[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

Alright, I've had something come up. When placing the avionics ring or the service module, it constantly plays the ejection animation in the VAB. It is probably something with Animated decouplers, but having the latest release from it hasn't fixed it. Just making you aware for other people giving it a shot. It's very good to see you back Sumghai.

Alright, I've had something come up. When placing the avionics ring or the service module, it constantly plays the ejection animation in the VAB. It is probably something with Animated decouplers, but having the latest release from it hasn't fixed it. Just making you aware for other people giving it a shot. It's very good to see you back Sumghai.

As per the FAQ in the OP, this is caused by an incompatibility with TweakScale. You'll need to either uninstall TweakScale, or not use SDHI SMS.

Not using it. It was fixed with a completely fresh install. Not sure what was causing it. If I find anything I'll let you know what it is.

Edit:

It is not on your end. It is an Animated Decouplers thing. I'm not sure what mod it is conflicting with but I'll be posting it on his feed. I recreated the bug without SDHI SMS or Tweakscale so something else is conflicting.

Keep up the good work, sumghai.

Edited by Ar_Taq

I just noticed a possible incompatibility with modular fuel tanks.

Installing MFT caused the monopropellant tank to shrink to only 27.5 units. Instead of the normal 100.

Looking at the MFT configuration for SDHI, it looks like it imposes a volume limit for the SDHI SM:

@PART[SDHI_2.5_ServiceModule]
{
//!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}
//!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
//!RESOURCE[MonoPropellant] {}
//!RESOURCE[XenonGas] {}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 902
type = ServiceModule
}
}

It's not really something I can do on my end.

Looking at the MFT configuration for SDHI, it looks like it imposes a volume limit for the SDHI SM:

@PART[SDHI_2.5_ServiceModule]
{
//!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}
//!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
//!RESOURCE[MonoPropellant] {}
//!RESOURCE[XenonGas] {}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 902
type = ServiceModule
}
}

It's not really something I can do on my end.

I wonder if that's a typo.... 902 versus 920.... because the SDHI total volume is exactly 920

Updated Animated Decouplers

Fixed sounds/FX not playing

Some additional handling for shielded parts not being unshielded when parts like the aero shroud are decoupled from anywhere other than the decoupler part. (i.e. if the shroud is decoupled from an attached docking node)

https://github.com/Starwaster/AnimatedDecouplers/releases

Some additional handling for shielded parts not being unshielded when parts like the aero shroud are decoupled from anywhere other than the decoupler part. (i.e. if the shroud is decoupled from an attached docking node)

Glorious, most glorious! Mucho gracias :)

Got the opportunity to perform the test sequence, and everything more or less works as it should but two things: the black heat shield and the off-vector reentry angle. Sound works perfectly, and aerodynamic occlusion as well from what I've been able to tell.

3B90B82CB7FB71E60BD784E8FC8F4DDBD5B4DFD1

Got the opportunity to perform the test sequence, and everything more or less works as it should but two things: the black heat shield and the off-vector reentry angle. Sound works perfectly, and aerodynamic occlusion as well from what I've been able to tell.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/535147738221162638/3B90B82CB7FB71E60BD784E8FC8F4DDBD5B4DFD1/

What about the shield exactly? It's too black still? At what times does it do that? You are aware that it's already pretty dark to begin with, right?

Well, yeah, I know what it's meant to look like. I'm talking completely textureless black - flat 0/0/0 RGB. Looks fine in the VAB, however. And no, it's not a shadow or lighting effect; it looks just like that when facing the sun directly.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/535147738221162406/B74EA625953D630FB48186E53C9229241B548CCD/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=458199327

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=458199364

Not sure what the problem could be. I don't see that here and I don't think anyone else has said anything about it...?

