[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

You'll have to be more specific about your issue if I am to investigate it. "nothing will produce megajoules" leads me to believe user error. No offense. Bonus points if you post a log of the errors, preferably with no other addons installed.

Yeah, sorry. I was in a hurry to get to bed at that point. No offense taken; I see how often you get those "OMG, my reaktorz not making lectricity! plz fix now! What you meen you need genrator?"

But no, this is my second playthrough KSPi. On the first I had a massive power network setup and I used it all the time. At first I thought it was user error too; that I had just forgotten something. But there is nothing that I can do right now to produce any MJ through reactors.

Reactor, check

Gennie, check

Radiator, check

control unit, check

extra batteries just in case, check

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Output log.txt

Your recompile DID seem to fix the collapsing issue, at least, I haven't run into it again since updating to your version.

I do have some other mods installed but I don't really have the space to make a fresh install right now.

I've tried out your experimental build and it seems to have fixed the problems .24.1 caused with the engines. However I'm having the same issue with reactors not working as the posters above. When I right click on fission reactors it lists them as "UF4 deprived". This happens both for existing reactors which were working fine before .24.1 and for new reactors (starting with full complements of fuel)

You'll have to be more specific about your issue if I am to investigate it. "nothing will produce megajoules" leads me to believe user error. No offense. Bonus points if you post a log of the errors, preferably with no other addons installed.

I know what the problem is people are only replacing the warpplugin file which in all fairness the main page does say to only replace the warpplugin file. Obviously that is for the official release but I assume people are just following it because no other instruction was given.

Edited by etheoma
Tested hypothesis

I know what the problem is people are only replacing the warpplugin file which in all fairness the main page does say to only replace the warpplugin file. Obviously that is for the official release but I assume people are just following it because no other instruction was given.

I replaced all of the folders except toolbar and the MM file.

I've tried out your experimental build and it seems to have fixed the problems .24.1 caused with the engines. However I'm having the same issue with reactors not working as the posters above. When I right click on fission reactors it lists them as "UF4 deprived". This happens both for existing reactors which were working fine before .24.1 and for new reactors (starting with full complements of fuel)

Same here. The reactors continually say they are UF4 deprived when you can clearly see they aren't. But I suppose it's better than the entire ship blowing up at 6000m... Does this happen with anybody else?

I have a philosophy question...

On the wiki it says reactors must be directly connected to generators. Got it. And that is the way it worked in 0.23.5. My question is why do we need separate parts for both reactors and generators? I find it hard to come up with a reason why you would only want one or the other as the parts won't work if the are used separately. I cannot use a generator with solar panels as the two generate/use different resources(as I understand it). Infact the only reason I can think of not having a generator is if I go thermal rocket... but if I were to do that I would use beamed power instead. Finnally, as I understand it, if you mix sizes for generators and reactors there is also a penalty. If one does go this route I could see an addon part for direct conversion as that only pertains to fusion reactors.

TL:DR

Why are generators and reactors separate parts? Doesn't make sense.

-snip

This question has been raised sever times and Fractal_UK addressed it not long ago. I can't say that I disagree with him. Just do a search on this thread for his name and you should get your answer.

@WaveFuncionP There are some issues with the experimental build of yours. I'm not sure if this is due to an incompatibility with other mods of mine which have worked fine in the past, so I will eventually test them.

1) WasteHeat doesn't build up, or dissipate.

2) It also doesn't shut off any reactos automatically.

3) Even when I use HyperEdit to max out my megajoules, the plasma engine says that it is megajoule-deprived and won't work.

I think this is all part of an underlying issue with resource flow. The resources are there, but the changes in .24.1 made it so that interstellar's old way of using them doesn't work anymore. I'm not very familiar with the game engine so I can't help much with programming, but I'll be happy to help report bugs as I see them until Fractal_UK decides to release the official patch.

WaveFunction needs to do yet another recompile today... .24.2 just released and yet again KSP hangs on WarpPlugin/sci/Space...

Edit: Ok, so Opting into the "previous stable build" in Steam causes the hang to disappear... yet it still states KSP is running .24.2... unsure what is going on here.

Edited by KolourBlynD

I have a philosophy question...

