[WIP] Escepadie (Systems) Modular Station [EMS] mod

Adie123

jfBzCds.png

CrcTuuD.jpg

6gfj4j9.png

Title created with the mods parts. (old version)

UPDATE 19th January 2014

I wasnt greatly satisfied with the older version model. It was the main reason it hadn't been released. So i started remodelling the parts to take into consideration of 4-way connectability instead of the 2-way of the previous model. I.E. the interior opening was rectangle so parts only looked right when rotated at 2 angles. The new models have a square interior, allowing 4 directions. Future may hold hexagon or octogon shaped to allow 6 and 8-way, but for now 4-way will be fine.

Also you'll notice there is 4 artwork plaques for you guys to add your artwork to, then place the plaques where you want on your craft. Plus im doing the parts in 4 colours (Blue, Grey, Orange and Off-White) and im thinking of making a High-Res and Low-Res for release.

Take a look at the album below. I will keep adding more images as time goes by.

Ordered from newest to oldest

Javascript is disabled. View full album

########## Previous Design Info Below ############

UPDATED MEDIA: 9th November 2013

Hello KSP community. It is my pleasure to show you a project that i started a long time ago, just after docking was introduced in 0.18. Its gone through many different texture skins through the course of the project and eventually after gaining experience on other parts, mainly the Escepadie Telescopic Suspension Legs, besides others. I decided to texture them to fit close to stock but with more detail but smaller file size than the average formats.

Anyhow, onto the mod itself.... There are 10 parts at this moment and i have plans to make more. The Modular Station parts lock together to make many variations of design AND also come with a unique docking system consisting of two docking parts, one with guide spikes that insert into the other and through the part that that is connected to.

Check out the media below for more info.

Thanks

Adie123

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Click any of the parts below to view a video of them in the SPH.

Videos of how to place parts together. Things you possibly didnt know. (helpful, not just for my mod parts)

More videos will follow before release of the mod..... There is no estimated time for release of this mod, sorry. This is a long term project.

Parts to do-

Main Station Control

Vertical Hubs

Vertical to Horizontal Adapters

Multiple Degree Bends

Outdated Vids

Edited by Adie123

That looks really neat! Are there "docking ports" defined at the tips of the guide spikes and inside the holes they fit into to get a 5 point instead of single center dock for stability?

No. Unfortunatly the more dockingNodes attached to a part you end up seeing multiple toggle/undock/etc options when you right click the part, and have no idea which one is which. The connection is strong and in the center of both spacer types.

Edited by Adie123

Im going to add more media and information regarding this collection of parts in the coming days/weeks. Even though this project has been on the shelf sat doing nothing for a long while, i have decided to revitalise it and continue to add to it with animations. This will take time and wont be done over night, so please be patient.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
A little tip regarding the images:

http://xkcd.com/1264/

That said, I think I'll download.

Im sorry you dont like how its setup, but for a quick edit of the thread this had to do. It will change, given time when i have the images setup in an album.

Also, download?... its not released yet as its WIP (work in progress) :P

Sorry, spent most of my time looking for the xkcd :P

I'd just prefer if it was in an imgur album or something. But it looks very promising so far.

i do have all my images in imgur, but i need to organise them. it was kind of a mad rush to get the thread updated today to some degree. it'll be changing over the weekend, but for today ive done enough :D

i do have all my images in imgur, but i need to organise them. it was kind of a mad rush to get the thread updated today to some degree. it'll be changing over the weekend, but for today ive done enough :D

Fair enough, looks good so far. Good luck with the mod-to-be.

Awesome work! This is one of the few mods that I really would love to see in my game! It looks very good with the stock parts, and add something new to the game!

Two things I was wondering after watching a showcase of the mod yesterday, is there going to be a vertical corridor (like a elevator shaft / ladder) instead of turning a horizontal part 90 degrees. And is it possible to create some sort of artificial gravity inside the station?

Minor third point: The joints between the parts will be made stronger?? Although it was fun seeing that big station fall apart once (or twice) it would look awesome if it could stick together without a ton of struts everywhere

Thanks Kaizor. This mod concept is what drove me to mod for KSP. I've been tweaking and messing around with it since 0.18, as i mentioned in the OP. But i've never been satisfied with its look and function up until recently for it to be released. I'm still not 100% satisfied infact, theres more work that needs doing first.

As for your questions, i'll be listing the parts on the OP that i want to add to the mod at some stage. Vertical junctions is one of them... As for artificial gravity, that would require plugin code which i dont touch. If some genious made LUA compatible then the sky would be the limit for me, but C# or Java is a no go, unfortunatly.

The joint strength i will look into, i had originally thought, when Syvos was testing it in the showcase stream, that i hadnt put breaking torque values in, but i had and they were very high values. So... much testing and tweaking needs to be done to see whats required to fix that.

Thx

Adie

Can you dock the pieces together outside SPH/VAB?

Yes, the Docking Spacer and Docking Guide, dock together.

This is looking very impressive, Though personally I think the scale is off. The parts seem much larger than they should be. Also as a side note, are the textures on the parts temp, or shall they be used on the finally product?

1. Yup the scale maybe altered, as i was thinking the same tbh. I will toy with that idea :)

2. Yeh i guess they are final. The images and vids dont do them justice really. They are higher quality than what .mbm files give and take up less drive space. i'd say 99% of the time spent on these parts have been UV unwrapping and texturing. Theyve been changed several times.