[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I'm going to install and check these out now.

You will not see anything special. Just some reds. Also game didn't think it's actually too hot - it's glow to somewhere near half of possible intensivity at full throttle.

zzz, in the VAB your thermal nozzle appears upside down, and is still placeable. You might want to reverse it before people start crying your model is broken.

Erm. yeah - but you can turn it, not big deal, engine itself is working - main thing is direction of thrust transform, not how it's appears in VAB. Every engine is placeable upside down and you can to rotate things in VAB. Why someone can to think it's broken? Well ok, I will try to turn it. Thanks for some critique feedback:)

--

This must be in correct direction

http://www./?v06h5r7a37y2gss

Edited by zzz

Stage 1 of the update will affect only these parts and initially there will be no negative consequences to not dissipating heat anyway. I'm adding the heat generation mechanics so that players can see how the system works and adapt their creations before I later introduce negative side effects.

When consequences are added it will likely be that purely stock ships will also need to dissipate heat but nothing is finalised yet. On the plus side, because stock power generation methods generate orders of magnitude less power than the stuff in this mod, one small radiator should always be enough for those.

@Fractal

Ok, I am having an issue and I think it may be with your plugin, I am trying to generate anti matter with kethane, and the anti matter is not generating. Do you have it hard coded that anti matter can only be generated by certain devices? such as the collector and sci lab??

EDIT: looking through your parts it looks like the plugin does all the resource generating, making third party modification difficult.

-Æ

Edited by agentexeider

@Fractal

Ok, I am having an issue and I think it may be with your plugin, I am trying to generate anti matter with kethane, and the anti matter is not generating. Do you have it hard coded that anti matter can only be generated by certain devices? such as the collector and sci lab??

EDIT: looking through your parts it looks like the plugin does all the resource generating, making third party modification difficult.

-Æ

It should work if you copy a KethaneConverter MODULE{ } block in the 1m and 2m Converter part.cfg files. In the input block you need Kethane and Antimatter in the output block.

Using third party stuff to generate antimatter should not be a problem but under no circumstances should you attempt to generate ThermalPower, Megajoules or WasteHeat with something else. These resources have to be actively managed by the mod in order for the other parts to properly determine all the resource rates per second.

Heyas Fractal_UK, :)

First off would like to say that this mod is fantastic, for me it really puts a fine polish onto the amazing work done by Squad so far :) I've been lurking in the thread here grabbing bit and pieces as they become available hehe . But I seem to have a bit of a problem a few pages back zzz displayed the newest version of the microwave power system parts OMG!! his work combined with yours should garner both of you places in Squad Dev team! Umm..oh sorry back to the problem, I downloaded the new parts and put them into the mod. The load fine and look great but I can't seem to get them to function. I'm assuming that it's due to you (fractal uk) not implementing the code for them to function yet. Is there someway that either I can reconfigure them in the .cfg or they can be patched into the mod?

If your already in the process of doing this I will wait quietly for the new release. Thanks for all of your hard work as well as zzz's .

It should work if you copy a KethaneConverter MODULE{ } block in the 1m and 2m Converter part.cfg files. In the input block you need Kethane and Antimatter in the output block.

Using third party stuff to generate antimatter should not be a problem but under no circumstances should you attempt to generate ThermalPower, Megajoules or WasteHeat with something else. These resources have to be actively managed by the mod in order for the other parts to properly determine all the resource rates per second.

That is exactly what I did, and added Antimatter, it creates a button to push, which toggles on, however the tank doesn't fill and no Kethane is being converted.

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
HeatProduction = 300
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2
ElectricCharge = 8
}
OutputRatios
{
Antimatter = 0.20
}
}

@zzz

It was not a problem to switch it correct way down. But your model looks a bit different than standard nozzle, so some er...less attentive people might accidentally place it as it was, and later needlessly complain. Better squash this issue early on. Second thing: i have a ship with modified (modern?) nozzle in orbit, and i can't switch between propellants. It uses only LFO O.o. First iteration of this ship was supposed to use liquid fuel only, and simply did not work at all. Bug? Or did i made a derp somewhere? I did not had this problem with small nozzle.

It uses only LFO O.o

I didn't change anything in cfg apart from the necessary names. To be honest, I don't even know how it must to work. Its appears in VAB, shroud is decoupled with decoupler, and it generate thrust and FX in right direction - for me it was looks like all is correct. Maybe Fractal is know what I mess up there

I'm assuming that it's due to you (fractal uk) not implementing the code for them to function yet. Is there someway that either I can reconfigure them in the .cfg or they can be patched into the mod?

If you about microwave thing, then yes - it's not work - I changed microwave receiver module to pure animation for quick testing. Receiver module is still here by comment but I'm not sure is it's work or not.

Edited by zzz

That is exactly what I did, and added Antimatter, it creates a button to push, which toggles on, however the tank doesn't fill and no Kethane is being converted.

Is the antimatter tank in the same stack as the kethane converter? Antimatter is one of those resources that needs stacks to pass through, crossfeed capable components or fuel lines. That's the only other thing I can think of.

Is the antimatter tank in the same stack as the kethane converter? Antimatter is one of those resources that needs stacks to pass through, crossfeed capable components or fuel lines. That's the only other thing I can think of.

the tank is directly connected to the converter in the stack, no go, then I added fuel lines, still no go.

-Æ

tvEKGGe.png

Edited by agentexeider

@agentexeider

i tried the same thing, but i could not get it to convert kethane to antimatter. as i am not super familiar with writing .cfgs i thought it was my fault. anyway, would you share your .cfg for the converter if you get it to work?

