KMP v0.1.5.1 [0.23] [alpha] [inactive]

TehGimp666

I'm trying to manually delete a piece of debris with /deleteship, but when I do so it says the Vessel is not found, eventhough I'm copy/pasting the vessel ID directly.

/listships
[19:08:57] [Info] : Command Input: /listships
[19:08:57] [Info] : Name: ****-Spear Personnel Deployer-Sh ID: 4cfb2610-dfa8-4de5-be7e-cc1d33fd0f52
[19:08:57] [Info] : Name: Jebediah Kerman ID: b14d0ae3-f688-408e-89e3-26c5e1f89472
[19:08:57] [Info] : Name: ****-Spear Personnel Deployer-Sh ID: dcdd9a00-a503-49b1-9efd-88dfe656d4f5
[19:08:57] [Info] : Name: ****-Spear Personnel Deployer-Sh ID: fa54e31e-aec1-4eca-a208-667812be50d8
[19:08:57] [Info] : Name: Test Platform ID: 174662c8-dfc6-4e63-832a-cceb7c962401
[19:08:57] [Info] : Name: Test Platform Debris ID: a2095391-93bc-499a-a9d3-cd8cdd96efda
/deleteship a2095391-93bc-499a-a9d3-cd8cdd96efda
[19:09:08] [Info] : Command Input: /deleteship a2095391-93bc-499a-a9d3-cd8cdd96efda
[19:09:08] [Info] : Vessel a2095391-93bc-499a-a9d3-cd8cdd96efda not found.

As you can see I'm trying to delete 'Test Platform Debris'. could there maybe be some invisible character involved that's being copied from the /listships output?

Hey,

I need help with a problem me and my friend are having. My apologies if this has been brought up or answered before in the the thread, hopefully you can understand why I won't read all 140 pages.

We're trying to play together, and he can join my server just fine. Most features work, we can share screenshots, see eachother in the 'player' list, and where we are in that list, etc. We can even see eachother in the orbit view. However, we cannot see eachother in person.

Now, I know about the 'safety' bubble, but even when we leave that we don't see eachother. We don't get markets pointing eachother out, we cannot target eachother. We both flew space planes far away from the KSC and tried to land near eachother, but we could not see eachother. If we both do EVP's we can see eachothers kerbals teleporting around. But we cannot see the craft. We even both flew to Minmus, landed feet away from eachother and could see eachother, but not our crafts.

We'd love to play this together, and we understand it will be buggy, but nobody else seems to act like they have this issue, and it's kind of a critical problem preventing any kind of multiplayer activity whatsoever.

We've tried fresh installs, and all that and nothing helps. Any ideas on what's wrong and how we can fix it? We want to build moonbases together and stuff, but we can't do that if our spacecraft don't exist to one another!

Best,

Yatagan

@JohannesMP: There should not be, But I've noticed that hitting one of the arrow keys on the end causes strangeness.

[07:40:51] [Info] : Command Input: /deleteship 7a488cf9-a010-4a14-a61a-72f1af8a3b3c
[07:40:51] [Info] : Vessel 7a488cf9-a010-4a14-a61a-72f1af8a3b3c marked for deletion.
/deleteship 7a488cf9-a010-4a14-a61a-72f1af8a3b3c
[07:40:54] [Info] : Command Input: /deleteship 7a488cf9-a010-4a14-a61a-72f1af8a3b3c
[07:40:54] [Info] : Vessel ID invalid.

Hopefully this was the issue (I believe other keys do it too)

Yatagan: That sounds like a bug to me. When I launch ships, they do appear in the game exactly as you would expect to other players (above 22km on kerbin I think - below this they are destroyed by KSP).

The thing I find strange is that you managed to land near each other and could see the kerbals, but not the actual landers themselves. Did a reconnect to the server fix this?

@JohannesMP: There should not be, But I've noticed that hitting one of the arrow keys on the end causes strangeness.

Yatagan: That sounds like a bug to me. When I launch ships, they do appear in the game exactly as you would expect to other players (above 22km on kerbin I think - below this they are destroyed by KSP).

The thing I find strange is that you managed to land near each other and could see the kerbals, but not the actual landers themselves. Did a reconnect to the server fix this?

