[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

So, with 4-2, if I need to change settings for whatever reason, will I need to delete the cache and let the first (long) load run again? I've been on the RAM limit for a while, and I'm constantly adjusting which mods are installed and such, and tweaking the ATM settings as needed. I like KSP, but I'd rather not wait an hour and change for it to load very often. :wink:

no... textures *should* recache automatically, aside from those that had the size issue.

I just installed v4.2 x86 Basic and the game runs at over 3.5GB with the following addons:

000_Toolbar

ActiveTextureManagement

AnimatedDecouplers

BoulderCo (Astronomer's Visual Pack - Edge of Oblivion 512k clouds, no optionals)

Chatterer

CrossFeedEnabler

EditorExtensions

EnhancedNavBall

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

Firespitter (plugin only)

Hydrogen NTRs

JSI

KerbalJointReinforcement

KWRocketry

MechJeb2

MechJeb2 Embedded by Dennis6492

NavyFish

NearFutureConstruction

NearFutureElectrical

NearFutureProps

NearFuturePropulsion

NearFutureSolar

NearFutureSpacecraft

NothkeSerCom

NovaPunch2 (only one part)

PlanetShine

ProceduralFairings

QuantumStrutsContinued

RealChute

SDHI

SelectRoot

ShipManifest

StationPartsExpansion

TriggerTech (KerbalAlarmClock and KSPAlternateResourcePanel)

ModuleManager.2.5.1

Is there no spoiler tag?

In previous versions I would be able to play for a bit, but normally a scene change would cause it to crash. However, now it basically crashes once I load the save game.

Did I miss a step or do something wrong? I had no memory issues with a similar setup in 0.24.

Running i5-2500k, 8GB RAM, Win 7 64-bit (launching game in 32 bit).

If it helps any, my textureCache folder is roughly 720MB.

I tried Aggressive, textureCache ~500MB, and it crashes consistently while assembling a modest rocket in the VAB. Similar memory usage.

Edited by Bobe

Potentially daft but quick question; I have Win 7 64-bit, but usually run KSP off it's 32-bit mode (for stability). Which version of Aggressive should I be running? x64 or x86?

x86 : the version is based on your KSP install, not on your OS

I just installed v4.2 x86 Basic and the game runs at over 3.5GB with the following addons:

000_Toolbar

ActiveTextureManagement

AnimatedDecouplers

BoulderCo (Astronomer's Visual Pack - Edge of Oblivion 512k clouds, no optionals)

Chatterer

CrossFeedEnabler

EditorExtensions

EnhancedNavBall

Hydrogen NTRs

JSI

KerbalJointReinforcement

KWRocketry

MechJeb2

NavyFish

NearFutureConstruction

NearFutureElectrical

NearFutureProps

NearFuturePropulsion

NearFutureSolar

NearFutureSpacecraft

NothkeSerCom

PlanetShine

ProceduralFairings

QuantumStrutsContinued

RealChute

SDHI

SelectRoot

ShipManifest

StationPartsExpansion

ModuleManager.2.5.1

Is there no spoiler tag?

In previous versions I would be able to play for a bit, but normally a scene change would cause it to crash. However, now it basically crashes once I load the save game.

Did I miss a step or do something wrong? I had no memory issues with a similar setup in 0.24.

I tried Aggressive, textureCache ~500MB, and it crashes consistently while assembling a modest rocket in the VAB. Similar memory usage.

That's because this versions does not compress everything. However, did you delete texture cache before changing release?

Wow, i didnt have such a long, extreme load on my CPU for months... I thought the "upwards of an hour" was just for potato PCs, but compressing Astronomers Interstellar pack seems to be a very big task, even for my i5 3570k@4,2Ghz...

Ok... now when I run the game, whenever the compressor tries to compress the Jool textures from Astronomers Vis Pack (I think its the cloud ones) my whole computer shuts itself down (with the monitor cutting off and the computer then dying down not long after). A reboot shows no problems at all.

...what the hell?

Ok... now when I run the game, whenever the compressor tries to compress the Jool textures from Astronomers Vis Pack (I think its the cloud ones) my whole computer shuts itself down (with the monitor cutting off and the computer then dying down not long after). A reboot shows no problems at all.

...what the hell?

Can't help you without knowing the whole pc configuration.

Here you go:

Win 7 64bit

AMD Athlon X2 250 Dualcore (3ghz)

8GB Physical RAM

16GB Virtual RAM

8GB Page File Space

AMD Radeon HD 5850 (1GB)

Corsair PSU (forget what wattage, but it's about roughly half a year old)

All in all it's an old rig granted, but it should run KSP fine (and has). In fact, I managed to compress ALL the textures the other day with 4.1 and 4.2; yet all of a sudden it causes the computer to utterly crash now. What gives?

