[IMPORTANT RESEARCH - PLEASE HELP]. Figuring the average LKO altitude.

AncientAstronaut

I typically shoot for 75km for every launch. For manned vessels I then increase the orbit to 150km and for stations I push them up to 250km.

I keep my initial orbit so low as that means most of my spent stages are orbiting well below the orbit of my real missions.

I dump practically everything in a 80km orbit. Stations, interplanetary transfer vehicles, spaceplanes. Everything.

This because you'll be moving the fastest in the lowest possible orbit, thus maximum usage of the Oberth effect. So it is mainly a matter of efficiency (and yes, I know it doesn't save me much).

I have it 10km higher than the absolute minimum so I have some leeway when I botch a rendezvous.

The only exception to this is my double duty Figaro GPS network and Remotetech relay constellation. Those are in a 3 hour period orbit.

100km if I'm going somewhere; 300km for anything requiring docking, like space stations. The reason I put those higher up is that 300km is past the point where Kerbin stops rendering the atmosphere, so I get a much better framerate.

It just depends. My typical orbit is probably around 120-150km. I generally put stations at around 250-300km to take advantage of 100x time warp. For interplanetary missions I generally assemble things around 150km. I generally consider anything at 300km or under as LKO. I rarely park anything at a higher orbit though, unless I am doing a really big mission with really low thrust to weight ratio. Then sometimes I'll have elipticals that can stretch out to 4, 5, 600+km with PE down around 90-100km. That said, those aren't really stable orbits so much as transfer orbits.

I'll get my ship from around 120-150km circular assembly orbit and drop PE to around 100km for an Oberth boost and then I'll start accelerating and pumping my AP higher on each successive orbit. So I might go from 100x130 to 100x180km on the first pass, then 100x250km on the second orbit, 100x400km the next orbit, 100x600km on the next, 100x1,000km the next orbit and probably breakaway from Kerbin SOI on the next orbit. That is usually only for really low thrust to weight ratio interplanetary ships. Most designs can achieve breakaway on the second orbit.

My station is on 190x186x51.6 orbit, so I time my flights there either for direct ascent, or 1-2 orbit rendezvous. For flights bound elsewhere, I usually align launch window for direct departure burn without entering LKO orbit since in my Universe booster engines are not restartable.

80km standard parking orbit for interplanetary missions, 100km for testing new designs, 150km to 250km for LKO-only missions, 250km to 300km for Kerbin space stations.

250k for my station, just because it's out of the render range of Kerbin. In the same vein, 175km is my typical parking orbit, but my SSTO orbit is usually as low as I can make it; like 73, 72k.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.