Squadcast confirms SABRES for 0.23!

Whirligig Girl

If I'm reading the Wikipedia page right in the ~34.8 seconds I spent on it, this is an air-breathing rocket engine (workalike of KSP's jet engines) that can shut off the air intake and burn fuel+oxidizer just like a "normal" liquid-fueled rocket, yes?

That would be so cool! They giving any details on how it'll work, or do I have to be impatient for yet another update? Again.

Edit: Ninja'd by two people! I suck! :( C7's update exactly confirms what Wikipedia lead me to believe -- that's awesome and I might finally build my first SSTO! (Yeah, right! :P )

Wow... I cannot wait to use them! A 1 engine SSTO is now easier than ever due to the efficiency of the jet combined with space operation. As long as it does not hemorrhage fuel and oxidiser in space mode like some mod versions then it should be good!

Wow... I cannot wait to use them! A 1 engine SSTO is now easier than ever due to the efficiency of the jet combined with space operation. As long as it does not hemorrhage fuel and oxidiser in space mode like some mod versions then it should be good!

I have my doubts that they will be as efficient as Jet engines even in atmo, but yes it "should" be easier.

So if I understand correctly, those SABRE's are especially useful on SSTO-planes ... ?

Yes.

Indeed, in fact SSTOs would be the only situation where such an engine is useful. It should be heavier then a rocket or jet engine of comperable thrust-to-weight ratio but lighter then the two of them combined.

Indeed, in fact SSTOs would be the only situation where such an engine is useful. It should be heavier then a rocket or jet engine of comperable thrust-to-weight ratio but lighter then the two of them combined.

This. It would be silly if they were better (or even equal) at both compared to other engines. They're meant to save a little mass when you need both on a craft.

Regarding balance - should Squad now be focussing on balance for sandbox or career? For career, it'd be fine to have a highly-efficient & lightweight SABRE, if it was also very late in the tech tree & cost a tonne of cash. But for sandbox it would be overpowered, much like the aerospike was in older versions.

Everything will be changed at some point I suppose.

Regarding balance - should Squad now be focussing on balance for sandbox or career? For career, it'd be fine to have a highly-efficient & lightweight SABRE, if it was also very late in the tech tree & cost a tonne of cash. But for sandbox it would be overpowered, much like the aerospike was in older versions.

Everything will be changed at some point I suppose.

KSP is still at the stage where balance should not be too much a concern - tweaking and balancing should be done when all (or most) features are complete.

That is the point of an alpha - they release something, we play it, they get feedback and tweak it later (eg the Science system).

It's not like it's hard to go and create whatever balance you feel your game should have, anyway. Part cfg files are extraordinarily easily to modify.

I hate... no, I DESPISE advice like this.

The argument "it's not cheating, its a single-player game" holds no weight. We have a community, we share designs and ideas, we challenge one another, we look at what each other is doing and there is NOTHING more frustrating than losing a challenge or banging your head on a wall for hours before realizing the results you were trying to mimic are impossible because the install you were looking at had hacked values.

I hate... no, I DESPISE advice like this.

The argument "it's not cheating, its a single-player game" holds no weight. We have a community, we share designs and ideas, we challenge one another, we look at what each other is doing and there is NOTHING more frustrating than losing a challenge or banging your head on a wall for hours before realizing the results you were trying to mimic are impossible because the install you were looking at had hacked values.

I don't mind people editing the .cfg files in their game. It's a singleplayer game and they have every right to change it to their liking.

I think the problem you are referring to are people who DON'T TELL YOU THEY EDITED THE FILES and then issue impossible challenges or show off impossible flight missions without stating the fact. When you start sharing your designs to the community in a public area, it's no longer a singleplayer game because you are interacting with a group of people outside of your lonesome game campaign. It's important to let people know if you are using modded parts, or have an edited .cfg file because like everyone in the KSP community, they will try to test out the design and make their own to fly. Not telling them so is a massive waste of their time when they find out it doesn't work and is generally inconsiderate.

Those people, I despise.

Edited by Levelord

Does that mean spaceplanes finally become viable without air hogging? Because that is the one thing that kept me from making them, I always felt stupid when I started stacking intakes and decided to wait for properly balanced spaceplane mechanics.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.