BSC (Better Stock Crafts) - Aeris 3a - Yet another winner!

Xeldrak

Ah, oh god - I god to bed, wake up and there are three pages more :D

@Karmacoma Well, your plane fits the challenge nicely and I like the design

@littlebattler Maybe you want to post some screenshots, where your plane is not in the shadows or hidden behind graphic effects ;)

You guys still have ~50h left to post your build

Edited by Xeldrak

Here is my entry: The ChemRock Moloch

First of all, a tip of the hat to Mulbin - I had completely forgotten, that the Engine Nacelle woks as an air-intake too.

Its a small, agile craft that will basically lift off by itself. Even though it is fittet with a tricycle landing gear, there is no danger of tailstrike whatsoever. The forward swept wings are cool, just because :P But I'm actually really proud that while agile, it's basically impossible to get into a stall, no matter what you do with the controlls. Maybe I'll upload a video later showing this. Also - no part clipping whatsoever.

A little detail, that is rather important to me is the ladder: the pilot can climb out and into the craft anytime.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Action group: 01 - Toggle ladder

16 parts

150 units liquid fuel

5.46 tons at launch

TWR at launch: 3.87

Get the .craft file >>HERE<<

Edited by Xeldrak

well as it seems important point i've added a video of a no SAS flight (tho i have no idea why you would want to fly without SAS) takes off and flies fine without SAS, but i will admit this craft is a bit twitchy when it comes to landing, as you can see by the result. I've added a bit of bling to my original craft, just craft couple of antenna so the plane in the video is slightly different, noting major, just cosmetic. I've been downloading and playing with some of the entry's as they have been posted and one thing i have noticed and may be worth a mention is that none of the ones i have tried have anything to recharge the batteries other than the engines so after extended periods of gliding you lose control due to lack of electric power.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This little number may look similar to other planes in this contest, but look closely, or fly it yourself - it's polished and as newbie friendly as they come.

But I wanted to make sure it had room for danger - at maximum altitude, it can be flamed out and restarted safely. Pilots need to practice flying on the edge before trying to SSTO with later craft.

• Takes off hands-free with no runway swerve.
  • Won't tailstrike even with hamfisted pilots
  • Flies straight and perfectly balanced (a barometer offsets the cockpit ladder weight)
  • Uses small fins instead of canards, for just the right control response. Nimble, but won't overcommit.
  • Control surfaces are angled for stable pitch control - with no trim at low altitude, it climbs, but at high altitude it descends. Flies level and stable at ~6000m
  • Has positive yaw-roll coupling - yawing left gently rolls the plane left in coordination. Easy runway lineups.
  • Optimal TWR of 2.2, with 45 minutes of flying time. Can make KSC2!
  • Virtually impossible to spin/flip. Deliberate flat spins (at 20km) recover with no pilot action.
  • Can cruise at 600m/s at Basic Jet maximum altitude.
  • Perfect air intake capacity - new pilots can safely experiment with flameouts at 16-18km before trying twin-turbojet spaceplanes.
  • Parachute abort system is strutted to the plane, and can be fired at full speed + throttle 'on the deck' without failure.
  • Tiny solar panel keeps the battery from running down for tailgate parties!
  • Uses that tiny text field in the SPH!

Stats:

23 Parts

7 Tons

380 LiquidFuel

TWR 2.2

Action groups:

1: Toggle Turbojet

Brake: Toggle back brakes only and Cockpit Ladder! Never forget the parking brakes again!

Abort: Deploy parachute

>>> .craft file here <<<

>>> .craft file update! <<<

Edited by antbin

Well, there was a challenge that originally inspired my series of challenges. Since the OP lost interest, it seems - there was never a winner choosen, so maybe I'll pick it up again.

Edit: I've posted a overview of the challenges we allready had, it's also linked in my signature.

Edited by Xeldrak

The bumblebee plane (my reply with quote is broken?)

Anyways. I just read the OP, and created a nearly identical plane to the bumblebee. Only difference is, I use two orange ladders instead of the gray one. I put my fuel tank infront of the Nacelle's (further col from the com.), I used a v-tail style rudder and my parachutes are a bit more off balance then yours.

That's it, other than that, completely identical. So, thanks for that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.