Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

You'll need that time too... because with 'Active Vessel' no longer in play, your game will now revolve around the "rebuild your network" mini-game. Heading out of Kerbin orbit into the deep black? You're not in anyone's cone. Making a burn on your way to Jool, you're not in anyone's cone. Etc... etc...

"Active Vessel" is a key tool that removes a great deal of drudgery from the game. Removing it won't end PEBKAC problems, it will only change their source. This is a complex mod and PEBKAC is to be expected as people climb up the (quite steep) learning curve.

Agreed. "Active Vessel" tracking serves a very useful and needed role. I'd rather let players make mistakes while learning how to use it than for me to be denied the ability to use it so someone else doesn't need to learn something that's really simple when you get down to it (that Active Vessel only tracks the currently active vessel).

This proposal is not a positive change.

Edited by RoboRay

Active Vessel and some of the bugs bite going out in the deep black as you put it because if you change vessel to move other vessels you just lost control of that vessel and the antennas retracted now what lost that 1 and really guys the fun of it is building the networks anyway , and what you was replacing it with was going to be better.

EDIT I don't use active vessel for going out in the deep black anymore, I use dish targeting and real guys build some networks if you have to depend on active vessel for you network. but yes all my sat's have 4 dish and 1 is active vessel but i'm not crying if we loose it because it's not not good for the problems it makes.

Edited by Mecripp2

I can see there's quite a bit of ire going on in the thread right now, and I figure my question might be exactly what people are mad about...But here goes.

I set up a sat network using the DTS-M1's (x2). 3 satellites, 120_deg apart@GeoStationary. And I'm losing signal to them (of course). I think I'm really confused about what the satellites and such do nowadays-RT1 would automatically route the signal shortest route back "home", but it doesn't do that anymore. In order to use my network, do I need to have the two satellites that are 120 and -120 degrees seperated from KSC (i.e. the ones in the shadow) pointed at 1: Active Vessel and 2: KerbStar I (the satellite directly over the KSC)? Then on my "active vessel" going to the mun for example, how many antennae/dishes should I have? Should it/they point straight back at kerbin (so that I just catch any satellite in my cone) or at a specific satellite so that I have to switch over every so often? Where the crap should KerbStar I be pointing? It seems like it needs a LOT of antennae (or at least n-1) so that it can point at II, III, the KSC and the active vessel? I'll try to concatenate my questions:

TL;DR:

1.) With my 3 sat@geostationary system, where should each of the three satellites be pointing their 2ea dishes to support a mun mission?

1a.) Are my satellites even set up correctly for what I'm trying to do?

2.) Where should my mun mission be pointing its dish?

Sorry-this is just a bit complicated, and I've spent entirely too much time working on harmonic orbits to figure out how to get my satellites 120_deg apart only to have them fry on me...

I would use 4 dish satellites, one dish to kerbin, one to each of the other geosats, and one to the active vessel, thereby ensuring that a connection is possible regardless of the location of the active vessel. The active vessel can use a short-range dish (wider cone) aimed at Kerbin so any geosat in line-of-sight can connect to it

I would use 4 dish satellites, one dish to kerbin, one to each of the other geosats, and one to the active vessel, thereby ensuring that a connection is possible regardless of the location of the active vessel. The active vessel can use a short-range dish (wider cone) aimed at Kerbin so any geosat in line-of-sight can connect to it

Thanks-Any particular reason for all of 'em to broadcast at Kerbin even if it's not over the KSC? Also-in the same 120_deg formation?

That might be a future project, as soon as I get some better probe stuffs. This is a tough mod yo!

Hi, I have a problem. I have installed 4 Commutron 32 and when I try to reach the 2.868km for geostationary I lost the connection about 2.400-2.500 km... the batteries are full and the antennas are directional towards the ground. What am I wrong?

Ps: sorry for my english... I am italian and I don't speak english very well.

Thank you :)

The distance it is disconnecting at suggests you are using the Communotron 16 antenna. It uses the same part model as the Communotron 32, however the 16 only goes out to 2.5Mm. Check to make sure you installed the right antenna. It has happened to me more times than I like to admit. ;)

Edited by BjornKerbannigan
can't figure out how to make the winking Kerbal emote

1.) With my 3 sat@geostationary system, where should each of the three satellites be pointing their 2ea dishes to support a mun mission?

