Why is KW Rocketry So Unstable?

Skyler4856

TMS is right.

Connections in KSP have a limit. The bigger the parts you use the more stress you exert on those connections. KW rocketry is clearly pushing the limits.

Adding struts in the right places can solve reinforce the joints as can Kerbal Joint Reinforcement. KJR is not a complete substitute for struts but it greatly reduced their need.

More struts.

I could not disagree more...

Most rockets with structural issues do not need more struts, but rather the same struts put in the right place.

KW parts are really average size, nothing that pushes size limits, not even close (Gabys Q&D..thats pushing limits lol). Knowing how to strut is alot better than just randomly adding 'more stuts'....

INTERNAL STRUTTING....this should be done to every part in your build. With KJR you can use 2 between each part...without it I would suggest 4. Typically a multiple stage single stack rocket will require no external struts if the internal struts are done properly.

When strutting boosters or lateral stages externaly try to put struts at 45deg angles, this provides added stability. For larger rockets make sure your external stuts are placed in a strait line, as having even a little bit of offset to them can cause issues if there is any flex at all during assent.

The larger KW parts have issues, but they are easily solvable by "stitch-strutting" with the heavier struts KW provides. KJR actually solved most of the issues I'd seen with KW 3.75m parts, I highly recommend it.

Here's a question: why did squad make the stock parts so damn wobbly? I hardly consider it fun every time my rocket wet noodles, causing me to add a bunch of struts and part-counting my computer on fire

Because the stock joint system was build in the days that we only had 1.25m parts that didn't need strutting. As a result the springs simulating the joints do not scale with part diameter (unless you use the KJR addon) and thus bigger parts wobble. It's just one of those programming relics that worked fine at the time but is outdated nowadays. But since it is rarely an issue unless you play with mods that add 3.75 or even 5m parts it isn't high on squads priority list.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.