Here you go:

Win 7 64bit

AMD Athlon X2 250 Dualcore (3ghz)

8GB Physical RAM

16GB Virtual RAM

8GB Page File Space

AMD Radeon HD 5850 (1GB)

Corsair PSU (forget what wattage, but it's about roughly half a year old)

All in all it's an old rig granted, but it should run KSP fine (and has). In fact, I managed to compress ALL the textures the other day with 4.1 and 4.2; yet all of a sudden it causes the computer to utterly crash now. What gives?

Your CPU isn't the most suitable for a game like KSP, which likes intel cpus and very high ST performance. However, it's probably due to overheating, as stated before.

Open your case, clean your pc and look at what exact PSU you've got. That's the second most probable cause of the shutdowns

p.s.: it's a bit OT

Your CPU isn't the most suitable for a game like KSP, which likes intel cpus and very high ST performance. However, it's probably due to overheating, as stated before.

Open your case, clean your pc and look at what exact PSU you've got. That's the second most probable cause of the shutdowns

p.s.: it's a bit OT

Ok, cleaned the PC interior, removed the outer casing (for air) and rejittered the cables going into the motherboard to make sure they fit. The thing compressed all the textures without a blink; I could even ALT/TAB out (wasn't possible before). Moreover, loading now is fast and without any hassle.

What the hell x2?

Ok, cleaned the PC interior, removed the outer casing (for air) and rejittered the cables going into the motherboard to make sure they fit. The thing compressed all the textures without a blink; I could even ALT/TAB out (wasn't possible before). Moreover, loading now is fast and without any hassle.

What the hell x2?

Yes, it probably was overheating. So, what's you exact PSU model?

000_Toolbar

ActiveTextureManagement

AnimatedDecouplers

Chatterer

CrossFeedEnabler

EditorExtensions

EnhancedNavBall

Hydrogen NTRs

JSI

KerbalJointReinforcement

KWRocketry

MechJeb2

NavyFish

NearFutureConstruction

NearFutureElectrical

NearFutureProps

NearFuturePropulsion

NearFutureSolar

NearFutureSpacecraft

NothkeSerCom

PlanetShine

ProceduralFairings

QuantumStrutsContinued

RealChute

SDHI

SelectRoot

ShipManifest

StationPartsExpansion

ModuleManager.2.5.1

Is there no spoiler tag?

Sorry, but this doesn't really tell me anything. I need your output_log.txt file to be able to do any sort of diagnosis.

So, starting with R4, it's like automated dds4ksp + ddsloader, only with normal maps being resized, right?

Pretty much, though the normal map resize is the basic config. Aggressive will half all textures.

...what the hell?

CPU is either overheating or PSU can't supply enough power. 4-2 loads the cores up to 100%, so your computer needs to be stable at max usage.

Odd I tried the latest ATM basic and my KSP crashes about 1/4 of the way through loading. I reverted back to the previous version of ATM basic and no problems. I am running X86 version, because I am not running KSP in 64bit.

I will post the output.log later when I get home near my computer.

Thought I would add a note: It DOES NOT like the Near Future parts to do with 2 of the current cockpits, possibly due to the internal views. No matter what I tried, it couldn't get past them and crashed far more times than for anything else, I ended up deleting the 2 cockpits instead. The first one of the three in that folder loaded fine.

Corsair CX600; got it half a year ago.

Not exactly the best PSU out there, but it's more than enough for you PC. It was definitely overheating.

However, my beloved rbray89 ( no homo ): what about that whole decide-what-to-compress cfg? :D

Not exactly the best PSU out there, but it's more than enough for you PC. It was definitely overheating.

However, my beloved rbray89 ( no homo ): what about that whole decide-what-to-compress cfg? :D

Well... TBH, it shouldn't save that much memory. The only difference would be that normal maps would not be compressed. Everything else should be.

Well... TBH, it shouldn't save that much memory. The only difference would be that normal maps would not be compressed. Everything else should be.

In my case the total saved memory difference was about 400MB... Without any noticeable quality loss

Can I do it by adding "compress=true" to every cfg file?

In my case the total saved memory difference was about 400MB... Without any noticeable quality loss

Can I do it by adding "compress=true" to every cfg file?

No... you would have to create a folder entry for every folder in GameData that doesn't already have a config.

No... you would have to create a folder entry for every folder in GameData that doesn't already have a config.

Wait... and the ones that already have a cfg file? Like... all my mods?

I'm starting to think that those 400 MB less camefrom black magic.