Um, Ike? Could you scooch over a bit?

So I'm orbiting Duna at around 180km, and I'm ready to return to Kerbin. The problem is, every time I try to burn (luckily I have a quicksave), I end up with an Ike encounter and I can't see where it's going. By the time I can see the trajectory again, it's almost as low as Eve. Is there a way for it to display past the Ike encounter? Even worse, I'm worried that at a speed capable of returning to Kerbin I'd end up impacting with Ike.

Edited by Dizzle

You can change the conics so you can predict past the Ike encounter. Alternatively wait a couple of orbits then burn, so Ike is behind you as you leave. Alternatively do the math and figure out how to save a bit of fuel with a gravity assist through Ike.

If you're going to change your conic draw limit, what you'll want to do is find the line in your settings.cfg file in the main game directory that has something like "CONIC_PATCH_LIMIT = 3" (at least, I believe 3 is the default) and change the number to something higher. That will affect the number of Sphere of Influence transitions the game draws the orbit through.

As for collision woes: As long as it displays a periapsis indicator in the Ike SoI phase of the orbit trajectory, you should be safe :)

Alternatively you can change your orbit to lower or higher (circulize it I think) and that will change your orbit period so u are less likely for the ike encounter. If u happen to get an encounter still then just wait 1 orbit and try again. Jus an alternative way of doing it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.