1a.) Are my satellites even set up correctly for what I'm trying to do?

2.) Where should my mun mission be pointing its dish?

Sorry-this is just a bit complicated, and I've spent entirely too much time working on harmonic orbits to figure out how to get my satellites 120_deg apart only to have them fry on me...

1) instead of using dishes for close range communication, you 'd better lower your orbit or use 4+ satellites to get them in 5Mm omni range from each other. If you're going to build remote-controlled spaceplanes, you should have even more satellites in low orbit (300km or so), because you can't use anything but dipole (500km range) in the atmosphere.

1a) Use Active Vessel ONLY on the last mile. If you're planning to leave the relay sat with powerful dish on orbit and get down some automated lander with omni antenna, then it won't work after you switch to lander if your Kerbin satellites are pointing at Active Vessel.

2) Sats from Kerbin network should each have smallest dish pointed at Mun, relay sat (or lander itself if you're planning to land on Mun side visible from Kerbin) should have a smallest dish pointed at Kerbin.

Ok, eather I'm doing something wrong or the hot fix still has problems here is what is my problems :

1- all mechjeb modules are removed from probs, I even added the config to the root of RT for adding them (posted in a forum post after the hot fix) but still need to add the part to have them

2- still get crashes, much lesser than before but it's annoying to have crashes mid landing :(

Hi,

I really like this mod and use it a lot :-).

My problems so far though:

* Landing. How do you guys do that? I mean: How do you land a probe on say Bop? The delay makes it impossible or am I missing something?

* The m/s format does not work. Everytime I use it, it burns until the end of time... so until the vessel does not have any deltaV left. Am I missing something?

Thanks for this awesome mod :-).

Because I derped. If you have a stable geosat over the KSC, then the other two sats only need three dishes to see the whole SOI. The three satellite constellation is the minimum number for a good com network. I do concur with other suggestions of adding 5000km omni antennas for launch coverage. Omnis won't reach the poles from geosat range of course, so you may need a polar satellite as well to reach those areas.

Thanks-Any particular reason for all of 'em to broadcast at Kerbin even if it's not over the KSC? Also-in the same 120_deg formation?

That might be a future project, as soon as I get some better probe stuffs. This is a tough mod yo!

Hi,

* Landing. How do you guys do that? I mean: How do you land a probe on say Bop? The delay makes it impossible or am I missing something?

* The m/s format does not work. Everytime I use it, it burns until the end of time... so until the vessel does not have any deltaV left. Am I missing something?

Sounds like you are forgetting to put in your time delay at bottom right corner but as soon as you hit enter on the delay anything after that will have delay time on it. and yes m/s works, like 400 deltaV would be 400m/s don't forget to set throttle.

Hi,

On landing: I didn't even try to land something on bodies without atmosphere. When RT2 becomes more polished, I'll try to. It will either imply doing some math beforehand, or waiting for kOS integration.

m/s work. Only I don't recommend using large values there, especially for non-prograde or retrograde maneuvers. If you try to change inclination with some huge burn, you may get into situation where it not only overshoots but starts to circle around at one spot infinitely.

Sounds like you are forgetting to put in your time delay at bottom right corner but as soon as you hit enter on the delay anything after that will have delay time on it. and yes m/s works, like 400 deltaV would be 400m/s don't forget to set throttle.

See bottom youtube video for proof ;).

On landing: I didn't even try to land something on bodies without atmosphere. When RT2 becomes more polished, I'll try to. It will either imply doing some math beforehand, or waiting for kOS integration.

m/s work. Only I don't recommend using large values there, especially for non-prograde or retrograde maneuvers. If you try to change inclination with some huge burn, you may get into situation where it not only overshoots but starts to circle around at one spot infinitely.

I tried it again some minutes ago: it didn't work. Video is not in HD somehow... might take a while...

Do I miss something?

I am not sure how to land on atmospheric bodies either... the antenna break apart on reentry :(.