On the wiki it says reactors must be directly connected to generators. Got it. And that is the way it worked in 0.23.5. My question is why do we need separate parts for both reactors and generators? I find it hard to come up with a reason why you would only want one or the other as the parts won't work if the are used separately. I cannot use a generator with solar panels as the two generate/use different resources(as I understand it). Infact the only reason I can think of not having a generator is if I go thermal rocket... but if I were to do that I would use beamed power instead. Finnally, as I understand it, if you mix sizes for generators and reactors there is also a penalty. If one does go this route I could see an addon part for direct conversion as that only pertains to fusion reactors.

TL:DR

Hiya krillin!

As it's been already mentioned, there's a post somewhere that describes why. But I see it as a gameplay decision to have some degree of customization and optimisation, you know, trying to replicate real-world setups. I agree in that I don't ever use mismatched reactors and generator sizes, although I have experimented with huge reactors and small generators for min/maxing fun. Also keep in mind you can use a generator with a thermal receiver to generate power, or just use the reactors for drive systems without the added weight of a generator.

This works well when I try and build my VTOL capable Halo-style dropships. I use one gen/rctr combo for power, and 4-6 reactors alone for thrust, with the pwr requirements handled by the first setup. (I kinda wish the smaller reactors were able to be connected radially, or had an overdrive/overheat mode so I could use smaller ones for rapid TOAL, but for the same reasons above, part of the fun is the challenge to make the lego blocks fit!!)

Edited by Threadsinger

Still working to resolve issues with the current build.

No eta.

Cool beans; Reverting the Steam install didn't seem to break the loading process, but now KSP locks up and doesn't allow the player to access certain buildings and such, as well as fails completely to fix right-clicking, so I'll be waiting patiently for mod updates... again.

Edit: Sooo... I did another .24.2 patching, which now loads and works correctly.... I'm unsure what is or isn't an issue with this update, so I think mod devs might still need to look into the compatibility of their mods, unfortunately.

Edited by KolourBlynD

I just installed 24.2, and despite it obviously only fixes the right clicking problem, booting up Interstellar to see if anything's changed with your fix, wave.

Unfortunately, despite the parts not falling through anymore, i, like the others here am sad to report that the reactors are still off-line, even when fuelled. I also made sure to replace -all- the KSPI files, and not just the warp folder.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it and good luck with a fix. The effort you put in is really appreciated!

Thanks Threadsinger for responding, and I love legos which is part of the appeal for me while playing ksp

I guess in my opinion, I would have made both reactors and generators one part. Just an opinion.

WaveFunctionP, thanks for all of your hard work man. I love to see this mod kept alive.

WaveFunctionP,

Just got home and tried out the latest build and I can confirm that reactors and generators work on 32bit... dunno if that gives you a clue into the mess of things but I felt that would be some good info to share if you didn't know it already.

word

Edit: found that there is no waste heat being produced though... found that odd. Gonna check the cfgs and see if that is turned off... think I read that you could do that somewhere.

Edit edit: can confirm that my warppluginsettings.cfg have the line thermalmechanicsdisabled = false... so this is a bug but not a major one cause no I don't have to worry about waste heat. ;)

Edit again...: found that waste heat is being produced but not at a significant scale. Almost immediately goes away.

Edited by krillin678
update info

It does for the existing plasma thrusters. Which are the only way to get decent ISP on beamed power. Well, unless you use quantum vacuum thrusters, but those are actually just magic.

I did a face-palm reading this. Did you actually read anything I wrote before? I'm talking about use of beamed power for Thermal Rocketry- which is perfectly "decent" in terms of ISP (better than chemical rockets). Apparently you've grown accustomed/spoiled from using some of the more OP'd features of KSP-Interstellar. My whole entire point was that those features should be expensive, but earlier technologies like Microwave Beamed Power Thermal Rocketry, in particular, should NOT cost tens or hundreds of thousands of Funds just for the parts on the actual rockets (as opposed to the reactors and transmission-facilities, which SHOULD be expensive...)

Regards,

Northstar

There are a lot of "quality of life" issues fixed - much better tooltips, automatic throttling of received power to keep from incinerating little probes, a few bug fixes, etc. He's also balancing (increasing) part costs now that 0.24 is out and the costs suddenly matter.

I believe you mean *breaking* the mod with incredibly excessive and over-inflated part costs (25,000 Funds for a simple, dumb, low-temperature, no-magnet metal exhaust cone on a 1.25 meter beamed-power thermal rocket).

