Kerbals going insane.

I think it has a lot of potential.

Winchell Chung posted some NASA graphs giving the volume needed per person for long-term comfort and health; 20 m^3 were needed for "optimal long term" missions of 6 months+ duration. Given that Kerbals are about half as big, the volume for them would be around 3 m^3.

The Hitchhiker is a cylinder about 2.5m in diameter and 2.5m tall; if we say that, oh, half that is usable crew volume one Hitchhiker should provide enough space for two Kerbals for a long mission. Similar estimates could be made for the other capsules.

Unfortunately, at present Kerbals don't have a bunch of role-playing characteristics they use to carry out tasks, so it's hard to see how to penalize the player for exceeding those limits, although I'd vote for "tied up with duct tape" and effectively KIA until returned.

• 5 months later...

I think a camera view of duct taped Kerbals would be hilarious. Of course I also think they should go into a hibernation mode if their basic needs are not met, but perhaps mental health isn't one of them.

Why is this listed as 'not planned' on the Already Suggested thread? I don't see a dev post.

• 1 year later...
It would be nice if after a long period of time without a habitation modual. Kerbals will go insane. At first they will start to twich, and show sings of insanity. Then they would snap and there picture would show them waving there arms screeming. And the craft would start lurching around as he messes with controlls, evenchualy the sane kerbals would tie him up and his picture would show him with ducttape over his mouth untill they reach a hab modual. (Originaly I segested a mercy killing but thats just to serius for ksp.)

No astronaught or kerbal alike can be cramed in a tiny capsule for so long and remane sane.

Oh, and eva's on planets help reduce insanity aswell.

I segested this because hab modual dosent really have a use exept for mass transporting kerbals. It would add to gameplay.

Oh and kerbals marked with badass tag are less prone to insanity as they are the "leaders". But there rare to find other then jeb at the start.

I just want KSP to be a extraordinary space simulator not a horror game.

I feel insanity is a massive subject that requires some sort of base to stand on. Due to the creepypastas floating around. Any kid can say they are insane want to kill you.

Enough with my rambling, Lets start my opinion.

No. I would like landed kerbals to sometimes get in and out. But not for insanity. I would like it to be a mod or something. But it wouldn't fit in with the kerbal nature of exploring and going to the unknown. I would like to see kerbals mucking around.

I think a mod for this would be nice, something to really give a reason to not just use the lightest lander can (or a command seat) to carry one kerbal to Eeloo and back.

But for stock this may be too much. (basic life support would be nice.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.