At the moment you need 2 antennas to land or aerobrake. You can then enter a delay in the computer and right click on your second one to activate it. It won't execute until the time you put in has passed. You then put 0 back and do the immediate stuff. Would be nice for the "Activate" option to remain there even if it's already on for this purpose.

See bottom youtube video for proof ;).

I tried it again some minutes ago: it didn't work. Video is not in HD somehow... might take a while...

http://youtu.be/zFsTdlUaB8o

Do I miss something?

I am not sure how to land on atmospheric bodies either... the antenna break apart on reentry :(.

Not the best but watch this might help you.

EDIT And if you want here is a cfg to fix the antenna from breaking on reentry https://www.dropbox.com/s/v85x3heriea639x/RemoteTech_REMOVEMAXQ.cfg

Edited by Mecripp2

It looks like you lose connection at 2500km, you must've used the 2.5Mm omni instead. They look the same but one has 2.5 and the other has 5. You can't make a network with the 2.5Mm, which is the first in the tech tree until a little later. When you're building them next time, just stick one omni as they can target unlimited vessels. Having more than one only consumes more power.
The distance it is disconnecting at suggests you are using the Communotron 16 antenna. It uses the same part model as the Communotron 32, however the 16 only goes out to 2.5Mm. Check to make sure you installed the right antenna. It has happened to me more times than I like to admit. ;)
Yup! you are right! Was my mistake -.- Thank you very much

Not the best but watch this might help you.

EDIT And if you want here is a cfg to fix the antenna from breaking on reentry https://www.dropbox.com/s/v85x3heriea639x/RemoteTech_REMOVEMAXQ.cfg

I think I found the error: It's my savegame. If I start a new sandbox game it works as expected, in my savegame it doesn't. Guess I will have to figure out why.

Edit: Nevermind. It is definitely the engine. I used the smallest nuclear engine from this mod. And with the smallest engine from this mod, it does not work. With all the other engines from KW rocketry and the stock engines, it does work.

Edit2:

And this *might* be a fix:

The FlightCore.GetTotalThrust uses only parts which have a ModuleEngine module. But some engines (RAPIER is one stock engine that uses a different module) use a different module: ModuleEnginesFX. I am not that familiar with

Microsofts inline SQL language (what's its name again? LINQ?), so my fix would be two for loops, one for the ModuleEngines and one for the ModuleEnginesFX. Same loop, different modules.

Here is how you see that it is indeed a bug:

Build a small probe with rapier engines, set the flight computer to burn 100m/s with 100% thrust. Press "BURN". Watch that the engines ignite, but the "remaining" delta-v value doesn't go down.

Hope that helps :).

Edited by nobody44

@nobody44 I have the same engines on some of my sat so, I don't know what your asking or trying to do, Thought you where trying to set a delay in the flight computer but watching your video you wasn't setup a time to delay, You where just setting a burn right off the bat.

@nobody44 I have the same engines on some of my sat so, I don't know what your asking or trying to do, Thought you where trying to set a delay in the flight computer but watching your video you wasn't setup a time to delay, You where just setting a burn right off the bat.

But does the FlightComputer, especially the deltav mode, work? As I said: Build a small probe with rapier engines, set the flight computer to burn 100m/s with 100% thrust. Press "BURN". Watch that the engines ignite, but the "remaining" delta-v value doesn't go down.

Loading up give me a couple of min's,I'll put 1 in space and see.

Cilph said there was a patch

maybe,but I'll try and load 1 like you said and see.

yes delta-v works with the rapier maybe you need to set a time for the burn.

EDIT when you set your delta-v burn you should see a yellow_green looking bar by the nav ball showing how much delta-v to burn and what's left to burn.

Edited by Mecripp2

Tylo landings are still something I want to make possible in the future. kOS has a new maintainer, so perhaps soon?

I would like to suggest/request that you also keep your eye on (possibly even talk to the creator of/see about working on compatibility with) Jebnix. It looks like a fairly promising, more user friendly improvement of kOS and the kerboscript language. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65005-Jebnix-A-kOS-Alternative