[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Hello!

I have a problem with the mod.

Maybe I am missing something but the mod does not seem to do anything to reduce the memory load.

The issue is very similar to the one described by Kowgan. The textures are compressed in terms of visual quality but that does not seem to reduce the memory usage or even increases it sometimes. The upper limit is reached unusually quickly while installing even small amounts of mods that should cause no problems.

Also the disappearing textures bug described by Kowgan too is not solved for me but instead it even happens more often because of the proximity to the memory limit. Random memory crashes happen very often also.

The original post description says that the memory usage is supposed to be cut dramatically but with my latest install attempts the result was less than fifty megabytes or so when the game would load without the mod for comparison and running exactly at the top limit if the game would not load without the mod.

Also running the game in forced OpenGL does not help at all for some reason if that helps.

Many people observe dramatic reduction in resource usage with it.

Anyway this mod is excellent but the current release does not seem to work as intended for me for some reason.

What can I do with it?

Please help!

Thank you!

So on my system, I can close all windows, run a game booster that kills off all unnecessary services, and defrag memory, then run a clean install of KSP with only ATM added. Then the game loads as if ATM never cached isn't caching anything, and runs into the heap segment error after about 15-30 seconds. I never see a sign of a textureCache folder, BTW.

I've finally gone back to ATM 4.1 and it's caching textures now. Both 4.2 and 4.3 give me the heap segment error. Maybe this is about multithreading, after all. :P

Hey there!

Having some problems with icon compression:

AOtxEtZ.png

0iCwjoV.jpg

(The icons on the toolbar (Stock and blizzy's) are very blurry.)

Is there any way to stop ATM from compressing low resolution textures? (ATM basic x86)

Cheers!

To those with the HEAP error:

A couple questions:

I noticed a pattern that those with the error have 32 bit machines running windows... is that correct? There may be something we can do, but it will probably mean disabling the multithreaded option.

Please add your windows version, processor core count, and ram size.

I feel my mistake. I accidentally bought Windows from a 32-bit Windows machine... so now I have 32 bit win 8.1... 8GB ram and PAE patched tho

Hey there!

Having some problems with icon compression:

http://i.imgur.com/AOtxEtZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/0iCwjoV.jpg

(The icons on the toolbar (Stock and blizzy's) are very blurry.)

Is there any way to stop ATM from compressing low resolution textures? (ATM basic x86)

Cheers!

I have some fixes for TAC and FAR icons on my release thread. natens active texture management configs.

basically, i haven't got to do every icon, but you just need to make a config to exclude gamedata/modfolder/Textures/.* or something.

hope this helps, but I haven't done configs in a while. sorry :(

I just posted a bunch of icon config fixes on the previous page.

Hey everyone,

I love using ATM. It helps make the game playable with the large number of mods I use. What I don't love is how it made a lot of the Toolbar icons look fuzzy, or in some cases, a gray box with no discernible shape. This would happen in both the stock toolbar and blizzy's. I had read a number of pages back that small textures were supposed to be excluded from ATM compression, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

A little more searching led me to info saying that exceptions needed to be configured to prevent compression of certain textures. After a few hours of trial and error (I'm the furthest thing from a coder) I successfully modified the config files. I started out with fixing the DeadlyReentry icon, then fixed MechJeb's, and eventually figured out how to fix the blurred out parachute category icon in the VAB.

I also added an exception to the Squad folder for the strategies folder, no more blurry strategies!

A SCANsat config file is included with ATM, but I was still getting blurry icons. I rewrote the config file in the same format as the other ones and got it working.

Here's a list of the mods and exceptions I wrote:

DeadlyReentry - Exception for the Assets folder = fixed icons

EditorExtensions - Exception for the entire EditorExtensions folder = fixed icon

FerramAerospaceResearch - Exception for the textures folder = fixed icon

MagicSmokeIndustries - Exception for the textures folder = fixed icons

MechJeb2 - Exception for icons folder = fixed icons

SCANsat - Reformatted, exception for icons folder = fixed icons

SmartStage - Exception for the entire SmartStage folder = fixed icons

Squad - Exception for the strategies and partlist folders = fixed parachute category icon in VAB and strategies icons

StageRecovery - Exception for the entire StageRecovery folder = fixed icons

ThunderAerospace - Exception for the TACLS textures folder, I also removed compression from the TACLS containers as I use those most frequently and the compression made them look pretty bad.

