What Technology Are You Waiting For?

Altair1371

Guest ThatCrazyPilot

All it is is a bunch of fancy bullshit tacked onto it. It LOOKS like it was made for mobiles, but the changes besides the stupid visuals are like, ribbon enabled for nearly everything.

And I DESPISE ribbon.

They\'re just trying to compete with apple\'s minimalism, and made windows look like a phone OS. Nice fucking job, microsoft. I\'ll skip this one.

I like both, Mac and Win

acctually other than the start screen, It looks like windows 7. And I bet there will be an option to turn off the start menu.

That\'s my point though. From all I can tell, there\'s almost NO changes from win7 if you turn off that feature. So what\'s the point, if you don\'t use it? :x

{Affordable space travel.}

Possible in 50-60 years.

Only if by 'affordable' you mean '$300 per kilogram at a somewhat liberal estimate to ride a space elevator and transfer from there to Luna'. While this would certainly be a great cost reduction and could put a lot of people on the surface of the Moon within our lifetimes (assuming that an elevator can even be built; current carbon nanotubes fall rather short of the strength required to effectively anchor a ribbon/cable lowered from geosynchronous orbit), keep in mind that 300 per kilogram is still a pretty damn high cost. You\'ll be covering not only your own mass, but the mass of all the canned air, water, food, and equipment that\'s needed to support you offworld, not to mention that you\'ll likely be sharing in the cost of whatever ship you\'re going to be riding to escape Earth\'s gravity.

That\'s not even counting journeys to other worlds, which would probably cost about an order of magnitude more (or several) even with an elevator. Barring the invention of personality uploading or cheap, reliable fusion power...

Already have {fusion reactors}. They are building a new one in russia.

As Iskierka mentioned earlier, humans have built many fusion reactors, but we have yet to witness one producing power at a rate that outpaces its own consumption. Profitable fusion was 20 years in the future 20 years ago, and it\'s still 20 years away now. I don\'t know about anyone else, but I\'m not hedging my bets on this one.

Why don\'t you just die now. If we begin to migrate into a computer, who is making the power, having sex to create more people and making food. It would be a horrible existence. Its time for you to wake up.

It would be a horrible existence why? You say this of living within a simulation, yet your idea of the notion of life with the technology to communicate directly between minds is:

That making us better. Not worse.

If what you\'re basing your judgments off of is The Matrix and your friend\'s idea of the Borg from Star Trek, keep in mind that the Borg were hardly portrayed as 'good', either; dedicated wholly to unbridled expansion by industrial and military means, without a thought of pleasure or whimsy or enlightenment in their heads (for the most part, at least). (Correct me if I\'m wrong here, because I haven\'t seen all of TNG. =P Go figure. Either way, this is about portrayals in mass media...)

You\'re saying you\'d rather experience fake events and fantasies than actually live your life? That\'s...kinda sad, honestly.

Who, me? I\'m saying that if you\'re going to base your judgment of any of that on movies or TV, you should probably take into account the fact that the most widely known movies and television programming on the subject in very recent history haven\'t exactly been the most flattering to the subject.

At any rate, experiencing only your idea of 'fake' experiences (which I presume you mean to be any that are purely the result of computer simulation) is not what I have in mind for mind uploading. Argue all you want that this is what it could quite possibly turn into for the vast majority of those who undergo it, and I won\'t disagree; but being in a computer does not necessarily negate interacting with the outside world, which would be exactly what I would be doing if I were to ride a real spacecraft to another planet, even as an upload. So no, I wouldn\'t rather experience 'fake' events -- I would like to maintain control over my presence outside of the computer -- I just would like not to be limited to my human body.

That said I would also like neural computer networks. IE the brain of one human can litually tell everyone what they want without saying a word. Also useful for linking 1-3 other bodies onto one person or brain.

Not in out lifetimes. *Sigh of relief* This scares me no end.

I want a 3D printer that can not only manage hundreds of different materials, but be able to produce complex circuits and entire mechanisms too. And it has to be affordable, enough that just about anyone can get one-- like inkjet printers nowadays.

Think of what that would do to rapid prototyping!

Guest ThatCrazyPilot

I want a 3D printer that can not only manage hundreds of different materials, but be able to produce complex circuits and entire mechanisms too. And it has to be affordable, enough that just about anyone can get one-- like inkjet printers nowadays.

Think of what that would do to rapid prototyping!

Those are already available on the market. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.