqB.png

Needs texturing, and currently you cannot spawn a ship directly from it, but hopefully that will be available soon.

Edit:

6RJ5KBG.jpg

Starting to look like a runway! Though it's got this weird pattern on it that I'm pretty sure is from the shadows, my texture is much less complicated than the regular runway so it shouldn't have any weird aliasing problems; I'll have to try different shaders and whatnot.

Edited by Greys

6RJ5KBG.jpg

Starting to look like a runway! Though it's got this weird pattern on it that I'm pretty sure is from the shadows, my texture is much less complicated than the regular runway so it shouldn't have any weird aliasing problems; I'll have to try different shaders and whatnot.

Looks awesome :P

I like the little less sloped part at the start of it, making it easier for rovers/other stuff to get off easier :)

Brilliant plugin. Its about time modders had the tools to make Kerbin not feel like a dead world anymore.

Says the man who has already given us giant runways in the past! :D

Seriously, your big runways would seem to be nearly ready to go for this project. Maybe just add a few sloped ramps to drive on and off.

Edit: Whoops, I was thinking of Hooligan Labs. Sorry about that. Don't worry, I use your spaceplane mods too! <3

Edited by White Owl

I've had to drop resources temporarily while I find another route for adding them into this plugin while maintaining "natural" KSP behavior.

For this update, I have added module support and fixed a couple of minor bugs.

Here is a video of the beta Easter Egg (for proof of concept only, this will be removed in the stable release which will have some much nicer Easter Eggs ;)

It is at the north pole of the Mun for those who want to visit it, I won't post the lat/long as that's a part of the fun of finding it haha.

Notes on this release (first post will be updated shortly):

The two known bugs remain. I have found a work-around for the collision bug, which I will push into the next update.

However travelling to another planet still requires you to return to the tracking station and then back to the flight to place objects on the recently entered celestial body.

This is a critical bug and will be addressed before stable release. I can't guarantee when it will be fixed until then.

On a happier note:

I am loving seeing what people are coming up with. Please, keep 'em coming!! :D