Rate that Sig

briansun1

10/10.

It really makes us wonder what simple flaws can cause a huge one. You see, the rocket could have landed on the right planet, but because of the left-leaning flight controller, we landed on Mars whereas we were supposed to land on Alpha Centauri. The kerbals inside us are making their way out.

But what if the mistake didn't happen? It would land on the right planet. Most of the experiments would have still succeeded, since they were made to be multirole. Multirole as a microwave, to be exact. Sarcasm?

Is sarcasm unethical? Sarcasm, of the ancient greek ÃαÃÂκαÃμÌ / sarkasmos; designates an ironic mockery, a jest that puts its target in derision. It is biting, even bitter and hurtful. It can be considered as a form of "spicy" irony, which consists of saying the opposite of what we think, while making it understood that we are doing so. Sarcasm is harder to detect than irony. In effect, being sarcastic is saying the opposite of what one thinks, without showing it, hence being deceitful. Now, I would like to address that the view of sarcasm as being rude is cultural, to me. In the U.S, it is widely considered extremely rude to be sarcastic in dialogue with another, whereas in Europe, France most exceptionally, sarcasm is regarded as being witty. The question is linked to ethics though, which is an "applied"(if i may) field of philosophy. Ethic is situated in correlation with the ethical triangle (I want, I can, I must), with ethics, ideas aren't black or white, they are applied to corresponding situations, ethics are linked to reality. I would say that sarcasm can be quite ethical to use in the case that you are familiar with its target and he is familiar with you. Sarcasm is used at a target for a goal, the important ethical dilemna lies here: "I want to use this bellicose strategy to get my point across with that particular target, should I? Must I use it to get the effect I want or can I go another way?" Should the target be novice, or amateur, and you use sarcasm to show the weakness of that target's question, or answer, than you need to know that targetting the person's intellect will be beneficial to the overall argument. Inherent with sarcasm is the idea of deceit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.