Shouldn't it be way below 22km as he lowered the default distance to 2000m? And like I said it happened even on the surface of Minmus.

A reconnect sometimes lets the us see eachothers ships, but it also tends to duplicate and explode them. Then the game isn't synchronized because to him my ship exploded into a million parts, and it's about as useful as not seeing the ship at all. :(

OH SWEET...1.5.1 is out? SO....is there any specific procedure I need to follow to update the server side, or do I just extract the zip into the folder and copy over everything?

The Problem is maybe that you have a too high distance between your drone and the command center, you can see how big is the lag between them in left top corner there is a field with 0.0001213 S or bigger numbers.

Read the files before you report issuses.

No, I know about the time delay part of the mod, but this happens on the launch pad! :D

Edited by Vladthemad

OH SWEET...1.5.1 is out? SO....is there any specific procedure I need to follow to update the server side, or do I just extract the zip into the folder and copy over everything?

No, I know about the time delay part of the mod, but this happens on the launch pad! :D

Copypasta works fine for me.

I guess 1.6 will force a reset, but I'm not sure.

But 1.5 to 1.5.1 shouldn't have any issue.

When updating the server you only have to replace KerbalMultiPlayer.dll and KMPServer.exe. Copying over everything works too :).

0 1.6 will break KMPModControl.txt but will include a /modgen command to make the file for you thanks to ChronicSilence.

My new 'biggest issue' is to reduce the server lag. Anyone who has played on a public server has probably experienced extreme chat lag (on the order of minutes) even with 2 or 3 players.

Shouldn't it be way below 22km as he lowered the default distance to 2000m? And like I said it happened even on the surface of Minmus.

A reconnect sometimes lets the us see eachothers ships, but it also tends to duplicate and explode them. Then the game isn't synchronized because to him my ship exploded into a million parts, and it's about as useful as not seeing the ship at all. :(

Keep in mind, the 'bubble' is a cylinder. The 2000 is just the radius, not the height. type !bubble in the chat in-game and you'll see how far you are from the top.

I think in this case I specifically didn't use arrow keys (since I've noticed the issue you describe in the past) however I'm beginning to suspect that modifier keys are also being recorded, since I used cmd+c, cmd+v to copy/paste the ship ID.

It would be nice if you could just type the first 5 letters of the ID and it would just figure out the ship you mean from that, assuming only one ship matches that code. in the unlikely event that multiple ships have that code, it could just tell you and you could type out a few more characters.

Edited by JohannesMP

Keep in mind, the 'bubble' is a cylinder. The 2000 is just the radius, not the height. type !bubble in the chat in-game and you'll see how far you are from the top.

Ah, that's great to know! However, it still doesn't explain most of our problems. Like how we landed on Minmus and still couldn't see eachother. Or how we flew far away on Kerbin (way more than 2000m laterally so height shouldn't matter) And still couldn't see eachother. Does KMP only really work in orbit as of right now, or are we just missing something?

Ok, 1.5.1 gives a lot of random and specific (like when I try to return to the space center from the map it appears to place me inside Kerbin and doesn't allow anything except leaving the game) crashes and um...buildings inside the vab?!? It seems to have issues when we are both at the space center.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3390383650823326868/E4F61D7E512DC756C959C7EC4E6FD1CCA73CCBA7/

This only happened after playing a short while, to myself and another player. Strangely 1.5.0 seemed to have no real issues for us.

Edit: by 1.5.0 I mean the dev version that allowed career mode :)

Edited by Vladthemad

The update seems to have resolved the career mode progress wiping for me and my friend who were playing today, so I will be playing on my locally hosted KMP server a bit more, now that I hopefully won't have to start over every day :)

Here is an issue that the two of us both were encountering every time we tried to sync to one another in the future.

"Player #2 ***** has disconnected: Error in handling scenario data. Please restart your client."

This would cause the person trying to sync to be disconnected from the server, but would still be playing the local KMP save until quitting back to the main menu. After reconnecting to the server, we would be synced up and everything else seemed to be okay, but this happened every single time we tried to sync to one another's flights.

@Vladthemad: That's a tad interesting, It appears that your VAB is rotated 90-something degrees...

