What's the Largest Rocket you've ever built? Interplanetary and Launchers Mostly

Bah! Giant vehicles don't count as a launch victory if you turn off the bloody gravity! :)

Here's another of mine. Someone once said that you couldn't build a very tall rocket, because it became unstable and impossible to launch.

If someone with better eyes than mine can count those orange tanks and give me a number, I'd appreciate it. I never knew how tall that thing was. I couldn't see all of it at once in the VAB for obvious reasons.

#EDIT: Shot on the pad so you can use the watertower to reference height.

#EDIT2: Just noticed the on-the-pad picture is an older one... you can see I wasn't yet done with the external truss shell.

I counted 17 but i may be wrong.

I once decided to land a spacestation on Minmus.

screenshot76n.png

Can you see the kerbal on the ground and the one hanging off the side?

My kethane miner was quite big too, could empty most deposits in a single landing

screenshot123p.png

screenshot105a.png

Don`t know part counts or weight as they are pre-24.2 and from an era of overdesign.

Now I mostly build really small things.

• 2 weeks later...

My largest would have to be my 1100-ton payload lifter (over 7500 on the pad). I never actually did anything with it. I just wanted to see if I could get a payload with 4-digits of mass into orbit with something stable and reliable, using stock parts. This was not long after the ARM patch (0.23.5) released. My Jool-5 was probably heavier overall, but the largest of the two launches for that weighed in around 6800 on the pad.

Jool-5, propulsion-section launch (6800+ on the pad):

eirSvga.jpg

1100-ton lifter (7500+ on pad):

KSP%202014-05-18%2016-52-12-25.jpg

KSP%202014-05-18%2016-01-23-23.jpg

KSP%202014-05-18%2018-10-00-73.jpg

Edited by NecroBones

My largest would have to be my 1100-ton payload lifter (over 7500 on the pad). I never actually did anything with it. I just wanted to see if I could get a payload with 4-digits of mass into orbit with something stable and reliable. This was not long after the ARM patch (0.23.5) released.

Could cut the part count down with mod parts, I hear SpaceY is good for this.

(Seriously though, what is the part count on that monster?)

That's the person who made SpaceY, or did I miss the joke? :P

Anyways, I did build some large rockets in the past, but now i'm going for efficiency. My latest large rocket was my 6.4x Kerbol minmus mission, I don't know how much it weighs, but it's not very fun to try to pilot, I know that much!

But the largest rocket, period? Well, this is the largest one I could find in the screenshot.

(3 parts procedural fairings)

LN9zWDi.png

I know i've built bigger, but this picture just makes me laugh. :D (don't ask what happens when I seperate them)

That's the person who made SpaceY, or did I miss the joke? :P

Yep, that was the joke. :)

LOL, yes, I suppose the part count could go down now. :)

I just edited the post above with part of my Jool-5 launch too, which was close.

I had to find the .craft file first :) but it looks like the 1100-ton lifter had 751 parts (with the clamps). Not bad for its size.

Edited by NecroBones

My biggest serious rocket is the one used to launch the lander/transfer stage section of my 6.4x Tylo ship. It's almost 4000 tonnes at launchpad, and the payload capacity is something like 150-200 tonnes to a 200 km orbit.

launch_success_1.jpeg

launch_success_2.jpeg

launch_success_3.jpeg

launch_success_4.jpeg

The Tylo ship itself, when it's fully fueled, is going to be my biggest interplanetary ship ever. At over 2500 tonnes, it's more than 50% heavier than my 7-kerbal stock Eve lander.

tylo_ship_2.jpeg

In this picture, the ship is still missing the command module, as it would be an unnecessary obstacle for the fuel tankers.

• 2 weeks later...

Biggest rocket I've ever built?

This thing:

HC0v7hB.png

Yes, those are 20 meter procedural fuel tanks. The 5 meter ones were just too small.

With 79 KW Rocketry Century engines, this monstrosity has almost 900 MN of thrust at launch. Even then, that's just enough to give me a TWR of 1.1 at launch.

The payload itself weighs over 6000 tons and the fairing weighs over 3000 tons.

You may see it in action soonTM...

My largest lifter is the Tylo-100A.

Named after its first destination (3 Kerbals and 2 Rovers are currently on Tylo) and the amount of Mainsails that run at liftoff.

I did not look at numbers during the flight, so I don't actually know how much weight this ...thing lifts to LKO.

On the pad, the total weight of the lifter + Tylo hardware ist 7977,36t.

I'm not going to launch the stack again just to get a reading on the LKO lift capability, and the reason is another number - part count: 1576. Ouch!!

0foneRF.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.