I've compiled all of the configs into a zip file you can download below. I hope this helps some of the other noobs like me out there! If you're using a mod with icons that you want fixed let me know and I'll see what I can do to fix it for you, I've got the hang of it now. That said, if a more experienced modded could look over my configs to check for any errors that would be great, but they all appear to work well enough.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by BaseDrifter

To those with the HEAP error:

A couple questions:

I noticed a pattern that those with the error have 32 bit machines running windows... is that correct? There may be something we can do, but it will probably mean disabling the multithreaded option.

Please add your windows version, processor core count, and ram size.

Hi;

Getting the Heap Sections error. 32bit Win7; 4-core Intel i5; 3gb RAM.

Thanks for everything, this mod is amazing. And if it's not workable, oh well, I'll just have to wait until I upgrade my PC to make the game look nice again!

Alright:

So I may or may-not be able to help with the HEAP issue.

New Beta:

https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases/tag/4-4Beta

It includes hashed texture re-use to save a bit more memory (64Mb on stock!), and an option to wait for operations to complete before initializing more tasks.

To try and combat the issue, in the ActiveTextureManagerConfig.cfg file, add another option: "WAIT = TRUE"

eg.

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER
{

DBG = TRUE
###Section for global settings

would become this:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER
{

WAIT = TRUE
DBG = TRUE

I edited the OP to clearly state: If you have any issues, we will need your output_log.txt file from KSP_Data folder. I will also need KSP version, window/linux/mac version and architecture, and memory size. Please don't post an issue without it. I will act as though you don't exist if you don't post this info.

I'm just tired of asking the same questions over and over, so if you don't have the info, you don't exist from a support standpoint :)

I edited the OP to clearly state: If you have any issues, we will need your output_log.txt file from KSP_Data folder. I will also need KSP version, window/linux/mac version and architecture, and memory size. Please don't post an issue without it. I will act as though you don't exist if you don't post this info.

I'm just tired of asking the same questions over and over, so if you don't have the info, you don't exist from a support standpoint :)

I'm really sorry. I added the KSP version to my post. I'm trying really hard to think of everything. But I never intended to aggravate. Sorry. :(

Alright:

So I may or may-not be able to help with the HEAP issue.

New Beta:

https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases/tag/4-4Beta

It includes hashed texture re-use to save a bit more memory (64Mb on stock!), and an option to wait for operations to complete before initializing more tasks.

To try and combat the issue, in the ActiveTextureManagerConfig.cfg file, add another option: "WAIT = TRUE"

eg.

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER
{

DBG = TRUE

would become this:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER
{

WAIT = TRUE
DBG = TRUE

I'm very sorry to bother again, but I'm confused. The config that comes with the 4.4 BETA has the DBG = TRUE line commented out:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER{

###DBG = TRUE

Do I need to uncomment that as well?

Sorry to be a pain to everyone.

STUPID QUESTION ALERT!

What is difference between x64 and x86 release?

that's for the version of KSP you're playing on, and doesn't have anything to do with your OS architecture. it's not a stupid question, it's very confusing.

I'm really sorry for being a bother. I'm still getting the heap sections error with the 4.4 beta, with WAIT = TRUE added to the cfg as you requested. I didn't know what DBG did but it was commented out originally--I tried that with DBG commented-out and not, but no difference.

My output_log.cfg is here.

Win7 x86, Athlon II X2 215, 4 Gb RAM, KSP 0.90.0

Please don't ignore me. I'm trying hard to give you what you're asking for, but the thought of being treated like I don't exist is really messing with my head. :(