But I see you also have mod parts - Does the VAB-rotation thing happen with just KMP?

@desj16: That's actually a workaround to stop you from wiping your science, but I have a another workaround that also helps (it's server sided):

http://chrisand.no-ip.info:82/kmp/testing/science-only-once/

Overwrite KerbalMultiPlayer.dll and KMPServer.exe in the server folder.

Basically, It sends the science data only once, which stops that error from appearing after you warp / sync. Because the science data can't change from the server side (yet - we haven't implemented co-op science mode), I'm not aware of any side effects from doing this.

Hi there,

i got a error if i try to start KMP:

~$ mono KMPServer.exe
[15:53:22] [Info] : KMP Server version 0.1.5.1
[15:53:22] [Info] : Created by Shaun Esau and developed by the KMP team [url]http://sesau.ca/ksp/KMP_contribs.html[/url]
[15:53:22] [Info] : Based on Kerbal LiveFeed created by Alfred Lam
[15:53:22] [Info] :
Missing method .ctor in assembly /opt/kmp/KMPServer.exe, type System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection
[15:53:22] [Error] : Unexpected exception encountered! Crash report written to log file
[15:53:22] [Error] : System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Data.SQLite, Version=1.0.88.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db937bc2d44ff139' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'System.Data.SQLite, Version=1.0.88.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db937bc2d44ff139'
at KMPServer.Server.clearState () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KMPServer.Server.hostingLoop () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KMPServer.ServerMain.hostServer (KMPServer.ConfigStore settings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Missing method .ctor in assembly /opt/kmp/KMPServer.exe, type System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection

But the files are all there:

~$ ls -al
total 27516
drwxr-xr-x 4 kmp kmp 4096 Jan 6 14:26 .
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Jan 20 15:39 ..
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 3270144 Jan 3 20:27 Assembly-CSharp.dll
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 460288 Jan 3 20:27 Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll
-rw------- 1 kmp kmp 1364 Jan 12 11:11 .bash_history
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 18394 Jan 17 06:44 Changelog.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 200704 Nov 5 00:44 ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 168448 Jan 15 03:58 KerbalMultiPlayer.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kmp kmp 7 Dec 14 17:35 KMPAdmins.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kmp kmp 5421 Jan 4 11:44 KMPModControl.txt
drwxrwxr-x 2 kmp kmp 4096 Jan 4 23:15 KMPScreenshots
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kmp kmp 1076 Jan 4 18:34 KMPServerConfig.txt
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 136704 Jan 15 03:58 KMPServer.exe
-rw-r--r-- 1 kmp kmp 10340352 Jan 6 14:26 KMP_universe.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 kmp kmp 10345472 Jan 6 14:26 KMP_universe.db.bak
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kmp kmp 41 Jan 3 15:41 KMPWhitelist.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 664504 Aug 7 2012 libsqlite3.so.0
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 35147 Oct 23 20:53 LICENSE.txt
drwxrwxr-x 2 kmp kmp 4096 Jan 20 15:53 logs
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 381952 Jan 2 07:46 MySql.Data.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 7638 Jan 17 06:35 README.txt
-rwx------ 1 root root 632603 Oct 17 15:58 sqlite3.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 667648 Aug 7 22:13 SQLite.Interop.dll
-rwx------ 1 root root 262144 Oct 23 20:31 System.Data.SQLite.dll
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 507392 Jan 3 20:27 UnityEngine.dll
-rw------- 1 kmp kmp 1092 Jan 2 13:51 .viminfo

My Previous 0.1.5.1 Tests

My first real attempt at real-world testing, conducted with a good friend of mine that lives in Alaska (I live in Finland).

Setup:

• Server is running locally on Mac via Mono, using MySQL Database (local install via MAMP). Server is port-forwarded through router.
  • We have two ships in a 100km orbit, and are just close enough to start seeing each other's model, and are trying to dock.
  • I'm connecting Locally (Jo), friend (Ryxos) is connecting via IP, Ping is 100-200ms.

