[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

Fix them how? They're in the download and should be working (I can't recall renaming any folders or converting any tanks to MU files)

The orange tanks are in the "Ares" folder and the originals are in "Saturn" if you need to revert (both inside the ExtraTankSkins folder in the zip file)

Just open Ares, select all the folders, and copy them into the Parts folder to overwrite the original texture files.

Sorry,i has don't know they are reverted.

OK, I think the largest SRB in the pack is a BEAST: It hoisted a fully-loaded Praetorian (DEMV MkII) on a trajectory to 300 km. I was at 140 km at burnout.

Further proof: I put the stock 1-man pod, a NovaPunch ASAS, a stock SAS, and two Sunbeams on top, and eight fins at the bottom, and let it fly straight up. Burnout was just below escape velocity.

I love it!

Four of the largest 1.75m boosters (and nothing else) will get a command module in a very close orbit of the sun, ~375,000km or so.

One large booster and 6-8 of the really long, 70 second burners is my typical launch stage nowadays.

Love the power of these SRBs.

I don't know whether this a bug or a feature or i'm doing something wrong but i am having problems with chute deployment. any solutions/reasons

What is the problem? Chutes not deploying? Check your staging, and if you have that heat shield mod/plugin, don't activate the chutes till speed is roughly around 300 to 200 m/s.

Are your chutes deploying, then falling off? Make sure they don't have to support too much (just the command pod will do).

Otherwise, please inform us :D

I am guessing it was on a planet other than Kerbin?

That is a known issue with NP and 0.17, the stock parachutes have a new config parameter that determines what the minimum air pressure is for deployment - the default is so high that they won't work on planets with less atmospheric pressure than Kerbin.

Its fixed here for the next version. If you want to try to fix it for your local version, you just need to add this line to the part.cfg for the parachute in question:

minAirPressureToOpen = 0.01

I see. Can you post a screenshot of your rocket in the VAB or on the pad, so I can see how its set up?

F1 takes a screenshot, puts it in the screenshots folder in your KSP install, then you can upload the file to imgur.com or something.

@ Tiberion

I was doing some testing with the NP chutes (well, more trouble shooting with extreme prejudice out of boredom) , checking to see the effects of adding/removing the "minAirPressureToOpen" line to the stock and NP chutes, and using MecJeb for altitude info.

After a lot of testing, I noticed the NP radial and nosecone chutes were not working right.

According to MechJeb details, I noticed they were opening at 500m (ASL) not 500m (True). That spells trouble if the ground is close to or above 500m high itself.

The NP stack chutes were opening normally, like the stock chutes, at 500m (True).

I don't know how I missed it at first when editing config files to add/remove "minAirPressureToOpen" during my testing, or when I first noticed the NP chutes lacked that line, but the key is both radial and nosecone chutes are missing the parachute parameter "useAGL = True" used by the stock and NP stack chutes. I guess AGL means Above Ground Level.

Adding that line to the radial and nosecone chute config files causes them to open normally like the other chutes, at 500m above the ground, not 500m above sea level.

I don't know if it matters or not, but both the NP radial and nosecone chute are also missing the standard part parameter "stageOffset = -1"

Also of note that I noticed. (no clue if it matters or not).

The module names.

NP chutes: module = Parachutes

Stock chutes: module = HParachutes

Side Note 1: During testing, it looked as if the 2m stack chute looked almost 'invisible' when first deployed, until I zoomed in and saw that it appears to be super thin at first, barely thicker than the parachute lines of other chutes. It looks normal once fully opened.

Side Note 2: I am curious if the "fullyDeployedDrag" for the NP chutes might need to be increased. As it stands, the stock chutes are sitting at 500 now, making the NP chutes seem a bit less effective in comparison. Maybe also make the 2m stack chute have a parachute on par with the stock 2m chute in terms of open parachute size.

Edited by rditto48801
Trimmed and streamlined post a little.

So after doing some rocket launches, I find the 5m fuel and matriarch combo to not be as pleasant as going with a 3m counterpart. I'm using the bigger of the 3m engines (forget it's name for the moment, but not the little mother) and 2 3m fuel tanks with four or 8 of the 1000 thrust SRB's for extra boost. Using 8 of the srbs means mechjeb will throttle down the 3m engine all the way until booster separation time, saving me gas <3

I even went as far as boosting the thrust on the Matriarch to 5000 from it's 3000. I'll have to do another trial to see when my first stages burnout to see if the matriarch 5000 is indeed better. What I do know is that the Matriarch with 1 5m fuel tank burns almost twice as long as the largest 3m engine with a 3m fuel tank. Had to turn down the heat from the matriarch to do that test. Was simply a strap the rockets to the ground test.

Also, did some research, and the Saturn V S-IVC and S-II stages (stage 1 and 2) are 10 meters. Will we get to that? xD I think there's a mod that takes the VAB height limitation away, and the VAB as well so you can build as tall as you like, but then of course, stability becomes a problem. Heavy struts ftw? x3

I've seen the parachutes/HParachutes thing in other mods before. All changing from parachutes to HParachutes seemed to do was make the chute upside down and rip off less. (I ended up giving it a negative rescale factor and it worked perfectly)

Also, I never knew what useAGL was before, so thanks rditto.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.