Infernal Robotics Bipedal Challenge

elind21

Wallace, I have no idea how you got that thing to work. I can't make a chickenwalker even with 5-10 reaction wheels on it.

Do you use the speed control function? How many hotkeys? Can it maintain a walk cycle?

It would be great help as I try to perform this challenge minus the SAS and reaction wheels.

It works for a given value of work.

The trick is the giant feet, the only way to really walk in KSP is to be staticly stable, meaning it is always balanced when not moving limbs, heavy feet lover the centre of gravity, and wide feet make a larger base to keep the centre of gravity over. that said, it's falls over a lot. really it needs the knee and ankle joints on each leg to be independently controlled to lift the feet higher, they tend to drag on the floor, the version 1 walked better due to the the toy style wheels

I had hotkeys for all the controls, but once you get the stance right, it can step with just 3 controls, I didn't use speed control cos I didn't know there was a speed control function :P it would have probably make it a lot easier. It can't really maintain a walk, it had to balance completely on one foot, move the other foot forward very carefully, a very small distance, then it uses the ankles to shift the weight onto the other foot without tipping over, which is extremely tedious. It actually makes more progress if it falls over forward and then gets up

I would upload the craft file if I knew where to upload it to. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I've got a walker! Here it is, on the Mun.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiSsPB9dO_o

It can walk up mountains, and turn by stopping one "leg". It's got three speeds, but the faster two are useless on the Mun because they'll just launch you up in the air. On Kerbin they're more useful, but all I really did there was jump on the runway and off again.. :P

In the video I'm trying to walk up an incline, but I'm not going straight up which makes one leg hit the floor before the other does, throwing you off course. So I correct my course to go straight up again.

It's completely useless, and a rover would've been up the hill a million times faster, but this was way more fun to build. :P

• 2 months later...
OMG! That is soooooooooo AWESOME! It looks EXACTLY like the Heavy-Class mechs from Hawken! Now all it needs is a Jetpack/Booster!

I don't know the mod, but there is one I have that has ridiculously overpowered rcs thrusters, and they do a pretty good job of that :)

Also, on the points I for sure got 90, and then about 23 meters away, so something like 110 points.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.