Video

Notable reoccurring issues

1. On multiple occasions my friend's ship would shoot off and then slowly drift back to where it was before.
  2. Jumping to the tracking station or disconnecting/reconnecting would cause our flight paths to vary wildy, forcing us to spent much time trying to rendevouz again
  3. Even changes to the ship such as detaching a stage would sometimes not sync, appearing as detached on the pilot's screen, but still appearing attached on the other screen.
  4. My client experienced massive lag spikes every 15-20 seconds, during which any held input keys were considered held, often causing my ship to rotate out of control and having to waste time slowing down again.

Video Analysis - bold timestamps indicate a possible issue:

0:12
- Trying to click on my friend's ship in world to set it as target is not working

0:50
- On the map screen, the player indicator arrow for ryxos is not matching the location of his ship, and seems to be ahead of him on his orbit.

0:56 - Managed to set friend's ship as target via map screen

1:00
- Annoyingly though, despite having it set as a target (as indicated by the speed on the navball) I still cannot see the HUD indicator for his ship.

1:08
- Ryxos' ship suddenly shoots off screen (notably in the direction of where his player indicator arrow was located on the map screen), only to slowly slide back into place a few seconds later (1:15)

1:55 - I start trying to cancel our relative velocity and maneuver towards Ryxos' Ship

2:00
- Massive lag spike that causes my RCS to fire continuously (and the particles become huge for a moment), causing me to spin out of control for a moment. This lag (
) Makes fine adjustments incredibly difficult, since if the thruster is engaged as the lag spike hits, the key up event will not be registered until the lag spike is over, causing the thruster input to last for several seconds, completely messing up any semblance of fine control. This continues to happen every 15-20 seconds or so.

5:32
- Ryxos' ship once again disappears. The menu has no connection to this. Notice how my framerate goes up dramatically while it's gone.

5:38
- Ryxos' ship comes racing back. on his screen he said it looked like I suddenly crashed into him

7:55
- At this point we realize that our ships are out of sync. During the last minute Ryxos had jettisoned his large fuel tanks and engines on his ship. On my screen however the fuel tanks were still attached, blocking the large docking adapter that I was intending on docking with.

8:20 - In hopes of resyncing, I went to the tracking station and tried re-selecting my ship

8:40
- Ryxos' ship is nowhere to be seen. Our orbits are now quite desynced, and he's about 16km away. The next minutes are spent trying to sync up again.

14:25
- I timewarp, with the hope that once I've warped to a position where our ships are close together, Ryxos will be able to just click the 'sync' button.

14:40
- Ryxos has clicked sync and suddenly the target velocity of his ship (see navball) is going up super fast. It should be noted that my friend is not accelerating or even touching his controls at this point.

15:00 - We basically give up trying to dock at this point.

Edited by JohannesMP

First off, can I just say how impressed I am with this mod!

I've a couple of questions about it. Do maneuver nodes show up for a spectating client or not? Also, how likely is it that a spectating client could add or manipulate a maneuver node in the (reasonable near) future?

My goal is to have a pilot/navigator setup is a simulator, so I can faf with the actual control routing as needed, I just need to get a working IVA and map view on different monitors.

And again, WOW on how far you have already gotten!

@godarklight It's hard to tell, as it's a random occurrence. But once it happens it stays like that...of course the client was crashing regularly so it was usually reset fifteen minutes later. I doubt it's the mods though, as nothing changed in about a week except updating to 1.5.1 and we didn't have the issue before Possibly a combo of a mod and the update though? I'd test it but don't want to go messing with the server we've been playing on for the past weeks :)

Also, I've noticed a lot more ships listed server side than actually show up in the game as debris, ships, landers, etc. Is that typical?

[*]My client experienced massive lag spikes every 15-20 minutes, during which any held input keys were considered held, often causing my ship to rotate out of control and having to waste time slowing down again.

Every 15-20 minutes, or seconds? I have this issue every 15-20 seconds! I've noticed that the more parts I have and the heavier the ship the more noticeable it is. It stutters the physics and has ripped apart ships in atmosphere.

I would guess you'd just change the port? There's no reason you shouldn't be able to run two together. What OS?