Try editing the heat shield file and change charAlpha to 1.0 (see below)

file location is: GameData\SDHI\Service Module System\Parts\SDHI_2.5_Heatshield

(honestly I don't see a difference between 0 and 1 as long as charMax / charMin is 1)

MODULE
{
// pyrolysisLossFactor changed from stock value of 10000 to 15000
//
// Forum user johnsonwax explained that increasing this value allows more heat energy
// to be removed per unit of Ablator, which essentially reduces overall Ablator consumption
//
// This fits the narrative of SDHI's PICA-X heat shield material being more durable than
// whatever fictional material is used in stock
//
// NB johnsonwax noted that 20000 would make for a *very* durable heat shield, but
// we agreed that this was probably too overpowered
name = ModuleAblator
ablativeResource = Ablator
lossExp = -9000
lossConst = 20
pyrolysisLossFactor = 15000
reentryConductivity = 0.01
ablationTempThresh = 500
charMin = 1.0 // Disable ablative darkening (hopefully)
charMax = 1.0 // Ditto
[COLOR=#0000ff] charAlpha = 0.0[/COLOR]
}

to this:

charAlpha = 1.0

Baffling considering I'm working on a 100% fresh KSP install with only the test mods.

That did it! The charMin and charMax values in my heat shield cfg I had were both at 0.0, oddly. Pretty sure I'm using the latest github download.

Edit: Huh, I guess I wasn't. Sorry for the mixup, fellas.

Edited by Bomoo

Ok, one more problem I just noticed, the rocket fx on the modded 909 don't stop when you exhaust your LF/O supply, only when you throttle back down to zero or shut off the engine. I hadn't noticed this until now because I don't usually run out of fuel. It may be an issue with hot rockets, I'm not sure.

Ok, one more problem I just noticed, the rocket fx on the modded 909 don't stop when you exhaust your LF/O supply, only when you throttle back down to zero or shut off the engine. I hadn't noticed this until now because I don't usually run out of fuel. It may be an issue with hot rockets, I'm not sure.

Does this happen without HotRockets?

I don't use hot rockets and the engine works fine for me. FX cut off when the engine runs out of fuel.

I'll take a look at the patch aristurtle wrote to add HotRockets support to SDHI SMS, to see if anything there needs changing.

EDIT: HotRockets patch updated. Please check and confirm.

Edited by sumghai

V3.0 released - see first post for download link

3.0 - 11 June 2015
---------------------------

WARNING: This is a potentially craft and save-breaking update; it is recommended you abort / recover existing SDHI craft before installing this update

Changes / Fixes:
- Compatibility Patch for KSP 1.0.x
- The Service Module's fuel cell now uses the new stock ModuleResourceConverter system, and has the same performance as its stock standalone counterpart
- Stack attachment node directions have been updated to conform with 1.0.x stricter definitions
- The Node Resizer plugin is no longer required when attaching the Heat Shield to the pod, Service Module or Avionics Ring
- All textures have been converted to DDS format for faster loading and reduced memory usage
- A bright patch on the Pod Boost Protective Cover has been fixed
- The Heat Shield is now compatible with the new stock reentry system
- Ablative darkening is not used in SDHI SMS, and has been disabled
- Deadly Reentry is still supported, and the corresponding patch is now compatible with DRE 7.x
- The fairingless LV-909 engine has been updated to have similar performance to its stock counterpart
- The Service Module colliders have now been fixed, so that surface-attached parts like solar panels and RCS thrusters should no longer float out from the lower propulsion trunk segment
- The Service Module Adapter textures have been reworked to be visually consistent with the Service Module upper ring itself
- The Pod Boost Protective Cover and Service Module Fairings are now fully compatible with the new stock aerodynamics system
- This requires the latest version of the AnimatedDecouplers plugin, which provides special versions of the standard decoupler/jettison PartModules in order for the stock ModuleCargoBay to know when to update its drag occlusion behaviour
- Removed Ferram Aerospace Research MM patch for Pod Boost Protect Cover
- The latest versions of FAR now intrinsically and automatically handle drag occlusion for hollow parts, making such patches redundant
- Fixed HotRockets! MM patch for the fairingless LV-909 engine

Bugs/Known Issues
- Mk 1-2 Pod Umbilical Port is now also toggleable outside of the VAB/SPH editor scenes
- This is due to a limitation with the current stock KSP ModuleAnimateGeneric behaviour, but is not game-breaking.
- Part testing contracts are generated in Career Mode
- This not intended behaviour, since the SDHI SMS is intended to be tested as a complete assembled stack rather than in piecemeal
- A future update might include a proper contract for testing the SDHI SMS

A huge thanks to Starwaster for extending AnimatedDecouplers to support ModuleCargoBay and stock aero behaviour, as well as Bomoo, Capt. Hunt, johnsonwax & sharpspoonful for their tireless and rigourous testing of the development builds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.