Previously assigned Kerbals not showing up

So I used my old save file for .21, and everything was fine and dandy... except for one thing.

Only a few kerbals, the ones that were in my space station, where showing up in the 'assigned' tab of the astronaut complex building.

which is annoying because I'd like to know where all my kerbal are... at all times >:]

is there any know way have the rest of my kerbals show up as assigned?

I'm having a similar issue, where kerbals that are on my station in the Hitchhiker modules aren't showing up - only the ones in the command modules (the cupola and the lander can).

I wonder - I haven't tried it yet - if EVA-ing them and then reboarding would make them show up, or if I'd have to transfer them into the command modules of their lifeboats.

I'm having a similar issue, where kerbals that are on my station in the Hitchhiker modules aren't showing up - only the ones in the command modules (the cupola and the lander can).

I wonder - I haven't tried it yet - if EVA-ing them and then reboarding would make them show up, or if I'd have to transfer them into the command modules of their lifeboats.

I Haven't tried switching kerbals from the hitchhiker module to the command ones... I'll go try it.

I tried that, but it didn't work.

And the other method, taking kerbals out of the hitchhikers module and putting them in the command module, did work either :/

Even worse, When I launched a new ship with kerbals in a hitchhikers module and command module, it didn't show up in the assigned tab either.

what bit about "safe file incompatibility" don't you understand?

They threw in a conversion tool to help a bit, but did mention it wouldn't be perfect.

That said, I always used to have problems with Kerbals that were assigned to missions not always getting flagged that Way. I'd have Bill up on my station, and go to launch the next part of it...and he shows up in the pod on the lifter! Cancel the flight, go out the tracking station and switch the station, yep, he's on the station. Restart the flight, he's in the lifter, again.

I flew him up a second time in this situation once and things got a little odd until I EVA'd him to the part he was in from the prior launch.

At any rate, I'd say a reasonable possibility is that the kerbals in question weren't properly flagged as assigned in the first place, and the update's conversion process 'fixed' it, removing the phantom assignment entirely in the process.

what bit about "safe file incompatibility" don't you understand?

Well, I assumed that that would be the cause of the problem... but I was hoping for a way to fix it.

And that doesn't really explain why new kerbals I launch don't show up on the assignment screen

Did any of you try the "Recover" button in the Tracking station? Thats how you get kerbals back.

Its really a matter about having kerbals already out there recognized.

here are a few things you could check on the save file:

save file: persistent.sfs it's a text file, so open with your trusty text editor.

Do a search for Kerman, as it's the name of all kerbal. if you don't find any, that mean you have a problem. they are usualy at the end under the node ROSTER{ CRE {} }, you could copy/paste from your old file to the new one without problem I guess.

if their state is at 1 then it mean they are assigned. state at 0 mean they are available.

also look on the save file for crew= if you don't find any then you have no kerbal assigned to the part of the ship.

You oculd manualy assign them, but it would take lot of time.

other option: use a merging text editor to merge the save so you get the crew back.

For the crew not showing on vessel you launch. I guess you will have to check the log either alt+F2 in-game or KSP.log. it may could tell you what is missing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.