Win7 or Linux. My sever runs both though I currently have it installed in Win7. I aim to make available a generic kmp server for the public, and more private server for SSI. I suppose I could change the ports 2076 and 8081 to other ports for SSI but is this unavoidable? Seems awfully messy, that and I would have to tell people to open ports on their end too.

Win7 or Linux. My sever runs both though I currently have it installed in Win7. I aim to make available a generic kmp server for the public, and more private server for SSI. I suppose I could change the ports 2076 and 8081 to other ports for SSI but is this unavoidable? Seems awfully messy, that and I would have to tell people to open ports on their end too.

Without a crazy software and hardware setup, chances are you're only going to have one IP for your server/computer. That's your specific computer's address on the intarwebz, and more than likely for your entire household but no need to get into all that crap. When you port forward your router to your server, that tells the router which computer the incoming data should be sent to. Then when the computer gets it, the ports you designate in each instance of KMP should tell it which specific one the incoming and outgoing information is supposed to go to. You would have to forward that port to your computer on your router, but anyone else wanting to connect to it should only need to enter the correct port into their KMP launch window. I have yet to have a player tell me they needed to forward a port on ANY game server I have put up.

Edit: To double check, I went to the unofficial server list because I know of one that at least has multiple instances...and sure enough, check the spazer.net servers...same ip, different ports. I'm guessing he/she is running them all on the same box...

http://kerbal.wlsing.nl/

Edited by Vladthemad

Without a crazy software and hardware setup, chances are you're only going to have one IP for your server/computer. That's your specific computer's address on the intarwebz, and more than likely for your entire household but no need to get into all that crap. When you port forward your router to your server, that tells the router which computer the incoming data should be sent to. Then when the computer gets it, the ports you designate in each instance of KMP should tell it which specific one the incoming and outgoing information is supposed to go to. You would have to forward that port to your computer on your router, but anyone else wanting to connect to it should only need to enter the correct port into their KMP launch window. I have yet to have a player tell me they needed to forward a port on ANY game server I have put up.

Edit: To double check, I went to the unofficial server list because I know of one that at least has multiple instances...and sure enough, check the spazer.net servers...same ip, different ports. I'm guessing he/she is running them all on the same box...

http://kerbal.wlsing.nl/

Do you have any idea how to add your own server to that list? :)

Every 15-20 minutes, or seconds? I have this issue every 15-20 seconds! I've noticed that the more parts I have and the heavier the ship the more noticeable it is. It stutters the physics and has ripped apart ships in atmosphere.

Ah crap, yeah I meant seconds; further down in my post I correctly said seconds. Thanks for catching that.

Seems awfully messy, that and I would have to tell people to open ports on their end too.

Actually no, port forwarding is only ever necessary on a server. The reason is fairly simple:

• Assume Client A and Server B. Both are behind their own routers without port forwarding. Client A knows The IP address to Server B's Router, but it does not know the IP address that Server B has in its router's internal network.
  • When Client A tries to send a message to Server B, the router of Server B that receives the message does not know where to send the message to in its internal network, so the connection fails.
  • After setting up port forwarding on Server B's router though, the router knows 'Aha, I got a message, for port X, and I know that any messages to port X are sent to this internal IP address' - the one corresponding to Server B.
  • The key to understand here is that, when a message is sent out through a router from a machine in its local network, the router and connection protocol keep track of what internal IP/Port that communication came from.
  • So when Server B goes to reply to Client A, the router of Client A knows that this message is a reply to the one sent out earlier, and so it can route the message directly back to Client A without needing a port to be forwarded.

It should be noted that I'm very much simplifying, but that is the basic reason why you don't generally need to forward ports if you are just a client, and are not trying to act as a server.

Though it is not directly relevant to KMP, there are ways of handling this that make it so Server B would not need to port forward, such as NAT Through-punching, which many services such as Skype use. It basically means that you have another sever - Server C - that both Client A and Server B (which in this case would really be Client B) connect to first, and through there A and B can connect to each other directly since their respective routers have already started routing messages and know where internally they should send incoming messages to. (Again, I'm very much simplifying)

The problem here is that as the service provider, you need to maintain a single login server that handles all initial connections, so if it goes down (via hardware failure, too much load or a DDOS attack) no-one will be able to connect.

Edited by JohannesMP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.