Share your launchers MEGATHREAD

iDan122

With the introduction of Subassemblies in the game, it is now possible to share high-quality Subassemblies.

Here is a place to post your launchers!

Tut:

Open game folder.

Open saves folder.

Open the folder with the name of the save file where you built your subassembly.

Open Subassemblies folder.

There is your subassembly.

COLLECTION:

Ariane 5-iDan122

Atlas Centaur-iDan122

Kora-iDan122

Mini Delta-iDan122

Heavy lifter-Agent86

Ultra heavy lifter-Agent86

Tangent Lifters-mhoram

LZY-ScottyDoesKnow

Juniper Mk. 1-5-Blue

Carinae UHLV-Spica

Edited by iDan122

When I get home from work ill post the super heavy and ultra heavy monolithic lifters that I use for almost everything. Super heavy has 8 mainsails and 33 orange tanks, ultra heavy has 32 mainsails and 132 orange tanks. Only one staging event, and no asparagus used, it makes my pee smell funny.

Perhaps we should have a common way of rating launchers. I use this system:

(x)g(y)t

Where (x) is the gauge (diameter of decoupler the payload is launched on), and (y) is the mass to orbit capability. If one gets into low thrust engines (the ions), a distinction between t.o and t.e is probably required (first, mass to orbit, scond, mass to kerbin escape)

Recently I updated my Tangent Lifter Series to 0.22 and included subassembly .craft files in the download package http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/tangent-rockets/.

Basic specs:

- 16% payload fraction to 75km LKO

- Optional set of Nuclear Engines that stay in orbit with the payload

- Payload capacities: 19, 29, 59, 119, 179 Tons

For details have a look at the thread

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50074-0-22-Tangent-Rockets-16-Payload-Lifters

NvrWLW4.jpg

Edited by mhoram

Tut:

I want to suggest to add to your tutorial that the subassemblies should be saved while there are several empty late stages. For example stages 1-20 are empty in all subassemblies of my Tangent series.

The reason is that stages in the payload can collide with stages in the subassembly. Empty stages in the subassembly prevent this problem.

Perhaps we should have a common way of rating launchers. I use this system:

(x)g(y)t

Where (x) is the gauge (diameter of decoupler the payload is launched on)

How do you suggest to rate lifters that can transport multiple payloads with different decoupler sizes into orbit?

One thing I would like to see in the posts are some basic specs like maximal payload.

I want to suggest to add to your tutorial that the subassemblies should be saved while there are several empty late stages. For example stages 1-20 are empty in all subassemblies of my Tangent series.

The reason is that stages in the payload can collide with stages in the subassembly. Empty stages in the subassembly prevent this problem.

How do you suggest to rate lifters that can transport multiple payloads with different decoupler sizes into orbit?

One thing I would like to see in the posts are some basic specs like maximal payload.

The gauge would just be the diameter of the part you glue the payload onto. You probably won't want to lift a 2.5m payload with 1.25m parts, anyway...

LZY 200t+ Heavy Lifter. It's big, it's ugly, it's 666 parts. It can get 275t almost into orbit, so I assume it can do well over 200t. Featured in this thread (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55317-LZY-275t-Refueling-Station) which currently has 0 replies (nudge nudge, wink wink). That's the payload at the top, not a stage.

The last stage has a remote guidance unit, ASAS, a large RCS tank and RCS thrusters at top and bottom. So if you leave it with a bit of fuel, you can deorbit it after launch. It's an unnecessary amount of RCS fuel so you can transfer some before detaching it.

Why this lifter over the other ones that look like a beautifully hand-crafted labour of love? I might be alone in this, but I don't like downloading anything so complicated I would never have made it myself. This thing is a dead simple design: orange tanks, mainsails and struts. Here she is, in all her gargantuan glory:

cYEUURH.jpg?1

Piloting: 0 disables gimbal on 12 outside engines. With the 275t payload, the first stage runs out at 10k which is when I start turning east.

Craft File: Launcher 200 Mk 01

Juniper Mk. IV. LINK

1-12 tons to LKO

Kerbal-rated for LKO or suborbital flights. Under development it went by the name of "Corncake" and "Cupcake" for manned variants.

O8eH60V.png

Valiant Mk. III. LINK

9-15 tons to LKO.

Kerbal-rated, designed as a simple launcher to carry Kerbals to space stations.

YlUVPg1.png

Valiant Trident Mk. I. LINK

15-30 tons to LKO.

Any medium to medium-heavy cargo lifting. Descendant from the Clover Mk. II and Valiant Mk. III, went by the name of "Shortcake".

GiS757f.png

Clover Mk. V. LINK

30-50 tons to LKO.

Any heavy lifting. Recoverable stages, core stage includes landing gear and parachutes. Ensure load is strapped down and properly strutted.

4SjVHe4.png

Clover Heavy Mk. II. LINK

50-65 tons to LKO.

Anything that fits on the node can be lifted into orbit. Load must be properly strutted to enable launch success.

ViCipqT.png

Clover HHEX Mk. I LINK

65-75t tons to LKO.

Anything that fits on the node can be lifted into orbit. Load must be properly strutted to enable launch success.

YlKIRzZ.png

Anything heavier than those I usually must make a purpose-built lifting system.

Here is one of my best launchers. Moderate part count (155), serial staging (no asparagus), and plenty of delta V to boot.

May I present to you, the Carinae UHLV...

iid1rWj.jpg

It can lift 72 tons to orbit reliably, possibly more.

Downloads:

http://www./view/p9uduvck63v4zhz/Carinae_UHLV.craft

Spica

Edited by Spica

• 2 months later...

might as well put these here:

the Orchard Class Launcher

inJ1mxM.png

M44KIPL.png

The Plantation Class Launcher

isAMA5s.png

h04y8IG.png

Both use the same core, the Plantation is basically the Orchard with 2 instead of 4 boosters. The Orchard can lift about 42 tons into LKO, and have fuel left for deorbiting.

The launcher leaves zero debris, the core rocket has chutes and landing legs so as to be recovered and reused

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.