How Low Can You Go... with fuel consumption to orbit?

TUFOM

Challenge description:

Get to stable orbit as low amount of liquidfuel you can.

Rules:

1. Get to stable Orbit +70km pe/ap

2. Included parts: Mk1-2 command pod, Mk16-XL parachute, any fuel tank, Clamp-O-Tron Sr. docking port (why docking port? because we wont want that oribiting pod to be stranded in orbit, it must have capability for refueling (and return from orbit) Parachute must allow your kerbals safe return. SRB usage forbidden.

3. You can use Mechjeb/Kerbal Engineer if needed, besides that stock parts only. (autopilot is allowed but it must be mentioned and it will showed along your result)

4. VAB only

5. Screenshots from launchpad, your final stage before orbit and stable orbit.

Used fuel will be your result. Including only full numbers (not 0. units). Lower is better.

My entries:

EoeZQXDl.png qyWgHIRl.png

woxXsDsl.png pqTPNWjl.png

hDWQ8Y6l.png 2TuJYlel.png

Units of liquid fuel used:

Rocket category:

1. 1525, Mesklin

2. 1841, Tufom

Hybrid category (airbreathing & liquidfuel engines):

1. 54, Mesklin

2. 233, Tufom

3. 752, 700NitroXpress

Since SRBs cannot be refueled category removed.

Edited by TUFOM

Not offend any way to be fair I will split this in two categories rocket/hybrid. Hybrid meaning jet & rocket engines were used because of huge difference between these.

That's why I asked. There is a huge disparity there when you're lifting a light load.

My hybrid entry:

ANPgcyRl.png

uNe9OcZl.png

^^

J9bHeZKl.png

520 units of liquid fuel. Pretty close one that was. :D

Edit: Noticed that picture of cutting jets is from failed attempt and I don't have pic from that stage craft that worked. I will add all my fuel to my result because I can't be exactly sure how much I used.

Edited by TUFOM

Does this count?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Technically, nothing was said about SRBs in any way, shape or form, so my score would be 0, since I used no liquid fuel to get to orbit. I used it to de-orbit, but alas, this was not part of the challenge.

I understand if you overlooked SRBs, things happen, you don't have to count this entry. At most, I just did really well. At least, I just exposed a loophole in your rules hehehe c:

-M5K

Thanks for pointing that out. I am in crazy mood and I will add category even for SRBs but it will be SRB only. In other categories SRBs will be forbidden.

If you can calculate solid fuel usage from that when stable orbit was achieved your entry will be first. :)

Edit: but sadly your craft have no ability to refuel... that is pointed out in rules.

Edited by TUFOM

If you can calculate solid fuel usage from that when stable orbit was achieved your entry will be first. :)

Edit: but sadly your craft have no ability to refuel... that is pointed out in rules.

Nah, it's okay. I was just throwing things at a wall to see what sticks.

Also, about the refueling thing, I thought we just needed a clamp-o-tron senior that was intended (but not required) to be able to be used to refuel. I misunderstood, but that's okay. I just wanted to see if you overlooked SRBs or if I could somehow win by being sneaky.

Fun little challenge! c:

-M5K

If not for forgetting a fuel line I'd have gotten it in less than 57.27 units:

I have about 35 m/s with the LV-1 and Oscar-B, whereas my maneuver node that pulls periapsis up to 70km is just 18.7 m/s. But there's no path for fuel to get to the engine. Oops.

Jet stage is 1 turbojet, 16 ram intakes, 1 radial, MechJeb ascent with 10km start, 35 km end, 40% turn, 0 angle, 5% safety margin, prevent flameouts, manage intakes. But there's a bug in the current released version apparently: it keeps cutting out, so I had to nurse it by switching to 50% safety margin until the engine reignited, then back to 5%. Otherwise I'd just fix my fuel line and make a correct entry while cooking dinner.

BTW, your demand for a rockomax decoupler is a bit odd; I took it to mean that it had to reach orbit, but 700NitroXpress decoupled it. If it doesn't have to reach orbit, then I'll just pop it off on the ground; I'd save 10% of payload, and thus about that much fuel.

Beyond SRBs, infiniglide and stack separators will make a mockery of this challenge.

BTW, your demand for a rockomax decoupler is a bit odd; I took it to mean that it had to reach orbit, but 700NitroXpress decoupled it. If it doesn't have to reach orbit, then I'll just pop it off on the ground; I'd save 10% of payload, and thus about that much fuel.

It says that the parts must be included in the design, but it doesn't say anything about it reaching orbit except for the docking port.

Power of 48-7S

Here is classical rocket design, liters spent: 1525. Payload ratio is 19.15%, that very close to records from this challenge

You could also stick that parachute onto the decoupler and leave it behind.

Good idea, thanks, but I love kerbanauts :), they should have possibility to return safely back to Kerbin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.