@agentexeider

i tried the same thing, but i could not get it to convert kethane to antimatter. as i am not super familiar with writing .cfgs i thought it was my fault. anyway, would you share your .cfg for the converter if you get it to work?

it has to do with the warp plugin because it works with Impossible Innovations mod in making Deuterium. I'm going to get Majiir to look at the source code of the warp plugin when I can and maybe he can use his code wizardry to tell Fractal how to fix it.

Hello all I am getting used to the new version now and updating my existing vehicles for it. The new engine is nice, and so is the upgraded turbojet. I am having a couple of problems though.

1. I cannot get any usable thrust from the plasma thruster now. I have tried different part orders, simplification, and all 3 antimatter reactors and generators. The thrust now is usually 0 to .4.

2. The warp drive models are physically pretty large now, even the smallest one. When designing a large ship with stock parts to enclose them, it takes a lot of extra parts. Fighter type ships with a warp drive, like an X-wing, are impossible now.

Hello all I am getting used to the new version now and updating my existing vehicles for it. The new engine is nice, and so is the upgraded turbojet. I am having a couple of problems though.

1. I cannot get any usable thrust from the plasma thruster now. I have tried different part orders, simplification, and all 3 antimatter reactors and generators. The thrust now is usually 0 to .4.

2. The warp drive models are physically pretty large now, even the smallest one. When designing a large ship with stock parts to enclose them, it takes a lot of extra parts. Fighter type ships with a warp drive, like an X-wing, are impossible now.

The ring is supposed to be the outer edge of your ship, it's meant to BE large, however if you want to add warp drive capability to ANY module add this code to the part cfg in question.

-Æ

RESOURCE
{
name = ExoticMatter
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2000
}

MODULE
{
name = AlcubierreDrive
upgradedName = Advanced Field Geometry
originalName = Standard Field Geometry
upgradeCost = 90
}

Has anyone else had success in getting the IoncrossCrewSupport plugin to work with the Science Module?

The following code seems to work except it doesn't add the resources to the Science Module.

ModuleManager_Warp_Plugin.cfg

@PART[scienceModule]
{
MODULE
{
name = IonModuleCrewSupport
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 200
maxAmount = 200
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 20
}
}

Hey, I just got back into KSP and saw this mod, and I really like some of the stuff I see, but there are so many questions I have and would like to know the answers to, are there any tutorials on this mod out there, or is this thread about it? Also, is it possible to change Electric Charge to MJ or is one MJ just 1000 EC?

I didn't change anything in cfg apart from the necessary names. To be honest, I don't even know how it must to work. Its appears in VAB, shroud is decoupled with decoupler, and it generate thrust and FX in right direction - for me it was looks like all is correct. Maybe Fractal is know what I mess up there

If you about microwave thing, then yes - it's not work - I changed microwave receiver module to pure animation for quick testing. Receiver module is still here by comment but I'm not sure is it's work or not.

http://imgur.com/a/IX89r

It has a conflict with the existing animation code, the dll had to be patched and the cfg files updated.

I will be sending fractal a pull request soon for my code updates (microwave relays, and non-solar [nuclear/brayton] generator compatibility) but I want to tinker with this more, I spent last night and part of this morning ironing out some of the bugs with the latest revisions I made to the relay/generator code. I'd like to add a slight benefit for using the larger receiver array and make it's use optional, using the 'transmitter' model zzz submitted as a receiver will function much the same as current receiver but the large array will give you reduced range/atmospheric losses.

@Fractal_UK if you can get in touch with me on IRC in ~6 || >6 hours from now I'd like to chat about these modifications and how to go about merging them, I'm going to take a much needed nap until then :)

Edited by Conti

Conti ,

Thanks for the heads up on the microwave .cfg stuffs :) I did get the larger new receiver to work on my own (woot) but since I am very very unskilled in the arts of mods and plug in programing I will be very happy to quietly await your finishing touchs...btw I would like to thank you for your work as well , I am sorry that I didn't catch that you were working on this as well. This mod is mesmerizing to me :)

I will be using this mod among other in the project I have posted in the Mission Reports section of the forum under the name KinderStation.. Sorry but I actually don't quite understand how to put the link in here (blush).

I don't know exactly, you took out the NozzleController code, which is why it would only function with LFO for Scotius. It's not a problem though, I just replaced the animation names and node attach points in the existing .cfg and it works fine now so nothing to worry about.

VobUtOz.png

This is due to a bug with determining the maximum electrical output that can be produced by the generator when the power draw varies. I half-fixed the problem in the last update but it remains under some circumstances and the plasma thruster is badly affected by it. To be honest, it was a mistake to stick with the stock resource system for the plasma thruster, the thermal rocket functions beautifully in comparison.

I've got it working much better now but still have a bit of bug fixing to finish: the parts aren't broken anymore but the resource manager isn't properly handling multiple generators yet, which means they use more fuel than they should.

The smaller modules were introduced much later than the warp model itself so you should have more options for building smaller ships in the newer updates. The smallest model should be a little smaller than the old generic one. For winged ships I'd either put the warp drive on the front or tow them at warp.

you took out the NozzleController code,

Oh, I see now. I don't remember why and how I did this.

But I see you didn't add AnimateHeat module with ThermalAnim = h2 in your fix

I have in the part.cfg file:

Then why it's so dark then. For me it was red when throttled. Well, no matter. Ok then.

Edited by zzz

Sorry for reposting this, but I seem to have gotten overlooked on the last page, Can anyone help me out?

Hey, I just got back into KSP and saw this mod, and I really like some of the stuff I see, but there are so many questions I have and would like to know the answers to, are there any tutorials on this mod out there, or is this thread about it? Also, is it possible to change Electric Charge to MJ or is one MJ just 1000 EC?