[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Am I the only one experiencing a major memory leak?

Running this (aggressive, x64) alongside several other mods, notably with Astronomers Interstellar Visual Pack and OpenGL.

Everytime I look at a distant planetoid from LKO the game totally lags out for a few seconds, even causing my iTunes to crash for a moment.

Dunno if this is related to one of the mods or the Texture compressor itself.

With 4-2? did the same thing happen with 4-1? what if you run without ATM? Have you run with Astronomer's Visual Pack before?

Which are exactly the textures that did get erroneously compressed? I'd like to compress them anyway :asd:

That one I'm not sure about. Likely resource maps and similar things. You would have to find the configs that say "compress = false" to "compress = true"

- - - Updated - - -

My game stops loading and crashes when it gets to a certain boulderco file from the Astronomer's Visual Pack

with 4-2? do you have logs?

That one I'm not sure about. Likely resource maps and similar things. You would have to find the configs that say "compress = false" to "compress = true"

Is enabled=true equivalent to compressed=true?

I've also noticed that many cfg do not allow make-not-readable command. What could possibly go wrong if I make them not readable? Something like a memory leak when they get reloaded?

with 4-2? do you have logs?

Yes, with 4-2. I'm not sure what exactly is happening, since I don't get any crash report or logs. It just stops and sits there on one file and doesn't do anything else. My CPU is getting maxed out and I can't do anything else while it's sitting on the file aside from starting the task manager and ending the KSP process. I had a similar issue with 4-1 where it got stuck on a file. With 4-2, it got passed that file but it is now stopping a few files down the line.

Some further info:

My first run with 4-1 yesterday included all of my mods before downloading Astronomer's Visual Pack (AVP) and it ran fine. After I added AVP, it would always stop on a texture file (aurora2). Removing 4-1 and using 64-bit, KSP loaded properly. I updated to 4-2 today and it got past the file aurora2 and is now stuck a few files later, kerbin1, each time I load it up and giving it some time before I end the process (between 10-20 minutes). The files are under boulderco\clouds\textures\

I don't know what else I can add. Thanks for being patient with me

I'm rolling back to 4-0 for the time being as I never had any issues with it. I tried 4-2 and for some reason it loaded KSP up with 3.2GB of VRAM usage at the main menu, consistently. Taking it out and dropping 4-0 back in gives me 2.8GB VRAM at the main menu.

Read rbrays's post now on possible mem increase. Got it, will have to tweak configs for later versions if I have to upgrade, for now happy with 4-0 thx

Edited by Gaiiden

4.2 seems to have solved all my issues though it still took nearly an hour to re-cache everything with an i7-4770k >.> . Can confirm all 8 cores where 100% and it didn't even threaten a meltdown once. With just under 50 mods, the game loads faster than ever once done. Great work, you're all heros.

Am I the only one experiencing a major memory leak?

Running this (aggressive, x64) alongside several other mods, notably with Astronomers Interstellar Visual Pack and OpenGL.

Everytime I look at a distant planetoid from LKO the game totally lags out for a few seconds, even causing my iTunes to crash for a moment.

Dunno if this is related to one of the mods or the Texture compressor itself.

My FPS drops to a slide show any time Jool is in the cameras field of view. Doesn't matter what planet I'm focused on, as soon as it is out of view FPS jumps back up to smooth as can be.

Is enabled=true equivalent to compressed=true?

I've also noticed that many cfg do not allow make-not-readable command. What could possibly go wrong if I make them not readable? Something like a memory leak when they get reloaded?

no... though, that makes me think about what happens with unhandled mods... Could be where the additional memory usage is coming from.

could be anything depending on the mod. Some use resource maps or read to get information (eg. EVE uses them as a map for volume cloud spawning).

Yes, with 4-2. I'm not sure what exactly is happening, since I don't get any crash report or logs. It just stops and sits there on one file and doesn't do anything else. My CPU is getting maxed out and I can't do anything else while it's sitting on the file aside from starting the task manager and ending the KSP process. I had a similar issue with 4-1 where it got stuck on a file. With 4-2, it got passed that file but it is now stopping a few files down the line.

Some further info:

My first run with 4-1 yesterday included all of my mods before downloading Astronomer's Visual Pack (AVP) and it ran fine. After I added AVP, it would always stop on a texture file (aurora2). Removing 4-1 and using 64-bit, KSP loaded properly. I updated to 4-2 today and it got past the file aurora2 and is now stuck a few files later, kerbin1, each time I load it up and giving it some time before I end the process (between 10-20 minutes). The files are under boulderco\clouds\textures\

I don't know what else I can add. Thanks for being patient with me

OS? Machine specs? You may have to delete the cache for those files with the update to 4-2.

no... though, that makes me think about what happens with unhandled mods... Could be where the additional memory usage is coming from.

could be anything depending on the mod. Some use resource maps or read to get information (eg. EVE uses them as a map for volume cloud spawning).

Do you think you will implement a "fix" for unhandled mods? What was the cause for ATM 4.1 to compress every texture? I'd like to replicate this behaviour but I can't find anything relative to it in the general config file ( and the fast loading of 4.2 is too good to be ditched for the slower 4.1 )

Was it in the .dll file?

