What Torpedo's do you use?

Goldham

For me personally I use 1 Oscar-b Fuel tank with 2 radial ant engines and docking ports on both sides for my Space based Torpedo's.

My Kerbin Ground attack Torpedos are basically a stack of probe-sized decouplers and sepratrons stacked ontop of eachother.

Since the demilitarisation of space treaty was signed between Kerbin and the rest of the Kerbol system, all development of weapons systems that could reach space was abandoned.

And that treaty was signed decades before the Kerbals even knew it was possible to reach space (of course there were no signatories from the other planets, but as those hold no life that's no problem).

Four Sepratrons on a short I-beam, mounted with a small decoupler. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51115-Ship-to-ship-kinetic-energy-transfer-test-report

I'm also experimenting with "smart" ones with the smallest probe body and a couple of RCS thruster blocks for control. The "dumb" ones have worked quite well up to around 200 meters. Might work decently up to their maximum powered range. With only two rockets they just wouldn't hit hard enough. On the first test of the Block 2 design I didn't inspect the target after the first shot but the second really tore it apart.

I tried switching to separators but the kick was just as bad as with the decouplers, and left another piece of debris to deal with.

The "smart" ones have been a failure so far. I assume it's a combination of the violent sideways kick the radial decoupler gives and a lack of powerful enough steering control. The part of the decoupler left on the missile likely also causes steering problems. Wide misses every time. The only way those might hit anything smaller than Kerbin would be if I didn't specify a target and turned the launcher ship sideways to the target.

I'll try them in an axial launch position to see if they fare better.

I consider the militarisation of space as a definite NO NO... but then.... all that space junk is mighty tempting....

So, I'm thinking of equipping a ship with a laser.... and developing a torpedo like in the video above...

weapons...... YES... the bigger the weapon and the more of them... the better it will be.... :)

Canopus, what do you launch that from?
I wanted to make a challenge based on the book "Footfall" where you would have to destroy an alien spacecraft orbiting Kerbin. This was one of the weapons i myself used. It was launched by an Orion powered Battleship.

k6XGhhn.png

Unfortunately this is the only other Screenshot i have.

After the Kerbals discovered, Kerbin was the only Planet that sustained High intelligent life, although there is a persistent rumor that there are somewhere Pink Skinned, tall legged Aliens that have intelligent capabilities dispite their small heads, but arent fortunate capable of interplanetairy spaceflight.

So they never really felt the need to build any Weapons, nor dabbled in Warfare, afterall there bodies arent that well suited for harsh physical endurance of War..

In case that they discover that these Pink Skinned aliens are a treat to Kerbin, they have still a large number of used rockets with LV atomic engines they could tranform into IPBM's (inter planetairy Ballistic Missles) if the need arises..

Check my kinetic energy transfer experiment thread for the latest update. (Post #7 of this thread.) The V3 Smart KETM. So far it's proven to be rather un-dangerous most of the time. Can't hit a thing between 100 and 1,000 meters, can't accelerate fast enough to do more than bump components apart at under 100 meters.

Perhaps NOT aiming directly at the target might help? Force it to steer for the target right from launch so it's having to correct immediately? Possibly shifting the ReStock 5-way RCS thrusters aft of COM would give them stronger steering authority?

This is the sort of thing I'm trying to put together.

gkmy4QK.jpg

Technically, this was an experiment.

NRy9dxB.jpg

Technically, this was a rescue mission, but I had the dynamite with me any way.

Also, my inner grammar nazi would like you to remove the apostrophe from "torpedo's".

Edited by Tw1

I was a bit surprised at how hard it was to launch just one S-KETM, as long as I wanted to use a wee little LV-909 + FL-T800 on the final stage so it could be moved around a bunch after making it to orbit. After a few failed flights I just went with a quad coupler and shoving four BACCs under the stack with a LV-T30 + FL-T800 second stage.

I wanted a slender stack so it'd be like a normal missile without having to put things side by side or go up to anything large size. Have downloaded the latest KSPX, modified for .21 compatibility. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kf2il322etp4qx/KSPX v0.2.3.zip Will be picking some bits out of that to see if I can make a V4 S-KETM that can actually hit things. ;)

Edit: Yes! The mini_sas (which shows in game as a micro inline reaction wheel) was exactly what was needed to make the Smart Kinetic Energy Transfer Module V4 a reliable Exo-Atmospheric Kinetic Kill Vehicle. The Armed Guard II is now in the Armed Camp download. Also included are Armed Camp, Armed Camp II and the original-ish Armed Guard. It has the Rockomax 64 and Mainsail instead of the four BACCs because they didn't work very well for this application.

Parts count is considerably less, I think 47, even with going up to more OX-Stat panels. S-KETM V4 is now a missile that can be launched into orbit and loiter for indefinite time, just waiting for stuff to come along to rapidly disassemble, or leave the final stage attached (lots of fuel left at a 73KM orbit) to intercept targets. The reaction wheel provides enough torque to keep it aimed nose first all the way to the ground. V3 couldn't do that, it'd always blow around in the lower 1/3rd of the atmosphere.

Edited by Galane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.