[Closed] Amphibious Gear and the Drone

Tosh

My only request with them would be to have shorter ones for smaller craft that don\'t have to attach on a wing to look right.

I\'ve added shorter skids to the pack; they\'re suit better for smaller planes. See opening post for download.

Awesome. They work fine (With a bit of good placement and luck with my testing design), and now it\'s not a hassle to get this thing to sit on the pad right.

The SkyRunner needs C7, CPTSlug\'s Aerospike Engine, and the skids. I recommend not trying to land it anywhere above 5m/s vertical velocity.. And to pitch down a little before landing, else you lose the engine. >.>;

The TA Carrier 1 needs the above parts, as well as the radial parachute and the shuttle parts pack done by Tiberon.. As well as a couple of parts from the NovaPunch pack. Though, given the faster load times, that isn\'t reallt that much of an issue, is it? Be careful with this one - C7\'s engines have a tendancy to explode if over-throttled.

Anywho, attached some screenshots along with the .craft files.. And the last one for the SkyRunner.. That\'s what happens when you turn off ASAS when trying to land it.

These skids are not letting me land any faster than 50 m/s on land, they end up glitching out then putting a hole in my plane\'s fuselage! xD

With bare skids I landed on the rough ground (away from KSC) at no more than 40 m/s. And sometimes I ended up with my plane hitting one of those \'lines on the ground\' and falling apart. Even pontoons did not alway help :)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3589.0;attach=8608;image

At KSC (at perfectly smooth surface) I\'ve tested skids with pontoons at 180 m/s, and they have done pretty well.

I think you mean Enginuity HUEHUEHUE

I think you mean ingenuity ;)

ON TOPIC: These skids just look - well, there\'s no other word for it than stupid - on a 1 meter fuselage. Would definitely appreciate some smaller ones as I love my 1m fuselage planes and haven\'t really mastered anything larger :P

Sorry, I\'m not likely to do smaller skids (at least not in the near future). Even those \'large\' ones sometimes fail to protect heavy plane\'s engine from a splashdown :( (and -- yes -- I prefer heavy planes :) ).

But -- wait, what\'s that?

Breakin\' News:

Hostile Planes Spotted in the Skies of Kerbin?

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4873.0;attach=9314;image

[table][tr][td]

Codename: [/td][td]

\'Drone\'[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

Type: [/td][td]

tactical reconnaissance UAV, aerial target[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

Carrier: [/td][td]

any C7 plane (?)[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

Maximum speed: [/td][td]

unknown (> 150 m/s)[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

Service ceiling: [/td][td]

unknown (> 2 000 m)[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

Endurance: [/td][td]

unknown (> 2 min)[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

Length: [/td][td]

4 m[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

Height: [/td][td]

1 m[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

Wingspan: [/td][td]

6 m[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

Weight: [/td][td]

600 kg[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

Structure: [/td][td]

fuselage, wings (2 pieces), fins (2 pieces), ejector rack[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]

Development stage: [/td][td]

UV-mapping & texturing[/td][/tr][/table]

Coming soon!

Sorry, I\'m not likely to do smaller skids (at least not in the near future). Even those \'large\' ones sometimes fail to protect heavy plane\'s engine from a splashdown :(

What I do is.. Well, I tend to come in for a landing with these things in the water very, very fast. Not over 100 m/s fast, but engines burning to keep my vertical speed to a minimum. Takes a long while to stop, but it works.

I think you mean ingenuity ;)

ON TOPIC: These skids just look - well, there\'s no other word for it than stupid - on a 1 meter fuselage. Would definitely appreciate some smaller ones as I love my 1m fuselage planes and haven\'t really mastered anything larger :P

Yeah, I know. Was making a bad joke at rocket engines. ;P

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance that neat thing\'s going to come out some time?

(Before anyone accuses me of necro the post with the glider is less than two weeks old.)

Errr... I remember this project, but I\'m currently busy with some job I\'m paid for :). Will return to this one ASAP.

Would it be possible to model up some drop tanks? Perhaps a version for planes, and one for rockets?

Eh, what?

First of all, there\'s Addon Requests section in the forum; you simply have more chances of getting a positive response when posting there. And the second, AFAIK C7\'s currently working on a new release containing the whole lot of plane stuff, including wing and hull pylons. I hope it\'s possible to attach any tank to them.

See http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=5884.0

And as for me -- I\'m currently busy with glider.

I love the drone!! It\'s so sexy and the assembly helpers are great, however I do have a couple of things I\'d love to see improved:

1. It is indeed very hard to get it to fly straight. Changes to the game might be the only fix for this, though.

2. Could we perhaps have a \'slow\' version with more lift and less thrust? It\'s very hard to deploy this from my standard lifter rocket while equipped with additional (very heavy) railguns and then use it for any kind of target practice because it goes shooting off at 200-300m/s while I\'m stuck at 180, perhaps 200 and with very unstable controls (it\'s running at max throttle and the control surfaces weren\'t placed for high performance flight, rather for efficient level flight and \'realistic\' landings). I have tried other aircraft, but it\'s either too hard to regulate my speed with the drone or too hard to keep up with it as it nose dives. That aircraft has killed many kerbals!

I love the drone!! It\'s so sexy and the assembly helpers are great, however I do have a couple of things I\'d love to see improved:

1. It is indeed very hard to get it to fly straight. Changes to the game might be the only fix for this, though.

2. Could we perhaps have a \'slow\' version -snip-

Thanks for your feedback))

The work on \'flying straight\' as well as on \'slow\' version is currently in progress. If you\'ve any skills in .CFG editing you may join us at http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=6341.