Centaur00-42: Revolutionizing landers

Here is something alittle different from Forty-Two Industries, a belly-down lander capable of deploying large loads of cargo.

ksp2012011517404666.png

As you can see, the Centaur00-42 has a huge advantage over conventional landers that land facing up. With this concept design (hence 00, this is a prototype), Forsetian miliary forces will be able to transport all different kinds of cargo, probes, and other supplies.

Like I said earlier, this is the rounded design. Other such designs for other destinations such as the mun, a lighter fuselage and less fuel will be the way to go. Perhaps a shuttle hybrid for that matter on long distance atmosphere travel aswell.

With larger legs on a larger lander, I was able to create a form of semi-suspension with the struts going from the legs to the vertical fuel tank on top of the vehicle. That means less likely is there to be actual damage in a hard landing.

The fact that is can still fly level after deploying cargo is for me quite a relief to be over with once I centered the payloads directly in the middle, so either way you can still fly it like a pro. I will be releasing the .craft file after further development, but put ideas down here.

ksp2012011517411070.png

Soon enough I can see this Eagle-Transporter design to be used frequently in the future.

---VIDEO---

Excellent work. Though I could probably have done something similar if I\'d had the space station node. Its been released?

For a few days actually: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=5881.0

Though I advise you proceed with caution with those. Pain in the ASS sometimes when it comes to symmetry.

I mean with the node piece... I can\'t get that to work at all.

Ah, yes, those troll you hard.

What I did to get the legs on facing the right way was to temporarily build it on the bottom of the ship, then made the nodes touch and it should glitch the piece into a horizontal state.

Ah, yes, those troll you hard.

What I did to get the legs on facing the right way was to temporarily build it on the bottom of the ship, then made the nodes touch and it should glitch the piece into a horizontal state.

Similar to getting things to attatch horizontally to Probododyne struts.

Except I can do it a lot more easily with Nova\'s mini decoupler.

Certainty is approaching 1 that i will put putting absurdly powerful downfacing engines on one.

Are your downfacing ones VTOL jets or flight assists in place of wings?

VTOL jets. C7 needs to make larger more appealing versions, so it doesnt look like a freaking mutated cow with dozens of utters.

Nowhere near ready, but allow me to present what I have so far - The Moo Cow:

screenshot152a.png

screenshot157n.png

Not particularly stable, and quite a feat to get off the pad. Needs more work.

My first design was to have the spine stay attached from above like the real Eagle Transporter, but then after detachment, its center of gravity was way off. Can it still fly without the weight in the center?

Guest Flixxbeatz

Well this gave me an idea, but decided to

I have a plan to mess with some C7 Mk2 parts to make them look like (and transform them completely into) cargo holds. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.