The "no-engined" flyer challenge!

No, I said no cheats.

Fair enough. This craft works without it.

kHXtraw.jpg

10*5*782=39100

I reckon I can go for ten kerbals at this speed, if I load the rest on, and fly more carefully.

I'll be back tomorrow.

Edited by Tw1

Just a taste of things to come, currently trying to fill it up on the runway

cw0xAeq.jpg

272 seats I think O_O

I just tried dropping kerbals down into a hopper (because those seats really lag the game). Totally worked ... until I clipped the ground and spilt kerbals everywhere.

...If I count correctly, you've got...256 seats on there?

huehuehuehue, 272, there is another flap of 16 hanging in the back

Although I did fill it up and I was running at around 4 fps, so I cut the top off so now it's just 144

why use seats at all? one of the score multipliers is weight, might as well just spam full command pods?

/really/ hard to move something that massive at any reasonable speed, I tired to make something huge but It wouldn't fly xD

25.2 m/s

210.15 T

96 Kerbals

25.2*210.15*(96+1) = 513690.66 to top my previous score

And for the proof:

Speed: in air right after the upper wings ripped off and it's about to split in half, it's not really stable xD

0NR0jxn.jpg

Weight: info screen while on the runway

6ZwSXhG.png

Kerbals: 3x4 for each column, 8 columns , so 96 kerbals total

e9REZDP.jpg

Taken from the suggestion before to keep the kerbals in command pods, sadly my wing made of kerbals didn't get to fly, I lagged out sadly, so I made this that still caused me to change textures down to low being it's over 600 parts, I did manage to barely fly it at around 12 fps, with a take off taking up a good 5 mins to slide off the edge of the runway.

Too bad your giant 272 (or however many it was) seat flyer lagged out.

Turns out when you stuff 272 kerbals in one spot, if you tip the slightest bit off the runway, they kinda explode into one another and just fall apart into ragdoll mode, and when you have 270+ kerbals in ragdoll on a moving plane, it tends to break computers, I wish I could have done it though :(

Although, This design here is expandable, I can fit more and more on the back as each section can lift itself and a little more, so if I /really/ felt like it, I could run it at around 1 fps and takeoff with even more than this

Looks like this challange is geting to the point where it's as much a CPU challenge as a player skill challenge.

Seeing Scott-H's clever use of command pods, and 10x bigger-than-the-rest score, I decided to modify my approach, adding more weight, and more kerbals.

But I like my infinigliders fast.

It took many hours to create a design that didn't pull itself to bits before getting any decent speed.

One problem was that the craft would pitch wildly as it rose, but this turned out to be more of a piloting problem. By using Q and E to accelerate instead, SAS would hold my direction, and I just had to avoid rolling.

I set graphics settings to minimum, and turned down the window resolution, as well as clearing all other vessels from the space center. But then I was quite impressed with how my computer handheld this monster.

I was even able to add more struts.

Weight on the pad:

4Zhdyk8.png

There are 21 kerbals. 12 in Mk3 cockpits, 5 in Mk1 cockpits, and 4 on external seats.

One extra on the ground, to give the "plane" a kick to get it going.

Then, some careful wiggling, and the chain reaction slowly begins.

IDVkjXh.png

Here is a screenshot just after disassembly started, showing maximum speed:

eLgTW6Z.png

21kerbals.

43.01 tons.

461m/s.

416379.81 points.

Turns out much of the thing held together, and continued to fly for 95km, before crashing into the sea at 587.9m/s.

OXFiMJD.png

I could probably bolt on a bunch of pods, use a ton more struts, and fly it at a few FPS, but I think this will do.

Edited by Tw1

I could probably bolt on a bunch of pods, use a ton more struts, and fly it at a few FPS, but I think this will do.

I'm in awe of what my computer just put up with.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Lets see...

10+12+7+5+14=

48 Kerbals.

58.89 Tons

427 Meters per second

Which makes it:

Edit: just realised I've been doing the equation wrong:

427*(48+1)*58.89=

1232155.47 points!

Most epic flight ever. Worth staying up to 3am for.

Anyone else interested in scrounging for CPU power to run a 1606 part craft? It is stock as required.

Edited by Tw1

I realized that adding more kerbals in pods adds to weight, and by making a system that can can it's own weight and then mirroring it seems to be working quite well, it just isn't stable in flight, so I plan on making a very light carrier that can carry tons of times it's own weight, and then strap tons of pods to it.

With my plane design with the wings covered in kerbals it was quite light in the end, but very laggy on the eva'd kerbals, although the empty plane ran fine a nice 350~ parts, so I made the one with many command pods out of necessity for a lag free craft, the extra weight was just a bonus, and I do plan on making something stupidly big and fast, as in command pods I don't have to worry of flying careful and having them fall out of their seats.

I'm going to edit and show progress below this until I finish my new design

qEEUAm8.jpg

so I plan on making a very light carrier that can carry tons of times it's own weight, and then strap tons of pods to it.

-snip-

That's more or less how my plane was developed.

See if you can go for two million! Good luck.

If you get there, I might go for three.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.