Jool is a gigantic plant lifeform

NASAFanboy

You know oxygen is toxic right?

Also whatever chlorophyll equivilant life on another world has, it's colour is dependend on the emission patern of the local light source. If the local sun were purple, we might see yellow plants

Except that life doesn't always work out to the best situation.

Sol, is a Yellow Green, meaning it produces more green light than any other color, by that you'd think best possible light absorbing molecule is the purple retinal, There's simply more green light than anything else There is a theory that once purple bacteria ruled the earth and they were so numerous they were absorbing all the green light and other bacteria evolved chlorophyll to absorb the left over red and purple light. However, green chlorophyll is more efficient than retinal so it won out anyways. However there's the alternate hypothesis that Green Chlorophyll is rejecting the most common light simply to avoid getting too much energy, you could burn your plants up.

http://www.livescience.com/1398-early-earth-purple-study-suggests.html

So by that I could imagine that if there's a lot of purple light streaming in, we might imagine it having purple plants as well simply to avoid getting too much energy.

I think somewhere I've gotten around to stating it's more likely Eve is purple due to life than Jool being green cuz of life.

Plants and trees actually use oxygen you know.

Hint: it's during the night when photosynthesis stops.

Yes, but as I pointed out in a previous post, they can only use oxygen to respire if they have glucose generated from photosynthesis. Since that wouldn't be happening in the first place, anaerobic (or the plant equivalent of) respiration cannot happen since they have no fuel to burn.

photosynthesis-respiration.jpg

Simplification, and obviously 'Energy' is Adenosine Triphosphate, but it shows how the processes are reversible.

Plants and trees actually use oxygen you know.

Hint: it's during the night when photosynthesis stops.

They do it all the time. If they needed darkness, we wouldn't have this.

The process is light-independent so it's just called the dark phase. Plants constantly burn oxygen and sugars, but they produce more oxygen than they consume when illuminated.

Most plants would die without oxygen in the atmosphere. Roots need oxygen to burn sugars to work and transport food and nutrients to the rest of the plant. That's why a lot of plants will die if you give them too much water (no air left in the dirt if it's absolutely soaked with water). Algae might live in a place without a lot of oxygen, but there would still be a need for other lifeforms to recycle the dead algea and produce CO2.. (Anything bigger than an algae would be destroyed by the winds anyway)

So, Jool might be a complex algea-bacterial world, but one gigantic plant just wouldn't work : )

Small problem, if there are leaves or plants, then they would collapse under Jool's massive gravity. They would rapidly carbonize under the massive temperature. If it ever was lush and green, then now it's practically Saudi Kerabia :P

Small problem, if there are leaves or plants, then they would collapse under Jool's massive gravity. They would rapidly carbonize under the massive temperature. If it ever was lush and green, then now it's practically Saudi Kerabia :P

Meh, I think of it as a planet with extremely solid stalks that reach up to 5000M-or more.

The reason you explosde under -5000M is because you hit the bedrock.

Airborne algae might possibly survive in the atmosphere if there's enough water vapour so they don't dry out and have enough material for photosynthesis. Temperature would have to be right of course in a region of the atmosphere with habitable air pressure or they would freeze or die from heat. Some 'volcanic' activity would maybe be needed in the core to eject dead organisms, to avoid that all carbon ends up in an inaccessible state. If the algae would possess a compartment with gaseous hydrogen for example, to stay buoyant enough to stay in the athmosphere, those algea might be possible. Still it would be a crazy and extremely weird ecosystem. : )

I don't see multicellular life working in Jool sadly : (

Highly unlikely.

8Kj0ovJ.jpg

The floating algae concept a possibility. There would also be flying blimp size creatures feeding on them and hunter killer flyers feeding on the blimp algae feeders. But, not on Jool with its hot high pressure toxic atmosphere.

Jool has a 'massive' surface gravity of 0.8 g.

Is it really? At 0m? Never knew that. Learn something new every day, I suppose.

Did you get that from a gravioli detector or an accelerometer? Anyway, I'm working off the (apparently faulty) assumption that since Jool has such a massive SoI, it must have massive gravity.

Is it really? At 0m? Never knew that. Learn something new every day, I suppose.

Did you get that from a gravioli detector or an accelerometer? Anyway, I'm working off the (apparently faulty) assumption that since Jool has such a massive SoI, it must have massive gravity.

I got the value from the wiki kerbal celestials Jool page.

Except that life doesn't always work out to the best situation.

Sol, is a Yellow Green, meaning it produces more green light than any other color, by that you'd think best possible light absorbing molecule is the purple retinal, There's simply more green light than anything else There is a theory that once purple bacteria ruled the earth and they were so numerous they were absorbing all the green light and other bacteria evolved chlorophyll to absorb the left over red and purple light. However, green chlorophyll is more efficient than retinal so it won out anyways. However there's the alternate hypothesis that Green Chlorophyll is rejecting the most common light simply to avoid getting too much energy, you could burn your plants up.

http://www.livescience.com/1398-early-earth-purple-study-suggests.html

So by that I could imagine that if there's a lot of purple light streaming in, we might imagine it having purple plants as well simply to avoid getting too much energy.

I think somewhere I've gotten around to stating it's more likely Eve is purple due to life than Jool being green cuz of life.

I never knew that. Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.