Did you read any of the discussion I had earlier about the current costs for Microwave Beamed Power Thermal Rocketry (which should actually be CHEAPER than chemical rockets in terms of the parts you actually launch for balance- as the whole point of Microwave Beamed Power is to leave the heavy/expensive parts behind- and to correspond to reality- at the cost of incredibly expensive reactors and transmitters that actually generate the power- which I assume most players will run from the ground now that 0.24 makes launches so expensive...)

Regards,

Northstar

experimental build should be working for v0.24.2

Since I haven't done so in a while, here is a list of updates versus the official version by fractal.

Version Experimental -  for ksp v0.24.2
- Fixed data collection on magnetometer.
- Added more details to generator, reactor and radiator modules.
- Added atmospheric intake functionality to atmospheric scoops.
- Charging is now disabled by default on the alcubierre drives.
- Added 1000 EC to computer core, and increased torque to 5/5/5.
- Added a more detailed tooltip description for the computer core.
- Added details about power transmission to array and reciever to tooltip descriptions.
- Added details about generator attachment and modes to tooltip descriptions.
- Added detail to the GC/MS tooltip to indicate that it is also a science experiment.
- Added details to the GRS description to indicate that it is useful for detecting concentrations of uranium and thorium.
- Added a more detailed description of the science labs capabilities.
- Added a clarification of the crygenic helium tank, and its use with the IR telescope.
- Added details about the magnetometer is also a science experiment to the tooltip desciption.
- Added details to the helium-3 container to clarify that it does not store helium, and is used as a reator fuel.
- Added tooltip to antimatter containers to indicate maximum capacity.
- The UN tank now uses the correct model.
- Charging is now disabled by default for antimatter containers.
- Microwave recievers will now attempt to throttle reception to equal demand. (experimental)
- Plasma engines now have the capability to automaticely toggle between quantum vacuum plasma and normal fuel. (experimental)
- Added "radial" warp drive models.
- Fixed thermal reciever power reception throttling. (experimental)
- Fixed improper power calculation for AM reactors. (code: ArtForz)
- Fixed improper fuel/waste transfer on nuclear reactors. (code: ArtForz)
- Fixed trittium breed rate whne using unloaded lithium. (code: ArtForz)
- Added detail to IR telescope description to indicate it's requirements.
- Corrected many node sizes in part configs. (feedback: arcfurnace)
- Limited visibility of toolbar icons to thier appropriate mode. (code: blizzy78)
- Corrected node sizes for thermal recievers.
- Corrected resource name in particle fission reactor configs.
- Corrected tech requirements for warp drive configs.
- Adjusted part costs for 0.24. (ongoing adjustments)

WaveFunctionP, I want you to know that I really appreciate all of the effort you're going to to provide us with a fun gaming experience while Fractal_UK is out.

One thing I'd like to point out is that on Linux, and possibly OSX, the file and folder names are case-sensitive. When I unzip your latest experimental build I have to rename a lot of things to fix issues with the cases of files and folders to get things to work. It's not a big deal for me to fix, but if it's easy for you to keep an eye out for in the future we few Linux users would appreciate it.

Again, thanks for all the hard work. You're a hero!

WaveFunctionP, I want you to know that I really appreciate all of the effort you're going to to provide us with a fun gaming experience while Fractal_UK is out.

One thing I'd like to point out is that on Linux, and possibly OSX, the file and folder names are case-sensitive. When I unzip your latest experimental build I have to rename a lot of things to fix issues with the cases of files and folders to get things to work. It's not a big deal for me to fix, but if it's easy for you to keep an eye out for in the future we few Linux users would appreciate it.

Again, thanks for all the hard work. You're a hero!

I'll need to know the specific problems in order to correct them. I haven't done much by the way of name changing for a while now.

kspinterstellar/gamedata/warpplugin/parts/science/Telescope/model.mu

is the name of the file in the zip archive, but the part.cfg file references WarpPlugin/Parts/Science/Telescope/model.mu:

MODEL

{

model = WarpPlugin/Parts/Science/Telescope/model

rotation = 180,270,0

scale = 1.9,1.9,2.0

}

Because of the case difference, the model fails to load. To correct it, I manually rename the files and folders to the proper case to match the cfg file, and then everything loads as expected.