Edited by Agost

Rbray thanks for the update, the clouds are working now on my x64 Linux x64 KSP build. What should we do to prevent ATM from cacheing/converting certain folders? It seems even when I make a cfg saying compressed=false or whatever the code...I still see it end up in the cache files ::shrug::

OS? Machine specs? You may have to delete the cache for those files with the update to 4-2.

Windows 7 64 bit OS, 12 GB RAM (not much help with KSP 32 bit), i7 CPU

I tried starting up with a fresh copy of 4-2, but now it became stuck on the aurora2 texture file again. The first time I got an error message saying KSP had to close and generated an error report. The second time I attempted running it, as was suggested with ATM, it became stuck again and I had to end the process myself after waiting for about 20 minutes while it wasn't doing anything.

I don't have much experience with reading output logs, but this one is clearly saying that the system ran out of memory. I find that strange because going to the task manager when it gets stuck on the file it only has between 3.0 and 3.1 GB RAM usage. I don't know how to upload it in a concise manner.

Edit: I'm also using basic ATM. I wonder if changing to aggressive will make a difference.

Edited by Peregrinuus

Is this mod supposed to hide parts? I downloaded several mods, and either this mod excludes parts to save memory, or I'm just not looking hard enough, in which case, the VAB needs a search function.

Do you think you will implement a "fix" for unhandled mods? What was the cause for ATM 4.1 to compress every texture? I'd like to replicate this behaviour but I can't find anything relative to it in the general config file ( and the fast loading of 4.2 is too good to be ditched for the slower 4.1 )

Was it in the .dll file?

It was a default value in the dll. I'll have to add a config item for this I think. In 4-1 all textures were compressed to dxt regardless.

Rbray thanks for the update, the clouds are working now on my x64 Linux x64 KSP build. What should we do to prevent ATM from cacheing/converting certain folders? It seems even when I make a cfg saying compressed=false or whatever the code...I still see it end up in the cache files ::shrug::

All textures will always get a cache file. It was faster/easier for me to do this than not. It should also mean no memory leaks in loading other formats.

Is this mod supposed to hide parts? I downloaded several mods, and either this mod excludes parts to save memory, or I'm just not looking hard enough, in which case, the VAB needs a search function.

No parts should be hidden.

- - - Updated - - -

Windows 7 64 bit OS, 12 GB RAM (not much help with KSP 32 bit), i7 CPU

I tried starting up with a fresh copy of 4-2, but now it became stuck on the aurora2 texture file again. The first time I got an error message saying KSP had to close and generated an error report. The second time I attempted running it, as was suggested with ATM, it became stuck again and I had to end the process myself after waiting for about 20 minutes while it wasn't doing anything.

I don't have much experience with reading output logs, but this one is clearly saying that the system ran out of memory. I find that strange because going to the task manager when it gets stuck on the file it only has between 3.0 and 3.1 GB RAM usage. I don't know how to upload it in a concise manner.

Edit: I'm also using basic ATM. I wonder if changing to aggressive will make a difference.

3.2 is the cap for KSP apparently.

Aggressive will make a huge difference. Sounds like you have a few too many mods to run with basic.

3.2 is the cap for KSP apparently.

Aggressive will make a huge difference. Sounds like you have a few too many mods to run with basic.

That would make sense. I was under the impression that the cap for KSP was around 3.5. I'll try aggressive now and report back in this reply.

Update: Started up KSP with aggressive, it still got stuck on the same file and crashed. Started it up again to check its memory usage and it was at 3.07 again. Output log is still saying system ran out of memory.

Edited by Peregrinuus

Oh; for the upgrade to 4.2 did I need to re-cache? Failing to delete the compressed files may be what caused the mem leak.

I don't think you should need to. However, trying it and reporting back would be good to rule it out.

That would make sense. I was under the impression that the cap for KSP was around 3.5. I'll try aggressive now and report back in this reply.

Actually, now that you mention it, I'm not so sure about 3.2. I recall that 3.2 was where people started having issues though.

I was having the cloud disappearing issue, but 4-2 seems to have fixed it. I deleted textureCache\BoulderCo\* and the recache was must faster this time around, since last night when I did the same thing with 4-1. Thanks ton for this mod.

So I'm not 100% sure this is an issue stemming from ATM but I only noticed it after caching my folders. It looks like whenever I have a cloud texture for Kerbin that texture is also layered onto Duna, Eve, Laythe, and Jool. Has anyone else seen this? The file for the cloud texture is called kerbin1 but is being applied to all of the listed planets.

So, with 4-2, if I need to change settings for whatever reason, will I need to delete the cache and let the first (long) load run again? I've been on the RAM limit for a while, and I'm constantly adjusting which mods are installed and such, and tweaking the ATM settings as needed. I like KSP, but I'd rather not wait an hour and change for it to load very often. :wink:

So, with 4-2, if I need to change settings for whatever reason, will I need to delete the cache and let the first (long) load run again? I've been on the RAM limit for a while, and I'm constantly adjusting which mods are installed and such, and tweaking the ATM settings as needed. I like KSP, but I'd rather not wait an hour and change for it to load very often. :wink:

Don't believe that is required, why did you say that?

When I installed this newest version, I only deleted the TextureReplacer and BoulderCo folders and I was good.

It was a default value in the dll. I'll have to add a config item for this I think. In 4-1 all textures were compressed to dxt regardless.

That would be very helpful and interesting!

I didn't notice any graphic or performance issue with all textures compressed, that's why I was asking how to do it